Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Still trying to get installed

public interest

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:19 PM

There s a reason for that,

Having an employee is a big deal. There are huge costs and responsibilities associated with managing the work of employees and complying with insurance and tax laws. That is why the concept of subcontractors became so popular. IF you can call an individual a company and make it look like you are just buying a completed item all the employee overhead goes away.

Then there is the control aspect of using contractors. The more you control a contractors actions the more he looks like an employee..........and those costs come back.

The game has been played this way for quite awhile.

Joe

So, your saying if one would wanna do installs it would be best to apply with a contractor or have your own business that does installs????

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch
Living Room: R16-300
Master Bedroom: D12-500
Kids Bedroom: D12-500

Proudly Non Comcastic since 2007

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 06:51 PM

So, your saying if one would wanna do installs it would be best to apply with a contractor or have your own business that does installs????

There was a time when that would be the way to go.

Them days are gone. The money offered for DTV installs has not kept pace with the additional work required. You are limited to subcontracting from your local Home Service Provider (Ironwood). So you run up bills for materials and pay labor until your money is gone. Why would they pay you promptly? You are their competition. If you do a better job than them they would have problems.

DTV is hiring employee installers in some areas but I have not met any and I don't know of any on these sites. DTV bought Ironwood so things may change.

Joe

#43 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 10:31 PM

DirecTV bought out Ironwood and a couple of other HSPs this year, but they haven't really changed anything *except* they do pay, and on-time, something many of the HSPs didn't do. They did NOT change the pay rate (low) or the working conditions, however.

#44 OFFLINE   JoeF

JoeF

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:26 AM

I'm happy to report that install #2 went off without a hitch!

I won't bore everyone with all the deatils, but the installer was very professional and got me up and running with no problems. A BIG thank you to all those here on DBSTalk that went "above and beyond". Now the real fun begins, figuring out how to use the features of my new toy!

#45 OFFLINE   woodybeetle

woodybeetle

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:44 AM

Of course I have no way of knowing what happened, so you could be absolutely correct, but it could also be that the guy was simply exhausted. Most installers are forced to work at least 6 days a week, and often given double the number of jobs that they could reasonably complete in a 12 hour day. A typical HD install takes 3-4 hours, yet it isn't unusual for an installer to be routed 4 AM and 2 PM jobs. Since this certainly means that several of those customers aren't going to get installed, the tech is almost always going to try to do the easiest jobs, or the ones closest together. You'd do the same in his shoes; it's survival.

Techs don't get paid hourly, they get paid by the job. This, in theory, gives them motivation to get those jobs in. But the reality is that when they are over-routed every day, the incentive they have is to do the easist work.

The *right* answer would be to hire enough techs to meet the workload, but the pay is so low, and the treatment of the techs is so bad that turnover is huge. At any time, about half of the techs working for an HSP have less than 2 months of experience. The ones that last are the ones who learn how to exploit the system, by taking shortcuts on the install and by cherry-picking jobs. The ones who don't do this either get smart and quit or they keep working until they can no longer afford to. Meanwhile the HSP makes triple or more from DirecTV what they pay to the installer.

DirecTV has recently bought out several HSPs, but they need to buy out the rest of them and completely redo the pay structure, because with the increased competition in the market, fewer customers are going to put up with the problems the HSP program has created.

You know, its funny, here in FL the local DTV house formerly Bruisters offered me 12.00 an hour to install and to train their new hires. I am still stunned by the offer. I have 15 years on job experience, every type of certification you can think of, a list of customers as a SO and emore references than pretty much most of the guys in the local shop. I now know why the local installers are so piss poor. To leave on a bright note though. I was told I would be able to max out at 23.00 an hour in about 2 years. Thats hard to hear, I bill 90.00 for a service call on commercial installations, 10.00 per channel for headend balancing. I was just so pleased to find that in 2 years I could ake in a week what I normally make in a day or 2. Sad part was I was approached by them to help add some technical "prowness" to their staff.
Daniel D. Corum
DDCESI/Idiot Proof Television

#46 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:37 PM

There was a time when that would be the way to go.

Them days are gone. The money offered for DTV installs has not kept pace with the additional work required. You are limited to subcontracting from your local Home Service Provider (Ironwood). So you run up bills for materials and pay labor until your money is gone. Why would they pay you promptly? You are their competition. If you do a better job than them they would have problems.

DTV is hiring employee installers in some areas but I have not met any and I don't know of any on these sites. DTV bought Ironwood so things may change.

Joe

I have met one.... ironically his name was JOE..... he told me that he was very happy working for them and that it was a great place to work.... In fact he was the tech that gave me his tech # to use him for a referal... I have applied 4 times now, can't get any response except an email say that they have review my resume and they where excited to forward my resume to the hiring manager and i should hear from them soon...... :shrug:

I dunno, maybe its time to give up and apply with dish...... Im starting to think your right joe... i think the reason im not getting called is cause with my schooling and all i am more qualified that the supervisor!

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch

#47 OFFLINE   timmmaaayyy2003

timmmaaayyy2003

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:42 PM

I have met one.... ironically his name was JOE..... he told me that he was very happy working for them and that it was a great place to work.... In fact he was the tech that gave me his tech # to use him for a referal... I have applied 4 times now, can't get any response except an email say that they have review my resume and they where excited to forward my resume to the hiring manager and i should hear from them soon...... :shrug:

I dunno, maybe its time to give up and apply with dish...... Im starting to think your right joe... i think the reason im not getting called is cause with my schooling and all i am more qualified that the supervisor!

Don't you just love being "overqualified"?

Story of my life:(
Phil B.

I guess I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin' glue! :D

My Setup

#48 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:49 PM

Don't you just love being "overqualified"?

Story of my life:(

:lol: the whole reason that i paid 28,000 dollars to go to college to learn how to do this stuff was so i could get a job doing what i love to do... :lol:

Now, im "Overqualified":rolleyes:

Well, like i said... ill just apply at dish and see what come up.... if worst comes to worse, i guess i could settle for comcast:eek2: :nono2: :nono2:

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch

#49 OFFLINE   timmmaaayyy2003

timmmaaayyy2003

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,452 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:51 PM

:lol: the whole reason that i paid 28,000 dollars to go to college to learn how to do this stuff was so i could get a job doing what i love to do... :lol:

Now, im "Overqualified":rolleyes:

Well, like i said... ill just apply at dish and see what come up.... if worst comes to worse, i guess i could settle for comcast:eek2: :nono2: :nono2:

Only 28,000? You got off easy:eek2:
Phil B.

I guess I picked the wrong week to stop sniffin' glue! :D

My Setup

#50 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:56 PM

Only 28,000? You got off easy:eek2:

They thought us cable and satellite systems, electrical systems and computer networking in my course so for the price i thought it was pretty good:)

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch

spam firewall