Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Tool recommendations for newbie

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jjou812

jjou812

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:22 AM

Sat meter and inclinometer. Which ones do/don't you recommend? There are lots on ebay.

Thanx

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jkane

jkane

Icon

• Registered
  • 695 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:03 AM

Protractor, string, weight (plumb bob), and a compass. That's all you need.
- Jeff
922, 722, 501.

#3 OFFLINE   FTA Michael

FTA Michael

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:16 AM

Inclinometer - the degree markings on the side of your dish mount.

Sat meter - the signal quality reading on your receiver.

#4 OFFLINE   Bill R

Bill R

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:27 AM

I agree with Michael. Other than common tools, that you likely have, nothing else is needed unless you are planning on going into the install business.
Bill R

#5 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:25 AM

I agree with Michael. Other than common tools, that you likely have, nothing else is needed unless you are planning on going into the install business.

If you are going into the install business your employer will have a list of required tools that they will sell you at a slight markup and arrange a payment plan they will deduct from your pay.:)

#6 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:38 PM

Sat meter and inclinometer. Which ones do/don't you recommend? There are lots on ebay.

Thanx

You haven't said if you were trying to be a pro installer, in which case investing in tools to do the job quickly is vital, or just trying to install your own dish. If the latter, it usually isn't cost-effective to buy a lot of specialized tools when you can trade man-hours instead.

I have a list of tools I give to new installers, with a "must-have" and a "recommended" section. If folks are interested, I'll post it.

#7 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:16 PM

I agree with Mike.

I have a Birdog, and that was a very expensive toy only to use once and awhile. Now I do maintain a sat farm.... if I didn't I would not even have that. A plumb disc level, compass, and a toner will do just fine.

As far as toys, I do like this tool. It replaced my plumb level and compass. Not bad for $20.

#8 OFFLINE   jjou812

jjou812

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:42 PM

thanx for all the quick replies. i should have been more specific. yes i am getting into the install business as an independent contractor. the guy whose been training me has a sat buddy and a suunto. i thought i'd get more opinions before i bought anything.

#9 OFFLINE   BUCKMEISTER

BUCKMEISTER

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

thanks for all the quick replies. i should have been more specific. yes i am getting into the install business as an independent contractor. the guy whose been training me has a sat buddy and a Santo. i thought I'd get more opinions before i bought anything.

Suunto combo is good. I use a Brunton L7 pocket transit. I also like the Acutrac 22 meter. It is cheap, and sensitive. My .02!

#10 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:55 PM

There's no way I'd work Dish without a Birdog meter. It supports DiSEqC switching (for DishPro and DishProPlus switches) and confirms you've hit the correct satellites. Having used other meters, there's no comparison. The only other good choice for Dish would be the Super Sat Buddy, but that's even more expensive.

I can diagnose dish problems with a Birdog in a few minutes, without having to remove and replace the LNB constantly to move my cable to different ports on the LNB. Without DiSEqC switching, you're stuck with reading the default signal on whichever port you are hooked up to.

#11 OFFLINE   nismo

nismo

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:20 PM

Suunto (or similar) is recommended. Don't leave it in your back pocket as you may accidentally crack the plastic housing by sitting on it.

Here's a tried and true method for peaking a 500 (119/110) or Standalone Dishes (61.5, etc)

A battery powered meter such as the Channel Master 1007IFD and a DP Dual (or single)

When peaking the 500 Dish, leave out the DPPlus Twin, and peak with the DP Dual. With a plumb mast, azimuth sighted, elevation and skew set, peak on the 119 side and 110 comes in perfect, every time. Lock the dish down and install the DPPlus Twin. The first few months on the job (before this technique) it was a learning curve, but once I developed this method, it has worked perfectly for 3 years now. I've even been to service calls and re-peaked other tech's installs and gain an average of 15%, even if the numbers were acceptable.

If you're on a budget for now, you don't need to shell out $400 for a Birdog. It is a nice meter, and very helpful, but if you develop a technique, you can go without. I've recently replaced the 1007IFD with a the Dual Sat version (1008IFD) since my last meter slid off a roof onto granite and broke. I rarely ever use the dual sat feature--usually single like before. -Definitely miss the 1007IFD.

#12 OFFLINE   Jason Nipp

Jason Nipp

Analog Geek in a Digital World

• Super Moderators
  • 10,040 posts
  • LocationNorthern Illinois

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:06 AM

There's no way I'd work Dish without a Birdog meter. It supports DiSEqC switching (for DishPro and DishProPlus switches) and confirms you've hit the correct satellites. Having used other meters, there's no comparison. The only other good choice for Dish would be the Super Sat Buddy, but that's even more expensive.

I can diagnose dish problems with a Birdog in a few minutes, without having to remove and replace the LNB constantly to move my cable to different ports on the LNB. Without DiSEqC switching, you're stuck with reading the default signal on whichever port you are hooked up to.

Agree, My Birdog has helped me out of many jams, especially on close orbits. Birdog identifies which satellite you are looking at and is flash upgradeable.

#13 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:49 AM

Here's a tried and true method for peaking a 500 (119/110) or Standalone Dishes (61.5, etc)

A battery powered meter such as the Channel Master 1007IFD and a DP Dual (or single)

When peaking the 500 Dish, leave out the DPPlus Twin, and peak with the DP Dual.

The problem is that you're going to be increasingly using either a 1000.2 or 1000.4 dish, both of which use switch-integrated LNBs that require DiSEqC signaling to switch, and neither dish can be used with a DP Dual. Even then, you many times have to aim a dish in such a way that the LNB isn't accessable without moving the dish. And the installation business is all about time savings, or you don't make any money. With a Birdog, no dish takes more than 2 minutes to peak, and you KNOW you are done and can put your ladder away.

Before I had one, I didn't understand how important this was, but having had one, I regret not buying one sooner and wasting hours and hours of time that could have been "solved" by having a Birdog.

spam firewall