Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

XM LIFETIME

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   webpatk

webpatk

Mentor

• Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:07 PM

Just spoke with an XM rep. They are now offering a lifetime subscription for $499.00

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   jcrandall

jcrandall

Godfather

• Registered
  • 361 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:11 PM

May be a bad investment. If the company fails in one year, you paid $500 for one year.

I would do monthly or quarterly until they get more solid financially.

#3 OFFLINE   thestaton

thestaton

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 09:57 PM

Don't do it. They where selling for it 399 this time last year.

#4 OFFLINE   webpatk

webpatk

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 37 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:29 PM

Don't do it. They where selling for it 399 this time last year.

That was Sirius. This is the first time XM has offered Lifetime subs. I got more clarification from XM. It is $499.00 with the best of Sirius and $399.00 without it.

#5 OFFLINE   Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 10,453 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 10:35 PM

I wonder what happens if you have a family plan?
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 11:31 PM

Well this is where as the saying goes "the rubber meets the road". They need money--a lot of money, if you don't give them money they will go under. Of course, there is always the chance they will go under even if you do give them the money. It is a great deal IF they can stay in business. Over this merger business I had cancelled, gone back, cancelled, gone back, etc.--so my account was a mess anyway. And since I always came back (tail tucked firmly between my legs) I decided what the heck I'll roll the dice and go with the lifetime sub. Fools rush in where wisemen/women fear to go, but then I have never thought of myself as wise. I was also born on April Fool's Day so you can guess the story of my life :lol:

#7 OFFLINE   pigskins

pigskins

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:35 AM

If I'm not mistaken don't lifetime subs stay with the receiver? If by some miracle there still is a company a year from now and you decide to upgrade to a receiver that can do something new, you're SOL.
D* customer since 1996, when new customers had to PAY for equipment

#8 OFFLINE   thestaton

thestaton

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:40 AM

If I'm not mistaken don't lifetime subs stay with the receiver? If by some miracle there still is a company a year from now and you decide to upgrade to a receiver that can do something new, you're SOL.

I know Sirius will move it to another receiver, most of the time it's free but after this financial meltdown they might actually charge you the $75.00

#9 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:23 PM

I wonder what happens if you have a family plan?

You mean with multiple receivers on the same account? If it's modeled after the original Sirius Lifetime program, the lifetime counts as your first subscription and then all the other "stacked" receivers are priced at the reduced rate. That's exactly what I have - my "master" receiver is the lifetime, then the other four are $6.99/mo each. Sirius would also let you have more than one lifetime subscribed receiver per account, but there was no discount.

#10 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:53 PM

You can apparently change receivers 3 times, if it is like the Sirius plan.
However, my sub is for my car so there is no problem there. You can check with XM and see what they say about receivers. See my thread about the Merger. I made the point that it is interesting that XM would start selling Lifetime subs now when they never had before. I think things could get real interesting with the Sirius Shareholders demands.
I have a Link to that story in my Merger thread. And please XM people out there if you have the money consider this Lifetime sub. We may be the ones that have to try to save XM.

#11 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:33 AM

You can apparently change receivers 3 times, if it is like the Sirius plan.
However, my sub is for my car so there is no problem there. You can check with XM and see what they say about receivers. See my thread about the Merger. I made the point that it is interesting that XM would start selling Lifetime subs now when they never had before. I think things could get real interesting with the Sirius Shareholders demands.
I have a Link to that story in my Merger thread. And please XM people out there if you have the money consider this Lifetime sub. We may be the ones that have to try to save XM.

Dolly, it seems strange that you would go from urging everyone to cancel to urging us all to get lifetime subscriptions overnight.

I'm not cancelling, but I'm certainly not sending them a few hundred dollars.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#12 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:00 AM

Dolly, it seems strange that you would go from urging everyone to cancel to urging us all to get lifetime subscriptions overnight.

I'm not cancelling, but I'm certainly not sending them a few hundred dollars.

I'm glad you aren't cancelling. And I did explain in one thread why I changed my mind about Sat. radio. So I will explain here also. And I didn't change my mind overnight. I have done a lot of thinking and reading about the situation with Sat. Radio. I hated Mel and I hated what he did to XM. My first thought of a solution was to kill off Sirius. But that will take away a choice I and other people have of how we listen to music--rather like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I still hate Mel and I hope that the Sirius Stockholders can bring about some changes. But we have little of XM left now and what does concern me about these
Stockholders is they call themselves "Saving Sirius". The company's name now is Sirius XM. So why don't they call themselves "Saving Sirius XM"?

#13 OFFLINE   Galaxie6411

Galaxie6411

Icon

• Registered
  • 614 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 03:11 PM

Interesting. I currently run 3 XM units. If they ever gave you a deal like the above listed price and add up to 4 more units for say $100 each I'd be in in a heartbeat. I don't like the paying per month for additional units that is posted above. They also absolutely would have to allow me to buy new units and swap this plan to them since new technologies will be coming out and the old units will just plain fail at some point.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...