Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

? regarding connecting a Slingbox Pro w/ HDTV

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 17 November 2008 - 07:59 PM

I've had my Slingbox Pro connected to an old SD TV for a year or so. Tomorrow I'm getting a new HDTV and would like to connect my Slingbox to this. However, after thinking about it, I wondered if this is possible. The TV will be connected to an HR21-100 via HDMI (it's a bedroom TV so no A/V system involved), but as we know, Slingboxes don't have HDMI pass-throughs. Sling tech support told me I'd have to have the TV pass through to the Sling then to the TV, which cannot be done using a HDMI connection. They suggested using component connection, which I'd prefer to avoid.

So, my question: can one realistically use a Slingbox Pro with an HDTV or does one have to sacrifice something in order to actually use the Sling? If not, what is the best way to connect a Slingbox so that I can (a) watch my TV and (B) have the feed still go through the Sling?

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:08 PM

I've had my Slingbox Pro connected to an old SD TV for a year or so. Tomorrow I'm getting a new HDTV and would like to connect my Slingbox to this. However, after thinking about it, I wondered if this is possible. The TV will be connected to an HR21-100 via HDMI (it's a bedroom TV so no A/V system involved), but as we know, Slingboxes don't have HDMI pass-throughs. Sling tech support told me I'd have to have the TV pass through to the Sling then to the TV, which cannot be done using a HDMI connection. They suggested using component connection, which I'd prefer to avoid.

So, my question: can one realistically use a Slingbox Pro with an HDTV or does one have to sacrifice something in order to actually use the Sling? If not, what is the best way to connect a Slingbox so that I can (a) watch my TV and (B) have the feed still go through the Sling?

Hook it to any of the other outputs.. they are all live..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#3 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:15 PM

That's what I thought. On the HR2X series, aren't all outputs live?

So what I should be able to do is connect the HDMI to my TV directly, then connect a second set of component or composite or S-video (either one is OK w/ me) to my Sling, right? This way I'd be able to get a video feed to the Slingbox and see my HDMI feed on my TV, correct?

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#4 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:16 PM

yep

#5 OFFLINE   theninny

theninny

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:18 PM

That's what I thought. On the HR2X series, aren't all outputs live?

So what I should be able to do is connect the HDMI to my TV directly, then connect a second set of component or composite or S-video (either one is OK w/ me) to my Sling, right? This way I'd be able to get a video feed to the Slingbox and see my HDMI feed on my TV, correct?

Yes, that will work. I have the older slingbox. My tv is connected via HDMI and my slingbox is connect via the standard set of cables.

Yellow - Video, Red and White - Sound

Is not worth connecting use the component cables, unless you plan to streaming inside your local network, HD streaming is not supported over the internet.

-LC

#6 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,651 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 08:27 PM

Hook it to any of the other outputs.. they are all live..

Yup....that's my hookup here too....both at the same time.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#7 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:28 PM

I have my TV hooked to HDMI and the Slingbox on component. There is one problem though...if I try watching something on 101 on the Slingbox it won't play because the HR is also hooked up to HDMI and won't get the response back from the TV.

#8 OFFLINE   reds1963

reds1963

Godfather

• Registered
  • 280 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:26 AM

Yes, that will work. I have the older slingbox. My tv is connected via HDMI and my slingbox is connect via the standard set of cables.

Is not worth connecting use the component cables, unless you plan to streaming inside your local network, HD streaming is not supported over the internet.

-LC

yes works great this way
SAMSUNG PN58A550
HR20-100
CAVALRY E-SATA

#9 OFFLINE   dmclone

dmclone

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:37 AM

I have an older Sling and I just use the S-Video.

I have componet powering a small tv in front of my treadmill
HDMI powering my Projector
S-Video powering the Sling

Works perfect.

#10 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:10 AM

-LC

Just FYI:
Although you are correct concearning the Slingbox Pro, the new "Slingbox Pro HD" model is capable of streaming HD content to remote connections.

#11 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:13 AM

HR21 to the HDTV using HDMI
HR21 to the Slingbox Pro using any of the available inputs. Personally I have it connected via component video; however the s-vhs connection will give a comparable picture without the extra expense of having to purchase the HD connect cable.

#12 OFFLINE   EricRobins

EricRobins

Godfather

• Registered
  • 463 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:23 AM

Just FYI:
Although you are correct concearning the Slingbox Pro, the new "Slingbox Pro HD" model is capable of streaming HD content to remote connections.

