Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Could the Merger be reversed?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:39 PM

The Stockholders are REALLY HOT as well they should be! They approved the merger, but they were lied to like everyone else. And one of the things they are asking for is seeking review and remand of the FCC's merger decision.
The link to the story is a huge one and probably if I understood links better I could shorten it, but I will put it all out in this post.
http://www.marketwat...5-663248454E46}

I personally find it interesting that XM just started selling Lifetime Subs yesterday. May be they are thinking about life without Sirius?

The Link knew how to shorten itself :lol:

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 07:13 PM

The Stockholders are REALLY HOT as well they should be! They approved the merger, but they were lied to like everyone else. And one of the things they are asking for is seeking review and remand of the FCC's merger decision.
The link to the story is a huge one and probably if I understood links better I could shorten it, but I will put it all out in this post.
http://www.marketwat...5-663248454E46}

I personally find it interesting that XM just started selling Lifetime Subs yesterday. May be they are thinking about life without Sirius?

The Link knew how to shorten itself :lol:

The chances of the merger being reversed are about the same as the chance of Howard Stern becoming an FCC Commissioner. The suit is a fairly standard shareholder derivative suit especially when a company's stock has tanked. I can't say it's without merit.

Stopping the reverse split is a tricky issue...sometime next year NASDAQ will start enforcing the $1.00/share minimum again and should the Sirius stock go to the pinks...it's over.

In better economic times I'd bet that someone would just buy them and work out a deal with the creditors...just not sure any company is going to step up right now. We'll see what happens early next year when the $300 million comes due.

#3 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 09:04 PM

Merger reversed. Right. What's the precedent? Bad management? Enough of that around (Melvin). Bad deal for the Shareholders? Talk to Sprint or Nextel shareholders on that.

Bad deal? Yes.

Reversed? I don't think so.

#4 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 11:04 PM

Merger reversed. Right. What's the precedent? Bad management? Enough of that around (Melvin). Bad deal for the Shareholders? Talk to Sprint or Nextel shareholders on that.

Bad deal? Yes.

Reversed? I don't think so.

Read the story again. The precedent goes back to the inoperative radios. Mel said many times all equipment would be good after the Merger and it clearly isn't.
And even if they don't get the Merger reversed. They have put a bright spotlight on Mel. Letting it be known to the public what we as Sat. subs have known for some time. The man is a liar and a very good liar at that. Let's see he lied to Sat. radio subs, he lied to both XM and Sirius stockholders, he lied to the Dept. of Justice, he lied to the FCC, so finally he is being publicly branded for what he is--a BIG LIAR!!!!!!!!! If nothing else, Mel is going to have to clean up his act quickly or the door is going to hit him on the way out. BTW the man that signed on the Merger at the Dept. of Justice is either on his way out or may be already out. I read the story about him being on the way out in Google News a while back. But I don't remember when the leaving date was.

#5 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 05:56 AM

Read the story again. The precedent goes back to the inoperative radios. Mel said many times all equipment would be good after the Merger and it clearly isn't.
And even if they don't get the Merger reversed. They have put a bright spotlight on Mel. Letting it be known to the public what we as Sat. subs have known for some time. The man is a liar and a very good liar at that. Let's see he lied to Sat. radio subs, he lied to both XM and Sirius stockholders, he lied to the Dept. of Justice, he lied to the FCC, so finally he is being publicly branded for what he is--a BIG LIAR!!!!!!!!! If nothing else, Mel is going to have to clean up his act quickly or the door is going to hit him on the way out. BTW the man that signed on the Merger at the Dept. of Justice is either on his way out or may be already out. I read the story about him being on the way out in Google News a while back. But I don't remember when the leaving date was.

What radios are inoperative? I have one of the earlier Sirius radios and it works just fine. They haven't gone past their timelines on the dual service radios which will be available Q1 2009.

#6 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 10:29 AM

What radios are inoperative? I have one of the earlier Sirius radios and it works just fine. They haven't gone past their timelines on the dual service radios which will be available Q1 2009.

