Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Universal inks exclusive rights deal with the estate of Robert Ludlum

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,437 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 22 November 2008 - 10:06 PM

From Variety:
Apparently,Universal envisions the "Jason Bourne" film franchise as an answer to the "James Bond" film franchise.
Universal has made a deal with the estate of "Bourne Identity" author Robert Ludlum.The overall deal gives Universal exclusive rights to the Jason Bourne character,and "first look" rights to other Ludlum novels.
After the first 3 "Bourne" films grossed more than $1 billion worldwide,Universal signed Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass to a fourth installment for the franchise.That film should be ready for a Summer 2010 release.
More info at the following link.

http://www.variety.c...egoryid=13&cs=1

Steve

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   studdad

studdad

Icon

• Registered
  • 654 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 11:54 PM

From Variety:
Apparently,Universal envisions the "Jason Bourne" film franchise as an answer to the "James Bond" film franchise.
Universal has made a deal with the estate of "Bourne Identity" author Robert Ludlum.The overall deal gives Universal exclusive rights to the Jason Bourne character,and "first look" rights to other Ludlum novels.
After the first 3 "Bourne" films grossed more than $1 billion worldwide,Universal signed Matt Damon and director Paul Greengrass to a fourth installment for the franchise.That film should be ready for a Summer 2010 release.
More info at the following link.

http://www.variety.c...egoryid=13&cs=1

Some other Ludlum movies would be great, as I am a big fan. Put the same effort into others as the Bourne Franchise and you are bound to have winners.

#3 OFFLINE   bobukcat

bobukcat

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,965 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 09:39 PM

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I really like Ludlum's novels and read the original Bourne trilogy 12 years ago or so. When the movie was announced I was excited, and it's a good movie, but changing the fundamental element of the story (David/Jason was not actually an assasin!!) really soured me on it and every time I watch one of them it eats at me.

If they don't *******ize them too much the other two novels (off the top of my head) that I think would make good movies are "The Scorpio Illusion" and "The Gemini Contenders" - the second one would seem to be a good choice now based on the success of "Davinci Code" and the hype surrounding the upcoming "Angels & Demons" adaptation.

One thing I don't like is the practice of other people writing (or finishing very brief beginnings written by the original) novels and publishing it as Ludlum's work - some of those are just plain horrible and would make the man furious would he still be with us.

#4 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 01:39 PM

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I really like Ludlum's novels and read the original Bourne trilogy 12 years ago or so. When the movie was announced I was excited, and it's a good movie, but changing the fundamental element of the story (David/Jason was not actually an assasin!!) really soured me on it and every time I watch one of them it eats at me.

If they don't *******ize them too much the other two novels (off the top of my head) that I think would make good movies are "The Scorpio Illusion" and "The Gemini Contenders" - the second one would seem to be a good choice now based on the success of "Davinci Code" and the hype surrounding the upcoming "Angels & Demons" adaptation.

One thing I don't like is the practice of other people writing (or finishing very brief beginnings written by the original) novels and publishing it as Ludlum's work - some of those are just plain horrible and would make the man furious would he still be with us.

without Ludlum to write the story, I question if it would be as good a story.
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

Protected By... spam firewall...And...