Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Still trying to get installed

public interest

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   David MacLeod

David MacLeod

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,689 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:53 PM

if the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

I love that show !!! record it every night here. got the movie but have not watched it yet.
keep your stick on the ice :)
Dave MacLeod
S.I.H.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 10:38 PM

they would laugh their heads off, RadioShack does not sell or install directv, they do Dish

Curt,

No kidding...try it. They did DTV at one time and now they don't. There is a reason. Radio Shack did PrimeStar. DTV bought PrimeStar. Then they did DISH and DTV...... and then ...
Just DISH.

Try it and see what they say.

Joe

#23 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,962 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:25 PM

What's new??

#24 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:48 PM

What's new??

The OP is still having Issues. :mad: :mad: :nono: :mad: :mad:

I think it is time for me to work the Big Magic
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#25 OFFLINE   JoeF

JoeF

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 05:41 PM

The OP is still having Issues. :mad: :mad: :nono: :mad: :mad:

I think it is time for me to work the Big Magic

When I gt home from work there was a message on my machine from DirecSat saying they have installation openings and to call back and schedule. I'll call in the a.m., more to follow...

#26 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:05 PM

When I gt home from work there was a message on my machine from DirecSat saying they have installation openings and to call back and schedule. I'll call in the a.m., more to follow...

cool. it helps when Directv tells DirecSat that they are gonna get bopped.

#27 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:01 PM

Does someone next door have D*?? might be easier at this point to just go over there to watch tv:p just kidding.... good luck with the new installers, hop you will be joining us soon....

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch
Living Room: R16-300
Master Bedroom: D12-500
Kids Bedroom: D12-500

Proudly Non Comcastic since 2007

#28 OFFLINE   JoeF

JoeF

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:46 AM

OK, I'm back on the schedule. This Monday afternoon 12-4. I'm a little concerned about the p.m. slot, but I'll give 'em the benefit of the doubt for now.

#29 OFFLINE   AntAltMike

AntAltMike

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,962 posts
  • LocationCollege Park MD (just outside Wash, DC)

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:29 PM

"Can you be home from next Tuesday at 2:00 PM, until forever?"

- Customer service rep to Bart Simpson

#30 OFFLINE   sonnik

sonnik

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:58 AM

If it's worth anything, I had this same thing happen to me.

I just bought a nice new HDTV, and was anxious to get an HD DVR and programming source.

I had DirecTV send their preferred installer (Ironwood) in the area. It was a Saturday appointment. I think the guy was basically hung over and didn't want to deal with an HD installation on a Saturday. (He showed up 10 minutes prior to the end of the four hour installation window also).

I ran to the local cable company and picked up a box, and then called to cancel. The DirecTV Retention people did try to send a different installer, but it was too late. I was only one year into my two-year agreement, so I had to eat $106 also.

Later, I was getting sick of the limited programming of the cable company (Cox). I opted to call a guy in the Yellow Pages directly as a new install. I explained my difficulties with Ironwood.

What's sad is that the one crappy guy from the DirecTV preferred installers can ruin the reputation of both businesses. DirecTV is a good company, and the SD installer was a sharp guy. This company was very prompt and friendly. If I had a need for it, I'd give them as much business as I could for any A/V service.

But after the service I had with the smaller guy in the yellow pages, I may just elect to pay him directly for the install with an upcoming move I have.

Anyhow, my point is that despite the Ironwood guy saying I had no LOS, and I challenged him, and his supervisor, etc (knowing I have good signal on 101) - I was right. I get great signal, and I've even re-peaked my dish myself after last year's monsoon season (tripod install) with no difficulty.

Sometimes these guys just make crap up to get out of doing labor. This is probably a case of the installers getting hourly pay regardless if the install is completed or not. There should be more of an 'incentive' bonus for a complete installation directly to the employee completing the install.

#31 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:28 AM

If it's worth anything, I had this same thing happen to me.

I just bought a nice new HDTV, and was anxious to get an HD DVR and programming source.

