Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Could the Merger be reversed?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   reddice

reddice

Godfather

• Registered
  • 445 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:24 PM

The only way I can see it happen is that Sirius XM goes bankrup and some two big corporations buy them and spit up the company again with each owning one part.
Current Dish Network Subscriber: March 7, 2005 - Now
Current XM Radio Subscriber: November 2002 - Now
Current RoadRunner Earthlink Cable Subscriber: November 2001 - Now
I finally upgrading to HDTV.
Cats are the best pets.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   ThunderRoad

ThunderRoad

AllStar

• Registered
  • 54 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 10:52 PM

That's the part about this merger I always felt was the sticking point and that it's nearly impossible to get everyone (Sirius subs & XM subs) on the same network. Even with combining channels, there's still some channels only available to 1 service or the other. And this company is in no shape to swap Sirius subs over to XM subs with radios.

It also makes a person wonder after they've done this what the status on the dual-band radios would be.....if there's really a need for one now.

#23 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:01 PM

It also makes a person wonder after they've done this what the status on the dual-band radios would be.....if there's really a need for one now.

I would say no. There is no real need IMO, but we'll see them. Like I've posted a few times, the main differences between the two line ups now are the Clear Channel Programming on XM, and the CBC Programming on Sirius. And a few other things. I'm curious when dual band radios come out, what will XM Everything and Sirius Everything cost? They better not charge full price for both subscriptions, no way in hell is having both now worth $26, when 90% of the prgramming is the same.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#24 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,223 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 November 2008 - 12:23 PM

In the run-up to the merger approval, I heard time and itme again the myth that people thought the merger would take a pair of 150-channel services and turn them into a 300-channel universe.

No matter how many times I explained why that couldn't happen, the myth kept popping up over and over. Various articles on the web hoped for this and people kept repeating it as if it were a forthcoming fact. NOWHERE did XM or Sirius people say this would happen. Some people believed what they wanted to believe.

If I would have thought FOR ONE MINUTE that new decyption software could be downloaded to the various radios to support a truly unified service, I would have been 100% behind the merger.

#25 OFFLINE   VaJim

VaJim

Godfather

• Registered
  • 650 posts
  • LocationVirginia beach va

Posted 21 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

In the run-up to the merger approval, I heard time and itme again the myth that people thought the merger would take a pair of 150-channel services and turn them into a 300-channel universe.

No matter how many times I explained why that couldn't happen, the myth kept popping up over and over. Various articles on the web hoped for this and people kept repeating it as if it were a forthcoming fact. NOWHERE did XM or Sirius people say this would happen. Some people believed what they wanted to believe.

If I would have thought FOR ONE MINUTE that new decyption software could be downloaded to the various radios to support a truly unified service, I would have been 100% behind the merger.

..I hear ya!

But part of the problem was beside the 'software' explantion, they had NO plan. If you look at what they're doing is calling themselves 'Sirius XM while still running two types of broadcasts, not too mention gouging the consumer with some 'bridge' deals so you can say you've got the 'best' of both worlds. What they need to do, is figure out to workout the 'software' problem so we all can enjoy the whole buffet or scrap one and pull as many as they need to ther other side. Once they do they, reach back and HELP those are just lost their receivers. Simple!:lol:

#26 OFFLINE   pigskins

pigskins

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 07:26 AM

If you really look at it closely, Sirius subscribers with older receivers can no longer receive channels they had before the merger. People are allowed to be upset and form their own opinions. If you don't agree, fine, but it doesn't make them wrong. SiriusXM made their bed, they must lie in it. I think decisions were made to force people to buy new equipment to help their bottom line. NBA "moving" to XM is one. That's one shady deal. I've personally found that the music selection has changed, for the stations that I had preset on my receiver, to music I don't want to hear. I don't want them to undo the merger, it's going to save me money, I'm switching to free internet radio throughout the house and spend so little time in the car now that it's silly to pay for a sub to listen to it an hour or 2 a week.

You have to admit that you can no longer find them advertising the "Sirius Guarantee" -- the banners are gone from their US site. It used to look like this.
http://www.siriuscan.../guarantee.aspx

They were advertising Sirius as the home of the NBA well after the merger was announced and after the guarantee was announced.
D* customer since 1996, when new customers had to PAY for equipment

#27 OFFLINE   DJConan

DJConan

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 01:34 PM

If you really look at it closely, Sirius subscribers with older receivers can no longer receive channels they had before the merger.

You have to admit that you can no longer find them advertising the "Sirius Guarantee" -- the banners are gone from their US site. It used to look like this.

They were advertising Sirius as the home of the NBA well after the merger was announced and after the guarantee was announced.

My favorite line from that guarantee...

Will my favourite SIRIUS programming
You will not lose any of the unique and premiere programming you love. We’ll also continue to bring in new celebrities, shows and more.

And then...

If you buy a radio today, will it continue to work after the U.S. companies merge?
SIRIUS Canada guarantees that no radios will become obsolete as a result of the U.S. satellite radio merger. With a SIRIUS radio, customers will enjoy an unrivaled, coast-to-coast satellite radio entertainment experience.