But unless the "remote" is inside your network, what kind of upstream bandwith will be necessary?

#13 OFFLINE   ahintz

ahintz

Legend

• Registered
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

-LC

I would disagree. I have tested my HR20 both via S-video and via component, streaming over the Internet to work, and I can definitely see a quality difference between the two. Now, is it streaming HD? Of course not, but starting from the highest-quality source will get you the best-quality from the stream. Just my 2 cents.

HR44-500 with 3LNB Slimline Dish
Late 2010 27" iMac and Late 2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro
Complete Setup

#14 OFFLINE   bagdropper

bagdropper

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:28 PM

But unless the "remote" is inside your network, what kind of upstream bandwith will be necessary?

They recommend 1.5mbps...considering they recommend 256 for analog but it takes around 768 to get a decent pic on anything larger than 20", I'd bet it'd take prolly around 2gbps.
Home/Living Room Setup
Dell Intel Quad Core 64 bit 7MC
OTA - VolarMax ATSC USB Tuner
Hauppauge HD PVR 1080i
H23 w)slimline
Panasonic TP-50X1 Plasma
Sony STR-DA5ES
Def Tech BP6/CLR 3000/BP2X
Home Bedroom Setup
Xbox 360 via 7MC w) Olevia LCD
Cabin Setup
Slingbox via Home H23 composite
Compaq 7MC/TP-42C1 Plasma
Sony STR-DA4ES - Def Tech Pro Cinema 60 System

#15 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:11 PM

OK, guys, is there something I'm doing wrong? I've connected the HR21-100 to my TV via HDMI--check, no problem.

I've connected the HR21 to my Sling via S-video out on the HR21 to S-video in on the Sling, and connected the red/white composite cables for the audio portion of things--check. Problem. I'm getting no video signal on my Sling.

Is there something in the HR21's setup where I have to "turn on," or make live the other video outputs? I'm sure I've connected this setup properly, too.

#16 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:17 PM

OK, guys, is there something I'm doing wrong? I've connected the HR21-100 to my TV via HDMI--check, no problem.

I've connected the HR21 to my Sling via S-video out on the HR21 to S-video in on the Sling, and connected the red/white composite cables for the audio portion of things--check. Problem. I'm getting no video signal on my Sling.

Is there something in the HR21's setup where I have to "turn on," or make live the other video outputs? I'm sure I've connected this setup properly, too.

nope.. are you sure your "watching" the right input in slingplayer?
under veiw I think..

#17 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,651 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:27 PM

First...is the network red LED on the Slingbox Pro front panel staying solid red?

Next, is the HR21 S-Video out going to the S-Video in on the Slingbox?

Does the HDMI out on the Slingbox goes to the TV input?

Also, here is their good troubleshooting site...

http://support.sling...m/go/pro-pro-ts

#18 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:32 PM

oh, one more thing: your hooked to the input on slingbox not the output by accident?

#19 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,651 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:47 PM

Lord Vader - any success yet?

#20 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,173 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:35 PM

nope.. are you sure your "watching" the right input in slingplayer?
under veiw I think..

Yup. If you're familiar with the Slingbox Pro, looking at it from the rear, my S-video from the HR21 is connected to the S-video in on the Sling's far right side. The R/W audio composite cables from the HR21's first row of R/W/Y out are connected to the R/W of the Sling's IN, to the immediate right of the S-video IN. (I've tried both sets of composite-OUTs from the HR21; neither works.)

First...is the network red LED on the Slingbox Pro front panel staying solid red?

Yes

Next, is the HR21 S-Video out going to the S-Video in on the Slingbox?

See first answer above.

Does the HDMI out on the Slingbox goes to the TV input?

There is no HDMI out on the Slingbox Pro to use.

Also, here is their good troubleshooting site...

http://support.sling...m/go/pro-pro-ts

I was on the phone yesterday with Sling tech support for 70 minutes, and even THEY couldn't figure out the problem. They said the Slingbox's composite inputs "were probably defective," and they offered to replace the unit at no charge. Considering all I did was change satellite receivers from an HDVR2 to an HR21-100, I doubt the Sling's composite inputs suddenly and instantly went dead.

oh, one more thing: your hooked to the input on slingbox not the output by accident?

See above.

Lord Vader - any success yet?

None yet. :mad::confused:

spam firewall