There are people that have posted in many places that they can't get "The Best of Sirius" if they have an XM radio and
also if they have a Sirius Radio they can't get "The Best of XM". That was the point in the merger--people were supposed to be able to get both services without being hurt by having to change equipment. "The Best of" packages were supposed to be available to everyone right away without any equipment change at all. And about the dual service radios will they actually be available? Mel has lied about everything else. And what about me and others like me that have a car radio. Before the merger Mel was saying they would work with the automakers to come up with car radios that would pick up all services so people could have the a la carte program packages. And he made it sound like it wouldn't take that long for that to happen. After the merger Mel said it would take like 15 years for a car radio to come about that would be able to pick up the technology of both sides of the company. I'm actually hoping the later statement was yet another lie by Mel. But with my luck that will have been the one truthful thing Mel has said :rolleyes:

#7 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 827 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 06:56 PM

i don't remember any part of the merger saying the furture additions would be used on old radios, just that your old radio would still get sirius or xm. no guarantee on the exact channels you would receive. thats always in the fine print they can change that.

#8 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:01 PM

There are people that have posted in many places that they can't get "The Best of Sirius" if they have an XM radio and
also if they have a Sirius Radio they can't get "The Best of XM". That was the point in the merger--people were supposed to be able to get both services without being hurt by having to change equipment.

Actually, the promise is and has always been that all pre-merger radios would still work post-merger to get either the Sirius or XM system's channels that you got pre-merger.

As for the new best of packages, where are people complaining that their radios can't get those channels? I've never heard of that problem and know several people who have gotten the best of packages with their old pre-merger radios.

#9 OFFLINE   SDizzle

SDizzle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,535 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:01 PM

I have "best of sirius" in my 2007 Infiniti, that radio was "pre-merger". Other than the sports from either service and special deals like Howard Stern, all music is like 95% the same on both now, and major networks like cnn, disney, etc. are all the same. If a certain sub had a desire for 1 sport or another, they would have chosen one service or another based on which sport they wanted...MLB on XM, NFL on Sirius.

I don't see nearly the outrage from the "majority" of subs from either side that are beside themselves....as much as I see a select few that for one reason or another have a rager for wanting to see them fail....and I think the latter of the two typically are posting around here.
HR34-700 (1), HR23-700 (1), HR22-100 (1), HR20-700 (1), HR21-700 (1), HR21-100 (1)
Running a SWM16 with DECA
Retired: HR20-700 (1), HR10-250 (1), R10 (1), DTivo DSR-704 (1), D-10 (4), D-11 (4), R15-500 (4)

#10 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:11 PM

I have never heard of any radio's not working either. All of my XM and Sirius radio's work. On my XM radio in my car I don't see any of the Best of Sirius channels. But, I don't subscribe to that package. So, I won't see them.

#11 OFFLINE   njblackberry

njblackberry

Icon

• Registered
  • 653 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:25 PM

Dolly - stop making this stuff up. Seriously.

#12 OFFLINE   SDizzle

SDizzle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,535 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 19 November 2008 - 08:50 PM

Dolly - stop making this stuff up. Seriously.

Didn't she say in another thread around here somewhere that she DID in fact pay for the LIFETIME sub recently?!? If so, then why is she so hell bent on seeing them fail?????:confused: :confused:
HR34-700 (1), HR23-700 (1), HR22-100 (1), HR20-700 (1), HR21-700 (1), HR21-100 (1)
Running a SWM16 with DECA
Retired: HR20-700 (1), HR10-250 (1), R10 (1), DTivo DSR-704 (1), D-10 (4), D-11 (4), R15-500 (4)

#13 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 11:03 PM

I am confused as all hell what Dolly wants. First the big reason she was against the merger was because she was worried about hardware, she didn't want her radio to be obsolete. Which it won't be. And just because a receiver can't receive a Best of package doesn't mean Melvin lied. Your still able to get the XM or Sirius service you had before (line up is different, but it's still service) just you can't add on the Best Of Package. Again Mel did not lie, there is nothing dirty here, you're not losing anything, since you never had it or paid for it to begin with.

