Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DOD and Media Share

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 01:38 PM

I've never used either DOD or Media Share before. Now that I have a computer, an Ethernet line and a big screen HDTV all in the same room for the first time I'm becoming more interested. I have an HR21-100 and my first question is which RJ45 jack is used for what? The online manual just says: " 12) ETHERNET 1 & 2 (RJ45) – Provides connectivity to your home network, and to the Internet, so
you can access your Music & Photos from your DIRECTV Receiver and access DIRECTV On Demand broadband programming. (Note: This socket provides 5 Volts DC Power. Please ensure your equipment is compatible prior to connection.)

My understanding from my readings on D's Web site is the top jack is used for both DOD and Media Share. Is that true? If so, what's the bottom jack used for?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,057 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:09 PM

The second jack can be used to daisy-chain another ethernet device to share the connection.

#3 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 03:25 PM

The second jack can be used to daisy-chain another ethernet device to share the connection.

Does that mean I could plug in a Playstation3 or similar device, or a computer perhaps? Am I right to assume you could only use one device at a time or one service at a time? In other words I could be downloading a movie via the DOD service through the top RJ45 jack and when done with that I could surf the Web with my computer connected to the bottom jack and not have to disconnect my Ethernet cable and reconnect to my computer....?

Thanks,

VR

#4 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 08:52 PM

Does that mean I could plug in a Playstation3 or similar device, or a computer perhaps? Am I right to assume you could only use one device at a time or one service at a time? In other words I could be downloading a movie via the DOD service through the top RJ45 jack and when done with that I could surf the Web with my computer connected to the bottom jack and not have to disconnect my Ethernet cable and reconnect to my computer....?

Thanks,

VR

Yes you can plug in any other ethernet device you may have in the second jack on the HR21. Both devices can be used simultaneously.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#5 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:24 PM

Yes you can plug in any other ethernet device you may have in the second jack on the HR21. Both devices can be used simultaneously.

Well, that would be terrific if another device can operate simultaneously using just the single Ethernet line that goes to the router. I had understood, apparently in error, that two devices could not use the same Ethernet line unless special splitters were employed at both ends of the line to separate the 8 wires inside the cable into two 4 wire lines with each device using one of the 4 wire pathways.

Thanks,

VR

#6 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:31 PM

Well, that would be terrific if another device can operate simultaneously using just the single Ethernet line that goes to the router. I had understood, apparently in error, that two devices could not use the same Ethernet line unless special splitters were employed at both ends of the line to separate the 8 wires inside the cable into two 4 wire lines with each device using one of the 4 wire pathways.

Thanks,

VR

You would only need to do that if you wanted to use 1 physical line to connect 2 ethernet devices to your router without adding an ethernet hub. You can take 1 line from your router and attach a 4 port ethernet hub to it, then you can connect 4 ethernet devices to that hub. They will all work simultaneously and independantly using that same ethernet cable to the router.
The DVR operates the same way, the second port acting as a single port hub allowing for a second device to be connected and share the ethernet line to the router.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#7 OFFLINE   notnufbw

notnufbw

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:41 PM

You would only need to do that if you wanted to use 1 physical line to connect 2 ethernet devices to your router without adding an ethernet hub. You can take 1 line from your router and attach a 4 port ethernet hub to it, then you can connect 4 ethernet devices to that hub. They will all work simultaneously and independantly using that same ethernet cable to the router.
The DVR operates the same way, the second port acting as a single port hub allowing for a second device to be connected and share the ethernet line to the router.

I'll definitely file that information away in my rather old memory banks for future reference. Coincidently, I just connected the splitters that came in today's mail. At first I didn't think they were going to work. I must have connected, disconnected and reconnected the 6 jacks and 6 ports involved with the splitters in every possible configuration and finally everything seems to be working fine. The HR21 gives me a message on channel 1000 to wait for an hour before I'll see an "On Demand" listing. So I assume that means it's connected to the right place. Thanks again.

VR

Protected By... spam firewall...And...