Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

HD Locals: Des Moines-Ames, IA

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,917 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:59 AM

Established: 11/19/2008

Edited by Gary Toma, 04 July 2014 - 03:48 PM.

DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   jeffcarp

jeffcarp

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:35 PM

I can confirm receiving ABC, CBS, NBC and FOX in HD today in Des Moines. Everything is fine except ABC, Channel 5. The audio and video is out of sync so badly that it isn't watchable. It is off by seconds.

#3 OFFLINE   Skiman

Skiman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 07:56 PM

I can confirm the same. I'm not surprised to hear problems with ABC (5). Their OTA signal is the weakest in the market to begin with. As of right now, however, their signal looks and sounds fine and is in sync.

Also found it interesting - but not terribly surprising - that CW isn't available. No doubt they took a hard line in negotiations that didn't pan out, but no real loss since their only HD programming is in prime.

I'm just glad we finally have the big 4 after waiting for over a year!

#4 OFFLINE   jeffcarp

jeffcarp

AllStar

• Registered
  • 86 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:46 PM

Two years....The original DirecTV press release indicated delivery in late 2006.

I can confirm the same. I'm not surprised to hear problems with ABC (5). Their OTA signal is the weakest in the market to begin with. As of right now, however, their signal looks and sounds fine and is in sync.

Also found it interesting - but not terribly surprising - that CW isn't available. No doubt they took a hard line in negotiations that didn't pan out, but no real loss since their only HD programming is in prime.

I'm just glad we finally have the big 4 after waiting for over a year!

#5 OFFLINE   Night Train

Night Train

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 11:55 AM

I am seeing a lot of audio/video sync issues with 17 also.

#6 OFFLINE   slharder

slharder

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 02:32 PM

Subject says it all.

#7 OFFLINE   DO4ISU

DO4ISU

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 November 2008 - 07:30 AM

Channel 5 (WOI) was very bad last night. It was pixilating very bad. About every couple of minutes or so.

It was a clear night last night with good signal strength.

Directv and WOI please work to resolve this. My wife got very upset while watching Gray's Anatomy.
GO CYCLONES!!

#8 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 21 November 2008 - 11:03 AM

Date and Time: Since turn on, and continuing at least until last night. Haven't checked since then.

WOI pixellating badly (Channel 5)

There is some pixellation OTA, but not as bad as HD-LIL

Signals are strong and stable. (both OTA and Sat)

The channel is unwatchable via HD-LIL.
The channel is annoying OTA.

Channels 8/13/17 are working reasonably well.

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#9 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 21 November 2008 - 08:40 PM

Life on Mars: Thursday, 9:00 p.m. Recorded on 5-1 OTA Local....virtually impossible to watch with heavy, repeated pixellation. Signal is strong, so I suspect something wrong at the transmitter, which would explain why it also looked/sounded horrible on HD-LIL as well. Garbage In > Garbage Out

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#10 OFFLINE   bgottschalk

bgottschalk

Icon

• Registered
  • 578 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:50 PM

Channel 5 (WOI) was very bad last night. It was pixilating very bad. About every couple of minutes or so.

It was a clear night last night with good signal strength.

Directv and WOI please work to resolve this. My wife got very upset while watching Gray's Anatomy.

Ditto...I thought the signal from the sat would be more reliable than OTA. But for Grey's it was MUCH worse than I've ever seen from OTA.

The entire picture would break up every five minutes or so with large green blocks and the sound would cut out.

I'm hoping it was just an anomoly and won't continue....:confused:
HR20-700 (7Mb DSL hardwired)
HR24-100 (7Mb DSL hardwired)
HR24-500 (7Mb DSL hardwired)
Samsung LCD LN55C650 (HDMI)
Panasonic Plasma TC-P50G10 (HDMI)
Panasonic Plasma TH-42PX60U (HDMI)

#11 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:41 PM

Ditto...I thought the signal from the sat would be more reliable than OTA. But for Grey's it was MUCH worse than I've ever seen from OTA.

The entire picture would break up every five minutes or so with large green blocks and the sound would cut out.

I'm hoping it was just an anomoly and won't continue....:confused:

There is a considerable amount of "fine tuning" that needs to be done when HD-LILs are turned on. Encoders at the station end come to mind. There is nothing we need to do, other than report results...the work needs to be accomplished by the local station and D*.

Expect anomalies for a while. Eventually it will settle down.

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#12 OFFLINE   bgottschalk

bgottschalk

Icon

• Registered
  • 578 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 10:25 PM

Is it just me or are the new HD locals (off the satellite) for Des Moines just God-aweful?

