Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

? regarding connecting a Slingbox Pro w/ HDTV

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:38 PM

Just one last thing to try....do you have a 2nd set of the red, white, yellow cables that you can try?

Those things are notorious for failing.

If you still have the same results, but the network LED stays on...you would seem to have a video issue in the Slingbox itself.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:39 PM

Well, they did tell me they were shipping a new Sling Pro, so it won't hurt to try that one.

And yes, I've tried a couple different sets of component cables, from the el cheapo ones to the Monster Cable (overly priced) ones. No dice.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#23 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:42 PM

Well, they did tell me they were shipping a new Sling Pro, so it won't hurt to try that one.

And yes, I've tried a couple different sets of component cables, from the el cheapo ones to the Monster Cable (overly priced) ones. No dice.

Sorry we couldn't help resolve things.

I must admit this is the first defective Slingbox I've heard about...but I'm sure it happens.....ultimately every mass-produced product has a few defective ones slip through.

#24 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:42 PM

sounds all correct.. same way mines hooked up.. input 2/composite..

AKA: SMOKE
MRV was all that's left on my wishlist (wishlist done) :D

#25 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:47 PM

Sorry we couldn't help resolve things.

I must admit this is the first defective Slingbox I've heard about...but I'm sure it happens.....ultimately every mass-produced product has a few defective ones slip through.

I think I've found the problem. Damn! Why is it always the simplest or littlest things?

I went back into my Sling's menu to Connect-->Video Input and noticed that S-video and everything EXCEPT composite was grayed out, meaning that only composite was configured. So I switched the connections to match that and voila! It works.

Now I just have to figure out how to configure S-video and I should be able to utilize that feed. Can you refresh my memory a bit on that?

Thanks, guys.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#26 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:53 PM

I think I've found the problem. Damn! Why is it always the simplest or littlest things?

I went back into my Sling's menu to Connect-->Video Input and noticed that S-video and everything EXCEPT composite was grayed out, meaning that only composite was configured. So I switched the connections to match that and voila! It works.

Now I just have to figure out how to configure S-video and I should be able to utilize that feed. Can you refresh my memory a bit on that?

Thanks, guys.

That's really good news.

All the HR21 outputs are turned on concurrently, so you're set on that side.

"Configuration" is really done through the Slingbox software setup wizard....its pretty "automatic. Either go in the Setup Assistant dropdown in the Setting menu on the software menu on your PC, or else, use the install CD to run the setup.

Now we're anxious to hear if you get it up working...

#27 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:56 PM

Thanks, guys.

rerun setup from the slingplayer menu..

#28 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:57 PM

I went back into the setup and configuration and changed the inputs, configuring the S-video. All is well. :)

#29 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:57 PM

I went back into the setup and configuration and changed the inputs, configuring the S-video. All is well. :)

Hurray!

Another satisfied customer.... :D :lol:

Thanks for the tag-team help housekamp! :)

#30 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:04 PM

Now if I can just figure out how Sling's tech support can be on the phone w/ me for 70 minutes and not figure this out! :P

#31 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,798 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:05 PM

Now if I can just figure out how Sling's tech support can be on the phone w/ me for 70 minutes and not figure this out! :P

You shoulda just come to us in the first place... :lol: :lol: :lol:

#32 OFFLINE   houskamp

houskamp

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,636 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:06 PM

surprized they didn't do remote control of pc and find it right away.. but then again we all have bad days..

#33 OFFLINE   rorkin

rorkin

AllStar

• Registered
  • 99 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:54 AM

Just FYI:
Although you are correct concearning the Slingbox Pro, the new "Slingbox Pro HD" model is capable of streaming HD content to remote connections.

I have the Pro .. Run the component outputs from the H20 to the Pro and
have it going through a n game adapter to a N router .. Picture is far from
HD.. I cant get the speeds even internally to get HD. So I don't know if the source is HD.. My upstream to intrnet is only 350k so it does not matter over the internet.
Can't figure out how to get higher internal speeds.. Maxes out at 1400..
I cant use HDMI because TV only has one input.

sling ->1 gig switch --> Linksys 610 N Router- Linksys multi band router->hard wired to PC..

#34 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 8,330 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 05:04 PM

As someone whose Slingbox Classic crapped out and got a new Slingbox PRO HD, the PQ is like night and day. Of course, the source you're using to watch your Sling HD makes a difference. On my home PC I have a 22" 1080p HD monitor, so the PQ is outstanding. On my Android phone, the PQ isn't quite as perfect, but it's still good.

My brother and father use my Sling, but they have old, crappy monitors. Consequently, their PQ isn't as good.

I also have good Internet service. I'm at a consistent 35megs down and 7 megs up, so the HD streaming capabilities work very well.

#35 OFFLINE   ciurca

ciurca

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:24 PM

I am very happy with the quality of my sling hd pro.
HR34
HR23
Slingbox Pro HD

Twitter -> @saltwater_rider
Facebook -> facebook.com/craig.ciurca

#36 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 07:42 PM

Kinda funny that you resurrect an (almost) 3 year old thread!! :grin:

I have a SlingBox solo and am happy as a lark with it but man that PQ sucks when I am off my home network. (on my Android phone/tablet or outside computer)

I am very tempted to get a Pro HD then see if I can sell mine on ebay or something.
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...