Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Basic install & alignment procedures for SL3 LNB on AU9 Slimline dish

transponders

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   tkitzky

tkitzky

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:28 AM

Hello everyone! I have a question about installing and aligning a SL3 lnb (four outpus) on a AU9 Slimline dish as compared to the SL3-SWM.

I am helping a friend install a Dtv system for a new HR22 HD-DVR receiver. He will only have one receiver for his system. Also local channels are not an issue. He only needs the usual 99, 101 and 103 satellites. I told him to order the AU9-SL3 dish from solidsignal. I was expecting that system to come with a SWM single-wire LNB, but it comes with the SL3 four wire lnb.

Since he has the SL3 lnb, I am assuming we can just run two RG6 coax's from the dish to his receiver since his HR22 has two sat inputs. I am not sure what voltage is required for SL3. I had my friend buy the PI-21 power inserter expecting this would be a SWM setup. Can we still use the PI-21 21v power inserter instead of relying on power sourced from the receiver? It might be better for the receiver in the long run not to sink so much power. (I'd rather have a replaceable PI mounted in the basement on the wall doing that job.)

I have worked with SWM system and know how to align the dish using an Acutrac Pro meter and the ASL-1 splitter to align on the 101 sat. How do you do this with the SL3? Do I just plug my accutrac inline and start aligning? Is the ASL-1 not required in this instance? If not, how do I know I am aligning on the 101? Do I need to connect to the receiver or can this be done cold (e.g. not connected to receiver until fully aligned)? I believe my Acutrac Pro has a 13V battery... not sure if that would power the SL3 though.

Thanks in advance!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:44 AM

Do not connect a SWM PI to a non SWM LNB.

Your meter will power an SL3. Connect it straight to the LNB.

Peak on the 101 then dither.

Two lines to the HR22.

#3 OFFLINE   tkitzky

tkitzky

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for that reply. That answers almost everyrthing for me. I am almost good-to-go. Just one thing to clarify.

To align to the 101 sat, I just connect my accutrac and then what? I don't think my accutrac is intelligent enough to know what satellite it is receiving. How do I know I am aligning to 101? Do I still use the ASL-1 to manually "filter" for 101? Or is that the only satellite I will receive on my meter until I hook-up the receiver?

Sorry to be a pain... My fundamental understanding on these Dtv systems is a little shaky. Things have changed over the years and I've switched around between dtv and dish. So I know a little about a little. Thanks for the patience.

#4 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 22 November 2008 - 02:58 PM

I haven't used the ASL-1 and don't think it filters out the 101, if it does then its worth a lot more than I paid for mine. It's only used with SWM.

You start with a plumb mast. Set the elevation and point the dish in the correct direction. A compass helps.

You could hook up both lines to the HR22 plus one to your meter and have your bud sit inside where it's warm, guarding the beer an monitoring your progress.

#5 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,813 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 22 November 2008 - 04:33 PM

You do NOT use the ASL-1 to align a non-SWM LNB/dish. Connect your meter directly to one of the LNB connectors. You can connect the receiver to your meter if you need the power.

With the Accutrac, turn the 22KHz tone OFF. That way you are reading 101. Set the elevation and tilt to the specified values, then adjust azimuth until you find the signal and peak it. Take the accutrac out of line and check the receiver to see if you really are on 101 (good transponder readings on most transponders). If you are, then check 99c and 103c. If those are both in the 80's or 90's you should be good. If not, then using the receiver as your meter, do the fine tuning/dithering to maximize 99c and 103c.

Return the power inserter, you don't need it and absolutely should not try to use it with the non-SWM LNB.

#6 OFFLINE   akgarrett62

akgarrett62

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 10:07 AM

[quote name='carl6']You do NOT use the ASL-1 to align a non-SWM LNB/dish. Connect your meter directly to one of the LNB connectors. You can connect the receiver to your meter if you need the power.

With the Accutrac, turn the 22KHz tone OFF. That way you are reading 101. Set the elevation and tilt to the specified values, then adjust azimuth until you find the signal and peak it. Take the accutrac out of line and check the receiver to see if you really are on 101 (good transponder readings on most transponders). If you are, then check 99c and 103c. If those are both in the 80's or 90's you should be good. If not, then using the receiver as your meter, do the fine tuning/dithering to maximize 99c and 103c.

Hey Carl...can you use the method you spoke of above with the analog sat finder meter to read 101?

#7 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:59 PM

That should work fine no tone is going to give you either 101 even or odd transponders depending on if you are doing 13 or 18 volts but either it's still fine. 22khz tone will give you 110/119 on a SL5. On an SL3 you should actually get 101 either way since they place 101 on the tone side with 103 hi/lo to provide guide data.

#8 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 01:35 PM

Do not connect a SWM PI to a non SWM LNB.

Yeah. 21V from the PI will mess up the LNB for sure.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#9 OFFLINE   evan_s

evan_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 02:12 PM

Yeah. 21V from the PI will mess up the LNB for sure.

I wouldn't want to try it out but it might not fry anything. 18v is part of the normal signaling/power for a standard LNB. Even if it didn't fry the lnb tho it would definitely mess up the signaling and you'd only get the even transponders since the LNB would always be seeing the 18v side of the signaling.

spam firewall