I had DirecTV send their preferred installer (Ironwood) in the area. It was a Saturday appointment. I think the guy was basically hung over and didn't want to deal with an HD installation on a Saturday. (He showed up 10 minutes prior to the end of the four hour installation window also).

I ran to the local cable company and picked up a box, and then called to cancel. The DirecTV Retention people did try to send a different installer, but it was too late. I was only one year into my two-year agreement, so I had to eat $106 also.

Later, I was getting sick of the limited programming of the cable company (Cox). I opted to call a guy in the Yellow Pages directly as a new install. I explained my difficulties with Ironwood.

What's sad is that the one crappy guy from the DirecTV preferred installers can ruin the reputation of both businesses. DirecTV is a good company, and the SD installer was a sharp guy. This company was very prompt and friendly. If I had a need for it, I'd give them as much business as I could for any A/V service.

But after the service I had with the smaller guy in the yellow pages, I may just elect to pay him directly for the install with an upcoming move I have.

Anyhow, my point is that despite the Ironwood guy saying I had no LOS, and I challenged him, and his supervisor, etc (knowing I have good signal on 101) - I was right. I get great signal, and I've even re-peaked my dish myself after last year's monsoon season (tripod install) with no difficulty.

Sometimes these guys just make crap up to get out of doing labor. This is probably a case of the installers getting hourly pay regardless if the install is completed or not. There should be more of an 'incentive' bonus for a complete installation directly to the employee completing the install.

Everything you said seems accurate. Your experience is duplicated often.....I get the same stories where I am.

The variation I get is that people call DTV and specifically ask for me but get a recent hire from out of the area. It is the way DTV chooses to do business.
Bad news does not climb stairs very well and they won't let it on the elevators.

Deal with your local guy.

Joe

#32 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:44 AM

Of course I have no way of knowing what happened, so you could be absolutely correct, but it could also be that the guy was simply exhausted. Most installers are forced to work at least 6 days a week, and often given double the number of jobs that they could reasonably complete in a 12 hour day. A typical HD install takes 3-4 hours, yet it isn't unusual for an installer to be routed 4 AM and 2 PM jobs. Since this certainly means that several of those customers aren't going to get installed, the tech is almost always going to try to do the easiest jobs, or the ones closest together. You'd do the same in his shoes; it's survival.

Techs don't get paid hourly, they get paid by the job. This, in theory, gives them motivation to get those jobs in. But the reality is that when they are over-routed every day, the incentive they have is to do the easist work.

The *right* answer would be to hire enough techs to meet the workload, but the pay is so low, and the treatment of the techs is so bad that turnover is huge. At any time, about half of the techs working for an HSP have less than 2 months of experience. The ones that last are the ones who learn how to exploit the system, by taking shortcuts on the install and by cherry-picking jobs. The ones who don't do this either get smart and quit or they keep working until they can no longer afford to. Meanwhile the HSP makes triple or more from DirecTV what they pay to the installer.

DirecTV has recently bought out several HSPs, but they need to buy out the rest of them and completely redo the pay structure, because with the increased competition in the market, fewer customers are going to put up with the problems the HSP program has created.

#33 OFFLINE   kevinm34232

kevinm34232

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 06:36 PM

I don't know about the rest of you installers, but since about Halloween, the work here has dropped dramatically. There is no excuse for not getting to the job, and doing it right.

#34 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:10 PM

I don't know about the rest of you installers, but since about Halloween, the work here has dropped dramatically. There is no excuse for not getting to the job, and doing it right.

Yo Kevin,

EXCUSE is the wrong word. Today I did what could be called mover's connection. The DTV customer would not deal with the DTV / HSP. My rate is $60.00 /hr.

It was a plain vanilla relocate the dish. The road crew that did the initial installation stapled some cables and were no longer available to fix it.

Cut the crap!