Then she wishes the company into bankruptcy and failure, then cancels, the resubscribes for the AC station, but is convinced the company will fail, but signs up for a lifetime subscription anyway and urges others to do the same to save the company she wishes into failure. None of this adds up or makes any sense whatsoever to me.

And a merger reversal is not going to happen, closest thing would be for Sirius to sell off XM, but seriously, the merger just got approved a few months ago. Not gonna happen this soon, or probably ever, but we shall see.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#14 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,232 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:11 AM

The base problem with this merger was incompatible encryption schemes between the services. Now you have an even more inefficient bandwidth usage model. Think about it - now each channel is being broadcast on different wavelengths in all these places:

- XM East satellite
- XM West satellite
- Sirius 1, 2 and 3 in their elliptical orbits.
- Each XM Terrestrial repeater
- Each Sirius terrestrial repeater.

Now I don't quite know how the bandwidth is divided up where the Sirius birds are concerned to avoid interference, but there's now a LOT of duplication out there.

If they could have gone to ONE service using all the bandwith (repeated only on the terrestrial repeaters), then EVERYones favorite channels could have been saved and some could have come back form the dead (Special X, Music Lab, etc).

Unlike D* & E*, there's not enough money in the monthly fee to allow for receiver swapouts (as was proposed in the D/E merger talks)

#15 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 650 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:22 AM

I am confused as all hell what Dolly wants.

...she's probably like me, just wants to see return on her investment, whether it be in a 4 year old radio or a life time sub. Losing money is not cool. Losing money to dumb CEO's is uncalled for.:P

...as far as losing something we never had, over a beer lets talk about the NBA.

#16 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:36 AM

The base problem with this merger was incompatible encryption schemes between the services. Now you have an even more inefficient bandwidth usage model. Think about it - now each channel is being broadcast on different wavelengths in all these places:

- XM East satellite
- XM West satellite
- Sirius 1, 2 and 3 in their elliptical orbits.
- Each XM Terrestrial repeater
- Each Sirius terrestrial repeater.

Now I don't quite know how the bandwidth is divided up where the Sirius birds are concerned to avoid interference, but there's now a LOT of duplication out there.

If they could have gone to ONE service using all the bandwith (repeated only on the terrestrial repeaters), then EVERYones favorite channels could have been saved and some could have come back form the dead (Special X, Music Lab, etc).

Unlike D* & E*, there's not enough money in the monthly fee to allow for receiver swapouts (as was proposed in the D/E merger talks)

I thought when the merger came about this was the big plan was to use all the Xm and all the Sirius bandwidth in order to have all the channels so you would not have to choose between XM or Sirius you would just have Satellite radio And hundreds of channels to choose from. you could listen to the sirius channel if you wanted or the XM channel depending on your choice.
I still do not know why we cant do this instead of all this cancelation of channels.

#17 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:46 AM

I thought when the merger came about this was the big plan was to use all the Xm and all the Sirius bandwidth in order to have all the channels so you would not have to choose between XM or Sirius you would just have Satellite radio And hundreds of channels to choose from. you could listen to the sirius channel if you wanted or the XM channel depending on your choice.
I still do not know why we cant do this instead of all this cancelation of channels.

..now were on to something...I vote for this idea....:)

#18 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,838 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:02 PM

It is because the radios that we all now have are designed for one service or the other and not both. An XM radio cannot be programmed for the Sirius frequencies or encoding scheme, or vice-versa. The channels that the two services are sharing are being broadcast on both services at the same time.

And the combined company is eliminating channels to cut its operating expenses.

#19 OFFLINE   ibooksrule

ibooksrule

Godfather

• Registered
  • 435 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:06 PM

All they are doing is losing people left and right. If they keep this up there will be no service left because they will have ruined what could have been the greatest service.

#20 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 650 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 12:32 PM

so..the bottom line is...Mel was right....he now owns 2 satellite radio companies. How cool is that?:lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...