Jump to content


Welcome to DBSTalk


Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends
 
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Could the Merger be reversed?


  • Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

    Hall Of Fame

  • Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts
Joined: Jan 30, 2007

Posted 30 November 2008 - 03:34 AM

And, of course, the merger was supposed to mean more choices at less cost :( :mad: You have to give Mel credit as a salesman. A "snake oil" salesman because he is one very slick liar. His lies took in a whole lot of people. How can a company be merged and yet not merged :confused: They still even have two different websites :eek2: You can't join your accounts :girlscrea The company is still in a ton of debt :rolleyes: All I know that happened was a lot of people lost their jobs and a lot of subs lost their favorite stations :raspberry

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   ThunderRoad

ThunderRoad

    AllStar

  • Registered
  • 54 posts
Joined: May 12, 2006

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:44 PM

I agree. I think the chances of there being a dual-band radio are slim to none, since 90% of the programming is the same, and for the other 10% I assume they've done rather well selling "Best of" subscriptions. I never understood the point of a dual band radio while they were deciding on the merger when there was talk of some of the duplicate channels being merged. I think Mel led the FCC to believe the merging of channels wouldn't be as drastic as what occurred, that they put in there that a dual band radio had to be produced.

There's a few other conditions they really haven't followed through on very well.

Ala carte.....they did that half-hearted just to get by with. Put out 1 ala carte model receiver and have ala carte packages that you have to look up and down the Sirius website to find them, as if they don't want people to find them....they don't even offer it on the XM side.

Not that it hurts my feelings, but I think they're already trying to balk on the special interest channels, getting a 3-month extension from the FCC.

Makes a person wonder how they're doing with the compatibility issues for the FM transmitters on people's receivers. They were supposed to start reporting that to the FCC every 3 months.

Another condition that'll be interesting to see what happens is next August. Yes, the company agreed to a 3-year price freeze....but they were given the loophole to raise prices after the 1st year of the merger if they had any increase in programming costs. That might be a big risk for them to take, unless maybe they'll feel the raise in subscription rates will offset whatever cancellations there would be because of it.

#43 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

    Hall Of Fame

  • Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts
Joined: Jan 30, 2007

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:44 PM

Mel says no price increases and that Sirius XM is making money in Q4 :eek2: I find that hard to believe since I read so many XM people cancelled. But, of course, since I'm reading from the XM side of the business may be the Sirius side of the business is doing much better? And this is a "merged" company what an unfunny joke that is :raspberry

#44 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

    RIP

  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts
Joined: Feb 12, 2007

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:15 PM

I agree. I think the chances of there being a dual-band radio are slim to none, since 90% of the programming is the same, and for the other 10% I assume they've done rather well selling "Best of" subscriptions. I never understood the point of a dual band radio while they were deciding on the merger when there was talk of some of the duplicate channels being merged. I think Mel led the FCC to believe the merging of channels wouldn't be as drastic as what occurred, that they put in there that a dual band radio had to be produced.

There's a few other conditions they really haven't followed through on very well.

Ala carte.....they did that half-hearted just to get by with. Put out 1 ala carte model receiver and have ala carte packages that you have to look up and down the Sirius website to find them, as if they don't want people to find them....they don't even offer it on the XM side.

Not that it hurts my feelings, but I think they're already trying to balk on the special interest channels, getting a 3-month extension from the FCC.

Makes a person wonder how they're doing with the compatibility issues for the FM transmitters on people's receivers. They were supposed to start reporting that to the FCC every 3 months.

Another condition that'll be interesting to see what happens is next August. Yes, the company agreed to a 3-year price freeze....but they were given the loophole to raise prices after the 1st year of the merger if they had any increase in programming costs. That might be a big risk for them to take, unless maybe they'll feel the raise in subscription rates will offset whatever cancellations there would be because of it.


You are 99% wrong on the dual-band tuner...It's not on store shelves yet, but there are surely some of them in other places.