Joe

#35 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:15 PM

[quote name='IIP']Of course I have no way of knowing what happened, so you could be absolutely correct, but it could also be that the guy was simply exhausted. Most installers are forced to work at least 6 days a week, and often given double the number of jobs that they could reasonably complete in a 12 hour day. A typical HD install takes 3-4 hours, yet it isn't unusual for an installer to be routed 4 AM and 2 PM jobs. Since this certainly means that several of those customers aren't going to get installed, the tech is almost always going to try to do the easiest jobs, or the ones closest together. You'd do the same in his shoes; it's survival.

Techs don't get paid hourly, they get paid by the job. This, in theory, gives them motivation to get those jobs in. But the reality is that when they are over-routed every day, the incentive they have is to do the easist work.

The *right* answer would be to hire enough techs to meet the workload, but the pay is so low, and the treatment of the techs is so bad that turnover is huge. At any time, about half of the techs working for an HSP have less than 2 months of experience. The ones that last are the ones who learn how to exploit the system, by taking shortcuts on the install and by cherry-picking jobs. The ones who don't do this either get smart and quit or they keep working until they can no longer afford to. Meanwhile the HSP makes triple or more from DirecTV what they pay to the installer.

DirecTV has recently bought out several HSPs, but they need to buy out the rest of them and completely redo the pay structure, because with the increased competition in the market, fewer customers are going to put up with the problems the HSP program has created.[/QUOTE

IIP

I await the first court case where a tech gets one of those STDs trying to get a route that is possible.

Joe

#36 OFFLINE   kevinm34232

kevinm34232

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:22 PM

Yo Kevin,

EXCUSE is the wrong word. Today I did what could be called mover's connection. The DTV customer would not deal with the DTV / HSP. My rate is $60.00 /hr.

It was a plain vanilla relocate the dish. The road crew that did the initial installation stapled some cables and were no longer available to fix it.

Cut the crap!

Joe

Joe, Im not sure what you're talking about. I was referring to the IIP post about the techs being overloaded (which has been the case up til now), but that, in this area atleast, work has slowed to a crawl. So it upsets me to hear customers still having these issues when there is no reason for it.

#37 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:24 PM

Joe, Im not sure what you're talking about. I was referring to the IIP post about the techs being overloaded (which has been the case up til now), but that, in this area atleast, work has slowed to a crawl. So it upsets me to hear customers still having these issues when there is no reason for it.

kevin, in some areas techs are still way overloaded. we are seeing install dates that are at least a month away. Not everywher, but in some places.

#38 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:20 PM

Kevin,

I mistook your meaning. Sorry!

Joe

#39 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 08:37 AM

Of course I have no way of knowing what happened, so you could be absolutely correct, but it could also be that the guy was simply exhausted. Most installers are forced to work at least 6 days a week, and often given double the number of jobs that they could reasonably complete in a 12 hour day. A typical HD install takes 3-4 hours, yet it isn't unusual for an installer to be routed 4 AM and 2 PM jobs. Since this certainly means that several of those customers aren't going to get installed, the tech is almost always going to try to do the easiest jobs, or the ones closest together. You'd do the same in his shoes; it's survival.

DirecTV has recently bought out several HSPs, but they need to buy out the rest of them and completely redo the pay structure, because with the increased competition in the market, fewer customers are going to put up with the problems the HSP program has created.

With that said.... the local ironwood is NOT hiring:confused: ..... the only ones here that are screaming for techs are contractors

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch
Living Room: R16-300
Master Bedroom: D12-500
Kids Bedroom: D12-500

Proudly Non Comcastic since 2007

#40 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 11:00 AM

With that said.... the local ironwood is NOT hiring:confused: ..... the only ones here that are screaming for techs are contractors

There s a reason for that,

Having an employee is a big deal. There are huge costs and responsibilities associated with managing the work of employees and complying with insurance and tax laws. That is why the concept of subcontractors became so popular. IF you can call an individual a company and make it look like you are just buying a completed item all the employee overhead goes away.

Then there is the control aspect of using contractors. The more you control a contractors actions the more he looks like an employee..........and those costs come back.

The game has been played this way for quite awhile.

Joe

Protected By... spam firewall...And...