I am seriously considering changing my series links back to the OTA channels - they are much more solid.

The lip sync issues on most if not all HD locals are so bad you almost wonder if it is coming from the same source. The picture constantly breaks up into huge green stripes across the entire screen and today channel 17 (fox) had no picture, but was playing the sound from channel 13 (nbc).

I can switch over to the OTA channel and it is always perfect.

I'm less than impressed. Is this all the better it gets or is it just me? :confused:

#13 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,853 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 15 December 2008 - 07:50 AM

Is it just me or are the new HD locals (off the satellite) for Des Moines just God-aweful?

I am seriously considering changing my series links back to the OTA channels - they are much more solid.

The lip sync issues on most if not all HD locals are so bad you almost wonder if it is coming from the same source. The picture constantly breaks up into huge green stripes across the entire screen and today channel 17 (fox) had no picture, but was playing the sound from channel 13 (nbc).

I'm less than impressed. Is this all the better it gets or is it just me? :confused:

Channel 5 (ABC) has been particularly bad, but their history is pretty poor even OTA without going through D*.

When HD-LIL is first turned on in a lot of areas, there may be problems for a few weeks to a few months. This has happened in quite a few areas, but a few have had little to no problems.

I would consider what is going on with our HD-LILs to be "pretty typical" for startup issues. I'm in central Iowa, so I don't need HD-LIL. OTA works perfectly here on my HR20-700, HR20-100, and HR21-200/AM21 combo. I have all my series links set to OTA and don't plan to change any of them. Any interest I have in HD-LIL is purely technical. If prior trends hold, they will eventually get it all figured out and HD-LIL performance will be very, very good. Just don't be in a hurry.:)

...hasan, N0AN

DirecTV since 1995

#14 OFFLINE   mauijiminar

mauijiminar

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 08:06 AM

This happend with my ABC local in Little Rock after Directv starting transmitting locals. It took about 3 weeks to get it fixed. Lip sync was bad over Directv but not ota. They did get it fixed though.

#15 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 11:07 AM

Also, Channel 5 has been behind the tech curve forever. I remember when I first came to town (1985) and was surprised that Ch. 5 didn't use broadcast-quality videotape; I could swear they were using home camcorders, the quality was so awful.

Depending on whether you have a good outside antenna, you may be better off with OTA. I live on the west side of DM and use an indoor antenna and generally get consistent reception from Ch. 8, 11 and 17, intermittent pixelation from Ch. 13 and terrible pixelation from Ch. 5. Last night I switched from OTA 13 to D* 13 to get the NFL game better, but it didn't help -- the Giants still played awful! :D
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#16 OFFLINE   bgottschalk

bgottschalk

Icon

• Registered
  • 578 posts

Posted 15 December 2008 - 09:13 PM

This happend with my ABC local in Little Rock after Directv starting transmitting locals. It took about 3 weeks to get it fixed. Lip sync was bad over Directv but not ota. They did get it fixed though.

I can live with startup issues if it will be getting better. OTA has worked very well for me. But that doesn't help on my HR21-100 in the living room and I like the idea of the MPEG-4 taking up less space on my HD than OTA.

I guess I'll keep waiting and see how it goes.

#17 OFFLINE   sean67854

sean67854

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 10:01 AM

Anyone know what was up with Fox last night? Both the OTA and D* signals were down. I missed T:TSSC!
www.snelsonco.org

#18 OFFLINE   bgottschalk

bgottschalk

Icon

• Registered
  • 578 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 07:04 PM

Anyone know what was up with Fox last night? Both the OTA and D* signals were down. I missed T:TSSC!

Yeah - I've really become addiced to that show! Really bites that it was down, but since the OTA was down as well, I'm assuming it was the local Fox station's issue.

Luckily I bought the PlayOn app, so I will be snuggling in tonight to watch last night's episode on Hulu over PlayOn. Not HD, but better than nothing...:D

#19 OFFLINE   sean67854

sean67854

AllStar

• Registered
  • 97 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 10:13 AM

What is PlayOn? I can get the ep from the xbox marketplace too, but I want my HD darnit!
www.snelsonco.org

#20 OFFLINE   bodhijames

bodhijames

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 08:38 AM

Just checking to see if everyone's locals in Des Moines are still well below average. Fox 17 is unwatchable still. The other networks are borderline at best.

thanks.

is this something that is eventually going to be worked out? I still will never understand why DTV removed the OTA jack on all of the new receivers!

spam firewall