#45 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

    Hall Of Fame

  • Banned User
  • 11,499 posts
Joined: Mar 21, 2002

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:20 PM

I agree. I think the chances of there being a dual-band radio are slim to none, since 90% of the programming is the same, and for the other 10% I assume they've done rather well selling "Best of" subscriptions. I never understood the point of a dual band radio while they were deciding on the merger when there was talk of some of the duplicate channels being merged. I think Mel led the FCC to believe the merging of channels wouldn't be as drastic as what occurred, that they put in there that a dual band radio had to be produced.


Actually the remaining ~10% are the Canadian stations (both music and talk) and the Clear Channel stations on XM for the most part.

Sirius Only:
Music - Sirius Hits 1
Talk - ESPN Full Access, ESPN Deportes, Sirius Sports Central, Sporting News Radio, Sports Extra, OutQ, Road Dog, NPR Talk, Sirius Patriot, Sirius Left, JBC PremierPlus, RCI, EWTN Radio
Canadian Music - Iceberg 95, CBC Radio 3, Bandeapart, Rock Velours, Energie
Canadian Talk - Sports Express 97, Hardcore Sports Radio, CBC Radio One

Howard 100, Howard 101, Martha Stewart Living, NFL Radio, NASCAR Radio, Playboy Radio available with Best of Sirius on XM

XM Only:
Music - Top 20 On 20, The Village, The Groove
Talk - ESPN Xtra, XM Deportivo, MLB Home Plate, C-SPAN Radio, Fox Business News, America Right, America Left, The Power, Open Road
Canadian Music - The Verge, Air Musque, La Sup Route
Canadian Talk -Radio Parallele, Canada 360, Quoi de Neuf
Clear Channel - Nashville, Kiss, Mix, Pink, Rock @ Random, Fox Sports Radio, Extreme Talk, America's Talk, Reach MD, Talk Radio, National Lampoon Radio

Oprah & Friends, XM Public Radio, The Virus, NHL Come Ice, PGA Tour Newtork and IRL available with Best of XM on Sirius.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#46 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

    Hall Of Fame

  • Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts
Joined: Jan 30, 2007

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:41 PM

Actually they have to do those radios not just because of the Sirius, XM, stations, but those new radios were also supposed to be able to get HD Radio. I know about HD TV, but I haven't a clue as to what HD Radio is :confused:

#47 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

    RIP

  • Registered
  • 6,201 posts
Joined: Feb 12, 2007

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:05 PM

Actually they have to do those radios not just because of the Sirius, XM, stations, but those new radios were also supposed to be able to get HD Radio. I know about HD TV, but I haven't a clue as to what HD Radio is :confused:


No, they don't have to do HD for their new radios that was a BS request by NAB that they tried to force through the FCC. HD radio is the same crap terrestrial radio we have today only in a digital format.

I would suggest that SiriusXM should be forced to make their radios HD compliant as soon as NAB forces all radio makers to make every radio SiriusXM compliant.

#48 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

    Hall Of Fame

  • Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts
Joined: Jan 30, 2007

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:38 PM

No, they don't have to do HD for their new radios that was a BS request by NAB that they tried to force through the FCC. HD radio is the same crap terrestrial radio we have today only in a digital format.

I would suggest that SiriusXM should be forced to make their radios HD compliant as soon as NAB forces all radio makers to make every radio SiriusXM compliant.

OOPS Sorry :blush: That story was from HD Radio people who want it to be done that way. I know on TV HD is great, but I don't see how it would help radio that much :confused:

#49 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

    Hall Of Fame

  • Banned User
  • 11,499 posts
Joined: Mar 21, 2002

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:09 AM

HD = Hybrid Digital, not High Defination. Great marketing by iBiquity, the brain behind digital terrestrial radio in the US.

The long and the short of the radio industry's AM Stereo for the 21st century. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Radio
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#50 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

    Hall Of Fame

  • Topic Starter
  • Banned User
  • 2,179 posts
Joined: Jan 30, 2007

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:18 PM

HD = Hybrid Digital, not High Defination. Great marketing by iBiquity, the brain behind digital terrestrial radio in the US.

The long and the short of the radio industry's AM Stereo for the 21st century. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_Radio

Gee Steve thanks for the information :sunsmile: I have learned soooooooo much on this Forum. Including that I'm selfish and that choices and alternatives are needed. Wonder who taught me those things :D




Protected By... spam firewall...And...