Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Eastern Arc Signal Strength

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ontwowheels

ontwowheels

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:35 AM

New to Dish Network and satellite in general. During the check switch screen, what should I be seeing as far as signal strenght on the various transponders for 77, 72.7 and 61.5?

During some mild rain a few evenings ago I started loosing 72.7 channels, and I notice that my 72.7 signal is not nearly as strong as 61.5. I have a tech coming out tomorrow, what is realistic to shoot for in terms of signal strength?

Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 09:58 AM

Currently, I am 25 percent eastern arc (77 only). I have a dish 500 (with an "I" adapter) and from the 15 live transponders on the 77 degree satellite I am getting signals between 58 and 62 here in the Cincinnati area. I was using that dish for 61.5 and the signal strength on the national transponders (no spot beams hit this area) were in the 55 to 65 range. When I was moving my dish to 77 from 61.5 I did hit the 72.7 degree satellite (the elevation for 77 and 72.7 is only one degree different in this area so the dish was not perfectly peeked) and the signal on the transponder that I was looking at (it was either 17 or 20) was 55.

I do know a retail dealer that has a dish 1000.4 in this area (and he is the only one, 1000.4 dishes are almost impossible to get in this area) and his signals on the 77 degree satellite are 5 - 7 points lower than mine are with a dish 500. He peeked it before 77 was live (following DISH's instructions to peek it on 72.7) so, perhaps, he could get slightly a better signal on 77 (but that might lower the other slots).

Good luck on your re-peek. I wonder how many other 1000.4 dishes will need to re-peeked? There always seems to be a problem when dish introduces new dishes. I don't know if that is because of installers not taking their time to do it right or what.

Once we are officially in the eastern arc I will likely get a dish 1000.4 (just to see what it is like to install one) but that will likely not be until next spring. We had our first snow today and "dish tweaking time" is over for this year.
Bill R

#3 OFFLINE   BNUMM

BNUMM

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:17 PM

I have installed several 1000.4 dishes. The 61.5 is not as strong as with a Dish 500. On the 1000.4 I usually get around 50 on signal strength for 61.5 and slightly lower for 72.5 & 77.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...