Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Premium Movie Channel In Trouble

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:28 AM

The planned JV Channel a premium movie channel service planned by Viacom, MGM, Lionsgate and Paramount Pictures is in trouble. Comcast, one of the prime movers in this venture has lost interest.

Seems the cost became a factor as well as declining subscribers to the existing premium movie channels.

The JV channel may pursue an exclusive deal with DirecTV or Dish, offering a 50-50 split of the $12/month fee.
Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:36 AM

Very bad timing for a new premium channel with the economy.

#3 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,362 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:51 PM

Ass/u/ming it's in HD, give it to me!

I want it ALL!!! :dance01: :welcome: :icon_kiff

~ 12 Year Anniversary ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#4 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 12:55 PM

What acout this new channel is different from the others we already have? In other words: WHY?
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#5 OFFLINE   Supervolcano

Supervolcano

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:09 PM

Seems the cost became a factor as well as declining subscribers to the existing premium movie channels.

The JV channel may pursue an exclusive deal with DirecTV or Dish, offering a 50-50 split of the $12/month fee.

They want to charge $12 for the ONE CHANNEL?
Click Here to See my Equipment and SWM8 Configuration.
Click Here for My Theories on why we have no shouldn't have DLB yet.
Click Here to Review cbaker's "Long Term (Multiple CE) Bug List".

#6 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,756 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:40 PM

What acout this new channel is different from the others we already have? In other words: WHY?

This one was supposedly going to threaten Showtime as the studios lined up for this new channel were all Showtime exclusive studios.
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#7 OFFLINE   SDizzle

SDizzle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,536 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:08 PM

E* is too cheap to pay for an exclusive like that.......unless it's about $3.50 (tree fiddy) a month....... If anyone wants it, it will be D*.
HR34-700 (1), HR23-700 (1), HR22-100 (1), HR20-700 (1), HR21-700 (1), HR21-100 (1)
Running a SWM16 with DECA
Retired: HR20-700 (1), HR10-250 (1), R10 (1), DTivo DSR-704 (1), D-10 (4), D-11 (4), R15-500 (4)

#8 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,556 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:46 PM

The one thing America didn't need was another premium movie channel. Now I'd pay $24 a month for a premium channel that actually offered up scripted programming 24/7 with at least 15 new episodes of 15 different original quality shows each week as well as offering episodes in chronological order older series. MGM, Lionsgate and Paramount could have done that. But nobody needs another 24/7 old movie channel for $12 a month.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...