Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

AU9, SWM, Lost Even TP's

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,214 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:51 PM

WooHoo! :hurah:

Yep. :)

Thanks again VOS. Now lovin the meters to technically check rather then just using trial-and-error.

The only remaining question is what caused the problem. I don't think "water" had anything to do with it.

My current theory is that the dual SWM setup doesn't like multiple tuners on the non-power passing side SWM; or it doesn't like the use of the legacy port on the non-power passing side SWM. Those were the only changes made after the dual SWM setup had been running for many months.

I switched to the power passing splitters based on some searching and looking at other implementations.

I really want to get the 1020a working but need to 100% verify that the current setup works before attempting it again.
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#52 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,133 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:22 PM

Yep. :)

Thanks again VOS. Now lovin the meters to technically check rather then just using trial-and-error.

The only remaining question is what caused the problem. I don't think "water" had anything to do with it.

My current theory is that the dual SWM setup doesn't like multiple tuners on the non-power passing side SWM; or it doesn't like the use of the legacy port on the non-power passing side SWM. Those were the only changes made after the dual SWM setup had been running for many months.

I switched to the power passing splitters based on some searching and looking at other implementations.

I really want to get the 1020a working but need to 100% verify that the current setup works before attempting it again.

You're "going the right direction", and "I can't think" [maybe I should stop here :lol: ] that the 1020a would give you any trouble off a legacy port.

What "fried" your cable(s) was excessive current. As I've posted, either over voltage or low impedance would be the cause. "Voltage" might be due to a ground and "low impedance" might be due to water.
It's "the old" I=E/R "thing"
[where I is current, E is voltage, & R is resistance (aka impedance)]
A.K.A VOS

#53 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,214 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:25 PM

You're "going the right direction", and "I can't think" [maybe I should stop here :lol: ] that the 1020a would give you any trouble off a legacy port.

What "fried" your cable(s) was excessive current. As I've posted, either over voltage or low impedance would be the cause. "Voltage" might be due to a ground and "low impedance" might be due to water.
It's "the old" I=E/R "thing"
[where I is current, E is voltage, & R is resistance (aka impedance)]

The troubling part that I can't shake is that the problem started within days of changing the setup. Seems like too much of a coincidence.

I've gone back to trace my steps. I added the 1020a on Thursday night. Just plugged it into the SWM#2 legacy port. But I didn't get it working right away. Then on Friday night I got the H21 (10th tuner) and hooked it to SWM#2. Then Sunday I got the 1020a to successfully read data. Then Wednesday morning, all of the receivers in the house were "searching for signal". Wednesday night I discovered the burned out splitter.

These were the only changes to the setup since mid-January.

Had the dual SWM setup from mid-January to mid-November with zero problems. Not a single issue. Added the H21 and 1020a, and within a few days, burned out two splitters.

VOS, since the old environment had nothing grounded, maybe there was a latent problem that surfaced with more load?
DirecTV: Genie HR44, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/75)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#54 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,133 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:11 PM

The troubling part that I can't shake is that the problem started within days of changing the setup. Seems like too much of a coincidence.

VOS, since the old environment had nothing grounded, maybe there was a latent problem that surfaced with more load?

I understand the "it's bugging me" aspect, but really have no clue.
Grounding "is good", but I can't quite "figure" how without it the current flow would get high enough.
Sometimes you just need to break it all down, verify each piece, put it back together and then see. Many times [with aircraft] I've done just this and they work fine/last long time, after.
A.K.A VOS

#55 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,214 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:46 PM

Been a week now with the new configuration. New RG6 between dish and splitters. New splitters. Everything grounded. All has been fine.

Just powered off the SWM's and inspected the 4 cables from the dish to the 4 splitters.

Especially wanted to look at splitter #2 which connects to the 2nd port on the SWM's. The connection labeled Sat 99/101 13v. This is the splitter that burned out twice.

Well, although everything is fine, upon inspecting all 4 splitters, that same connection for splitter #2 look very slightly darkened. There was a very small blackish spec or two within the RG6 connector.

I wonder if I still have a problem.

What the heck could be the problem (if there is one).

This is the input connection to splitter #2, which feeds the 99/101 13V port of each SWM.

Might there be a slight problem out at the LNB?

All thoughts welcome.

There is the possibility that there was some slight residue left over when I removed the old splitter but I thought I cleaned it all perfect.

Also, now that it's been a week, I hooked up the 1020a to the legacy port. Fingers crossed!

#56 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 42,133 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:00 PM

Been a week now with the new configuration. New RG6 between dish and splitters. New splitters. Everything grounded. All has been fine.

Just powered off the SWM's and inspected the 4 cables from the dish to the 4 splitters.

Especially wanted to look at splitter #2 which connects to the 2nd port on the SWM's. The connection labeled Sat 99/101 13v. This is the splitter that burned out twice.

Well, although everything is fine, upon inspecting all 4 splitters, that same connection for splitter #2 look very slightly darkened. There was a very small blackish spec or two within the RG6 connector.

I wonder if I still have a problem.

What the heck could be the problem (if there is one).

This is the input connection to splitter #2, which feeds the 99/101 13V port of each SWM.

Might there be a slight problem out at the LNB?

All thoughts welcome.

There is the possibility that there was some slight residue left over when I removed the old splitter but I thought I cleaned it all perfect.

Also, now that it's been a week, I hooked up the 1020a to the legacy port. Fingers crossed!

I'd clean it again, and maybe swap it to the 99/101 18 volt splitter. Then come back and see if the 13 volt or the 18 volt showed any signs of this again. If it did move to the 18 volt splitter, then this might point to "something" at the dish.
A.K.A VOS

#57 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 12,214 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 01:19 PM

I'd clean it again, and maybe swap it to the 99/101 18 volt splitter. Then come back and see if the 13 volt or the 18 volt showed any signs of this again. If it did move to the 18 volt splitter, then this might point to "something" at the dish.

Yep, did go back (since I posted) with a white tissue and cleaned it. Also looked at the other 3. They actually all had a very slight barely visible blackish residue when I looked at the tissue after I plugged up the inside of the RG6 connections and swiped around. But that connection #2 was more visible.

It's not much but visible.

Just cleaned all 4 and will check again after some time passes.

Thanks.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...