My player (S50) has become obsolete as it no longer works the same as it did last week.

#28 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:39 AM

If you really look at it closely, Sirius subscribers with older receivers can no longer receive channels they had before the merger. People are allowed to be upset and form their own opinions. If you don't agree, fine, but it doesn't make them wrong. SiriusXM made their bed, they must lie in it. I think decisions were made to force people to buy new equipment to help their bottom line. NBA "moving" to XM is one. That's one shady deal. I've personally found that the music selection has changed, for the stations that I had preset on my receiver, to music I don't want to hear. I don't want them to undo the merger, it's going to save me money, I'm switching to free internet radio throughout the house and spend so little time in the car now that it's silly to pay for a sub to listen to it an hour or 2 a week.

Congrats. I think someone finally got the point of this thread. I wish I had named it something else. It was meant to be an informational thread on what the group "Saving Sirius" Shareholders want and why they want it. And I read on the XM site with my own eyes pre-merger and it clearly stated that "The Best of" packages wouldn't require new radios. It was the a la cart option that was going to need the new radios. And the site was right in line with what Mel was saying. Of course, that information is not there now so I can't prove it. I have read posts in Forums where people
say they can't get "The Best of" with their radios. Why would these people lie about something like that? May be it is a thing with car radios. However, nothing was ever said that car radios wouldn't be able to get "The Best of" packages. At least I was told that the legal name of the company was actually Sirius so that is why the group calls themselves "Saving Sirius". The company was said to use Sirius XM for marketing purposes. I have no idea if this information is correct or not it is just what I was told.

#29 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 10:17 AM

My favorite line from that guarantee...

Will my favourite SIRIUS programming
You will not lose any of the unique and premiere programming you love. We’ll also continue to bring in new celebrities, shows and more.

And then...

If you buy a radio today, will it continue to work after the U.S. companies merge?
SIRIUS Canada guarantees that no radios will become obsolete as a result of the U.S. satellite radio merger. With a SIRIUS radio, customers will enjoy an unrivaled, coast-to-coast satellite radio entertainment experience.

My player (S50) has become obsolete as it no longer works the same as it did last week.

We have an S50 and it seems to work just fine...our Stiletto and Starmate 1 are also operating just as they did before the merger. Actually, they're a bit better as they added TSN and Maddog Radio to the package.
I haven't subscribed to the best of XM...as there's nothing that I would listen to in that package. The Sirius site shows my radios as being compatible with all of their packages except ala carte.

#30 OFFLINE   DJConan

DJConan

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:15 PM

We have an S50 and it seems to work just fine...our Stiletto and Starmate 1 are also operating just as they did before the merger. Actually, they're a bit better as they added TSN and Maddog Radio to the package.
I haven't subscribed to the best of XM...as there's nothing that I would listen to in that package. The Sirius site shows my radios as being compatible with all of their packages except ala carte.

In order to save a song now, I have to hit record to, what I guess I would call prep it. Then it tells me to press again to start recording, then I have to press again to stop recording. So in order to save a song, I need to hit the save button twice really fast at the start of a song (assuming I know it's something I want to save) and then remember to hit the save button again to stop the recording. Lotta fun while driving.

I also let the player run in my car for 6 hours on Friday and it did not store any of the content like it used to. I had it on a channel that was one of my three most listened to, and I had something like 10 minutes of stored music. 6 hours later, I still had 10 minutes of stored music from that channel.

I almost never listen to live music. I either fill up the buffer, go to my saved songs or listen to one of the 3 channels that are filled up. That way I can skip over what I'm not interested in listening to.

I was already considering dropping Sirius because I was getting bored with the music on the two stations I listened to. They dropped one of my stations so it seemed kind of pointless to pay $13/mo for one station. The change in the save feature was just a secondary issue, but made canceling very easy to live with.

#31 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 06:52 PM

In order to save a song now, I have to hit record to, what I guess I would call prep it. Then it tells me to press again to start recording, then I have to press again to stop recording. So in order to save a song, I need to hit the save button twice really fast at the start of a song (assuming I know it's something I want to save) and then remember to hit the save button again to stop the recording. Lotta fun while driving.

I also let the player run in my car for 6 hours on Friday and it did not store any of the content like it used to. I had it on a channel that was one of my three most listened to, and I had something like 10 minutes of stored music. 6 hours later, I still had 10 minutes of stored music from that channel.

I almost never listen to live music. I either fill up the buffer, go to my saved songs or listen to one of the 3 channels that are filled up. That way I can skip over what I'm not interested in listening to.

I was already considering dropping Sirius because I was getting bored with the music on the two stations I listened to. They dropped one of my stations so it seemed kind of pointless to pay $13/mo for one station. The change in the save feature was just a secondary issue, but made canceling very easy to live with.

Ahh...I tried recording early on with both the S50 and the Stiletto and it just never seemed to work correctly (I didn't put that much effort in though).

#32 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:22 PM

..I hear ya!

