Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Still trying to get installed

public interest

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   JoeF

JoeF

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:30 AM

My install should have been completed last week, but due to some mistakes by the installers, they couldn't get the job done (details here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=145006)

The installers cancelled the work order due to "Line of Sight" and asupervisor was supposed to call me to come out for a second opinion. It hasn't happened. I've called the install Co. twice and D* once. How do I go about elevating this? Do I need to call D* retention?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   idigg

idigg

Legend

• Registered
  • 243 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:13 AM

How about starting 2 threads about it?

#3 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:37 AM

My install should have been completed last week, but due to some mistakes by the installers, they couldn't get the job done (details here: http://www.dbstalk.c...ad.php?t=145006)

The installers cancelled the work order due to "Line of Sight" and asupervisor was supposed to call me to come out for a second opinion. It hasn't happened. I've called the install Co. twice and D* once. How do I go about elevating this? Do I need to call D* retention?

There are two possibilities:

If the installers are right and no line of sight exists you join the ranks of potential DTV viewers who have to move or cut trees. I wonder if you had several different visits from more than one installer or a group of trainees.

Anyhow.......

The other possibility is that they missed something. If you have an obvious position on your house where the dish can be attached and the techs just reported no line of sight because they didn't want to do the work that sucks!
They should get out of installations and you should get some kind of token for wasting every bodies' time (& DTV money).

If there is no way to attached the dish to your house there may be some spot on the property where a dish can be located on a pole.There could be a charge..........which you probably can negotiate away if they missed the LOS in the first place.

Look around your yard.. Your LOS in Washington, D.C. is about 230 degrees SW and the elevation is about 40 degrees above the horizon. Go to dishpointer.com and enter your address. See if you can suggest a way.

Joe

#4 OFFLINE   JoeF

JoeF

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:58 AM

LOS isn't the problem. They had 92-98 on 101 with the "regular" LNB. When they switched to the SWM LNB, the signals dropped to zero. I found out in my other thread that they needed to reboot the receivers when they switched LNB's.
The techs told me that it was an LOS problem because the SWM LNB had a "wide beam".

My problem now, is getting the installation company to call me back and follow up with a "second opinion" like they told me.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:21 AM

The pressure needs to come from DirecTV to the HSP, or the HSP can choose to ignore you (they've been there once, and their guys called "no LOS", so they will assume that's true and not want to waste anymore time on you). Call DirecTV, tell the automated prompt "Cancel" which will take you to the Retention department, and explain BRIEFLY that you had/have 101 signal fine, and because the installers didn't follow the proper procedure setting up the receivers with the new SWM dish, they mistakenly thought you had zero signal on 101 and called "no LOS". Explain how long you have been waiting, etc. and that you'd like to have this escalated.

Try your best to be calm, which I know isn't easy. Anyway, this should generate a call to you from the HSP to schedule a new appointment, or the DirecTV CSR should give you an installation date.

Also, unless you know you have good LOS to 119, which is roughly 20 degrees to the right, standing behind the dish, and much lower on the horizon for you, they *could* still report "no LOS" and be right, because most offices still only have the 5-LNB SWM module available to them. You could head off that problem by purchasing and having ready an SL3-S (3-LNB SWM LNB module). You might also ask the HSP if they have them available, and to note your account as needing one, which may or may not help, as notes don't reliably get to techs.

From what you've said here, I totally believe that you are ABLE to be installed, though understand that if techs install a 5-LNB module, they are required to get signal from all 5 sat locations, and they may not yet have the 3-LNB modules available yet. So, by being proactive, you stand a much better chance of getting installed quickly. Otherwise, you'd likely have to try again in a couple of months after the 3-LNB modules have had time to filter into the system, and techs have more experience with SWMs.

#6 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 12:00 PM

Ah, they missed something!

Notes don't get to techs.......best NOTE = TECH 2 CALL B4 ARRIVAL

Then you can ask him if he has the right stuff in his truck and save another day of hanging around.

Joe

#7 OFFLINE   RobertE

RobertE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,024 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:13 PM

Ah, they missed something!

Notes don't get to techs.......best NOTE = TECH 2 CALL B4 ARRIVAL

Then you can ask him if he has the right stuff in his truck and save another day of hanging around.

Joe

I love those notes. Not. :mad:

"Deee....DEEeeee....DEEEEEE....We're sorry, the number you have dialed has been disconnected. Please check the number and try again."
Have an Error or Diagnostic code? Find out what it means and how to fix it here: Click Me
Having issues with your HD locals? Report them here: Click Me
Is your receiver compatible with MRV? Check Here

#8 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 03:37 PM

I love those notes. Not. :mad:

"Deee....DEEeeee....DEEEEEE....We're sorry, the number you have dialed has been disconnected. Please check the number and try again."

I like the notes, especially if they go in the correct area in the order.
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#9 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:00 PM

I like the notes, especially if they go in the correct area in the order.

When the customer moves they disconnect their phone if the have one.
The new number is not connected (yet).
The personal cell phone of the customer is confidential and there is no way DTV is gettin it!
The number on the WO is a friend or relative who has no idea where the cx is.

My fav was.........."just go to the volunteer fire department...if I'm not there they know where I am."

Of course if there are directions that even mention a red barn out back you will never find the place.

The one to throw away says: "DO NOT MISS THIS JOB AGAIN!"

Any of these could be added to one of six AM jobs.

Joe

#10 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 04:44 PM

When the customer moves they disconnect their phone if the have one.
The new number is not connected (yet).
The personal cell phone of the customer is confidential and there is no way DTV is gettin it!
The number on the WO is a friend or relative who has no idea where the cx is.

My fav was.........."just go to the volunteer fire department...if I'm not there they know where I am."

Of course if there are directions that even mention a red barn out back you will never find the place.

The one to throw away says: "DO NOT MISS THIS JOB AGAIN!"

Any of these could be added to one of six AM jobs.

Joe

that is truly dippy, I tell the customer that they better darn well give a number where the tech can reach them directly. I also told a customer once who wanted a tech to come out for a non directv issue that the tech would get annoyed and would probably rip his dish off the roof if we sent the tech out for an issue that was not related to directv in any way.

#11 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 05:07 PM

that is truly dippy, I tell the customer that they better darn well give a number where the tech can reach them directly. I also told a customer once who wanted a tech to come out for a non directv issue that the tech would get annoyed and would probably rip his dish off the roof if we sent the tech out for an issue that was not related to directv in any way.

Yup,

I had to dig into my bag all the way back to 1994 with DTV, PrimStar and CATV to find those examples. Most jobs just go in without too much confusion. It is the money end that is declining....

But, ya know, Curt, sometimes a non DTV message or request can be a good thing. For example if you get a message in CSR land that reads....."..my husband just flew out, the kids are with him and I will be ALONE for three days........Have the tech park his van in the garage. ...."....I think it would be wrong not to pass that information to every tech in the nearby zips.

Joe

#12 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 06:12 PM

Yup,

I had to dig into my bag all the way back to 1994 with DTV, PrimStar and CATV to find those examples. Most jobs just go in without too much confusion. It is the money end that is declining....

But, ya know, Curt, sometimes a non DTV message or request can be a good thing. For example if you get a message in CSR land that reads....."..my husband just flew out, the kids are with him and I will be ALONE for three days........Have the tech park his van in the garage. ...."....I think it would be wrong not to pass that information to every tech in the nearby zips.

Joe

customers VHS tape is stuck in his VCR. he wants a tech to fix it. would that be custom work/ I think so, you drive 2 hrs to get there, he does not want to pay, you leave, but first, you rip his dish down for wasting 4 hours of your time? :D :nono:

#13 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:45 PM

At least you're smart enough not to actually schedule a service call. I've been sent out on such wild goose chases before, and no one cares that they're wasting my time and money to do so. No tech is going to want to have to deal with a stuck VCR tape, especially since it often means a broken VCR. And naturally, if you touch it, the customer will blame you for breaking it, and expect you to reimburse them full purchase price (from 1997, when a basic VCR cost $600) for their worn-out hunk of crap.