But part of the problem was beside the 'software' explantion, they had NO plan. If you look at what they're doing is calling themselves 'Sirius XM while still running two types of broadcasts, not too mention gouging the consumer with some 'bridge' deals so you can say you've got the 'best' of both worlds. What they need to do, is figure out to workout the 'software' problem so we all can enjoy the whole buffet or scrap one and pull as many as they need to ther other side. Once they do they, reach back and HELP those are just lost their receivers. Simple!:lol:

They not only had a plan but it was well known before the merger happened. In early congressional hearings about the proposed merger, they disclosed that plan to produce new radios that can receive both services. Those radios will probably be available in stores early next year.

#33 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:37 PM

What's the point of a receiver that can receive both services now when they now share 90% of the same content?
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Down With Verizon!

#34 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:52 AM

There are people that have posted in many places that they can't get "The Best of Sirius" if they have an XM radio and
also if they have a Sirius Radio they can't get "The Best of XM". That was the point in the merger--people were supposed to be able to get both services without being hurt by having to change equipment. "The Best of" packages were supposed to be available to everyone right away without any equipment change at all. And about the dual service radios will they actually be available? Mel has lied about everything else. And what about me and others like me that have a car radio. Before the merger Mel was saying they would work with the automakers to come up with car radios that would pick up all services so people could have the a la carte program packages. And he made it sound like it wouldn't take that long for that to happen. After the merger Mel said it would take like 15 years for a car radio to come about that would be able to pick up the technology of both sides of the company. I'm actually hoping the later statement was yet another lie by Mel. But with my luck that will have been the one truthful thing Mel has said :rolleyes:

I can tell you this much: I cannot get channel 35 (Holly) or the other Xmas channels on my receiver unless I manually tune to them directly. I've saved them to my favorites, but when I press the corresponding fav. # to which each is assigned, I get "CH unavailable." I then have to switch my receiver's mode from "Favorite Channels" to "Direct," then punch in 35, 36, or 37.

The receiver's only 6 months old, so I know it's not at fault. Funny how this problem never occurred until the big switchover earlier this month.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#35 OFFLINE   cartrivision

cartrivision

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,862 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 04:23 AM

What's the point of a receiver that can receive both services now when they now share 90% of the same content?

The point is that it allows a single radio to get what can't be duplicated because of limited bandwidth, but more importantly, it's a necessity because until the vast majority of subscribers have such radios, Sirius XM will have to continue to duplicate much of the content on the two different systems. When most people finally have such radios many years from now, the merged company will be able to start eliminating most of that duplication in bandwidth use. The sooner they start rolling out such radios, the sooner the elimination of duplication will happen.

#36 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:55 AM

I can tell you this much: I cannot get channel 35 (Holly) or the other Xmas channels on my receiver unless I manually tune to them directly. I've saved them to my favorites, but when I press the corresponding fav. # to which each is assigned, I get "CH unavailable." I then have to switch my receiver's mode from "Favorite Channels" to "Direct," then punch in 35, 36, or 37.

The receiver's only 6 months old, so I know it's not at fault. Funny how this problem never occurred until the big switchover earlier this month.

Have you called or sent an email to their tech support group? Sounds like your receiver needs an update. Maybe they borrowed the CIG technology from DirecTV.

#37 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 10:26 AM

The point is that it allows a single radio to get what can't be duplicated because of limited bandwidth, but more importantly, it's a necessity because until the vast majority of subscribers have such radios, Sirius XM will have to continue to duplicate much of the content on the two different systems. When most people finally have such radios many years from now, the merged company will be able to start eliminating most of that duplication in bandwidth use. The sooner they start rolling out such radios, the sooner the elimination of duplication will happen.

"Many years from now" it will be interesting to see if Sirius XM is still around. And if it is what it will be like. I hope the company makes it because it can be a very good service, however, now the management is awful :raspberry

#38 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,354 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 29 November 2008 - 11:04 AM

Hey! I figured out what this newly merged company needs:

BAILOUT!

:D

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#39 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:27 PM

Hey! I figured out what this newly merged company needs:

BAILOUT!

:D

I think they should have forgotten about the merger and let both companies try for the bailout :D Seems like every business in the country is getting a bailout even if the need for the bailout can be traced right back to the companies themselves :raspberry No one bails me out, if I make poor decisions :rolleyes:

#40 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 05:40 PM

Most of what is not duplicated is Canadian content used for XM Canada and Sirius Canada, which have not merged. And no I don't believe for a second XM and Sirius will ever be truly unique services like they were before. So I don't buy the whole bandwidth for more content thing. Jackass Melvin already killed that idea a few weeks ago when he killed XM. There is no point to dual tuner radios unless you want both the CBC and Clear Channel content. And then what about monthly pricing. Let's say I'm stupid enough to buy a dual band radio, is Melvin going to change me for both XM Everything and Sirius Everything at $12.95 a pop making it $25.90, and paying for 90% of the content twice. Yeah, I was paying $25.90 for both before, but the difference is I was getting about twice as much content then as I do now that to this BS shame of a merger, which should have never been allowed.

Melvin, You Rock! :rolleyes:
Down With Verizon!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...