The reason they are calling DirecTV (or Dish) for such work is because they are used to getting everything "free" from the sat techs, so they naturally figure it'll be cheaper to get a sat tech to come out and fix their VCR than to take it to a repair shop.

As it is, customers constantly lie, or blatently omit relevant information, to get free service calls.

"My receiver isn't getting satellite signal!" = Dog chewed sat cable in half.

"I can't see my DirecTV on my TV!" = Just bought a new TV and don't know how to hook it up.

"The tech didn't hook up my TV!" = My new flat-panel is still in the box, and I wanted the tech to mount it on the wall and hook up my 4 components. "You have a mount and 15' cables for all my stuff, right? I don't want to see any wires, either!"

"My DVR isn't giving me any sound." = Customer bought new home-theater-in-a-box, and it's still sitting in the box, waiting for the sat tech to "come and install it."

"I can't record to my VCR" = The VCR, looking like it was just pulled out of a dumpster after being dragged behind a car for 20 miles, is sitting on the bed in the room with the TV. Once connected, it doesn't even power up.

In every case, the "CSR said you would fix it", even though most of the time I know they are lying.

#14 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:12 PM

Some of the stuff IIP & Curt mentioned can be viewed as an opportunity.

For years I had a basic installation list. Everything else had a price tag. I offered my price. They could do it themselves or they could hire someone else.
Sing Ho for the life of a contractor!
More fav quotes..........So you are not going to hook up the stuff now? Too many trees for ya? Well how about just leaving the 125ft of free cable for each receiver? I'll cut the trees down and wire the receivers myself.

Then there was the service call for the defective remote: A road crew had hung a dish and activated a receiver in a trailer with an adult in need of protection. He was using his TV remote and nothing was happening. When I put batteries in his new DTV remote all was well....."tankyou!" The TP manager had called DTV and they rolled a truck...me! Not my job.took six weeks to get paid on that one.........others still unpaid.

I am not sure it is getting better....just different.

Red Green understood all this.

Joe

#15 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:04 AM

Some of the stuff IIP & Curt mentioned can be viewed as an opportunity.

For years I had a basic installation list. Everything else had a price tag. I offered my price. They could do it themselves or they could hire someone else.
Sing Ho for the life of a contractor!
More fav quotes..........So you are not going to hook up the stuff now? Too many trees for ya? Well how about just leaving the 125ft of free cable for each receiver? I'll cut the trees down and wire the receivers myself.

Then there was the service call for the defective remote: A road crew had hung a dish and activated a receiver in a trailer with an adult in need of protection. He was using his TV remote and nothing was happening. When I put batteries in his new DTV remote all was well....."tankyou!" The TP manager had called DTV and they rolled a truck...me! Not my job.took six weeks to get paid on that one.........others still unpaid.

I am not sure it is getting better....just different.

Red Green understood all this.

Joe

if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

#16 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:09 PM

if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

ZACTLY!

Joe

#17 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:40 PM

ZACTLY!

Joe

but, could you really fix a satellite dish that was mounted improperly with 2 - 3 rolls of Duct Tape?

#18 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:01 PM

Look for a local retailer. Most of the times they have more experienced techs.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#19 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:11 PM

Look for a local retailer. Most of the times they have more experienced techs.

Using two rolls is clearly the work of an an incompetent hack. Using three rolls shows experience and skill. Most of the local retailers do have more experience....that is why many will not do DTV work through most HSPs.

Try going to a Radio Shack and explaining how you love the DTV picture quality and line up and would like to get an installation scheduled.

Joe

#20 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:14 PM

Using two rolls is clearly the work of an an incompetent hack. Using three rolls shows experience and skill. Most of the local retailers do have more experience....that is why many will not do DTV work through most HSPs.

Try going to a Radio Shack and explaining how you love the DTV picture quality and line up and would like to get an installation scheduled.

Joe

they would laugh their heads off, RadioShack does not sell or install directv, they do Dish

spam firewall