Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PlayOn: Watch Hulu, YouTube, CBS, CNN, ESPN, and Netflix on your TV using your HR20?

• Please log in to reply
568 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:59 AM

Totally different. TVersity streams things you already have. PlayOn streams content from the internet.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:00 AM

how does this compare to tversity?

If youre just looking for the services PlayOn lists then this is much easier. If you want flexability you need Tversity.

With PlayOn you can be watching titles out of your netflix instant watch Queue in 5 mins after installing the software assuming you already networked your HR.

#23 OFFLINE   Bushwacr

Bushwacr

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:21 AM

Totally different. TVersity streams things you already have. PlayOn streams content from the internet.

Tversity also streams internet content, in some respects better, if you know how to pull feeds.

#24 OFFLINE   Bushwacr

Bushwacr

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:25 AM

If youre just looking for the services PlayOn lists then this is much easier. If you want flexability you need Tversity.

With PlayOn you can be watching titles out of your netflix instant watch Queue in 5 mins after installing the software assuming you already networked your HR.

Personally, I run both at the same time; covers all bases until Playon adds local media to their bag of tricks.

One advantage to Tversity is the ability to customize feeds which gives it a wider source of content than You Tube.

#25 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:26 AM

Tversity also streams internet content, in some respects better, if you know how to pull feeds.

Well, I did not know that. I couldn't get it to work :)

#26 OFFLINE   Bushwacr

Bushwacr

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:37 AM

Well, I did not know that. I couldn't get it to work :)

Yeah well the Tversity devs docs leave a lot to be desired.

It can pull YouTube, radio sites, etc. if you can figure out the feed specs or url snoop.

It takes a lot of trial and error or you gotta read bhelton's posts in the Tversity thread. He's a frikkin' genius with Tversity and knows more than the developers. They oughtta pay him.

#27 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,907 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:42 AM

If it's the same bhelton who's been here he's a frikkin' genius here too.

#28 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:10 PM

Personally, I run both at the same time; covers all bases until Playon adds local media to their bag of tricks.

One advantage to Tversity is the ability to customize feeds which gives it a wider source of content than You Tube.

Exactly, I have both running also.

To each his own but this is getting sweet lemme telll ya!

#29 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:12 PM

Just out of curiosity... how good is the video with Playon on the screen?

I'm sure it's not HD quality but is it at least DVD quality?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a report that said the typical symptoms of stress were eating too much, drinking too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Who are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011
now with Verizon FIOS and loving the faster DVR and being able to use both the external & internal drives at the same time

#30 OFFLINE   Bushwacr

Bushwacr

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:19 PM

If it's the same bhelton who's been here he's a frikkin' genius here too.

That be him. I always stop by the "Winner is Tversity" thread here. I think he has instructions on streaming the Mars lander. He has enormous tips on streaming the net in there.

#31 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:24 PM

From my testing it obviously depends on the quality of the original content. Stuff from CBS is in SD quality that I saw. ESPN and YouTube look pretty bad but then their videos are made for the web. Hulu I was *very* impressed with. I watched the first 30 minutes of Underworld Evolution and it was DVD quality to me (I do have a 6 meg connection). Older TV shows look worse obviously but newer shows and movies from Hulu and Netflix look great.

My biggest disappointment is it's in stereo only and not DD 5.1.

#32 OFFLINE   Bushwacr

Bushwacr

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:25 PM

I'd say it depends on the content streamed and the quality the provider puts up. Old TV shows on Hulu weren't that high quality to begin with; current shows are very good. I watched a Fringe episode and was quite satisfied.

It also depends on the horsepower of the server pc which lets you select the quality of the stream. I use max on 2 decent machines and have no issues. The laptop with 1.3Gz won't cut it.

#33 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:28 PM

From my testing it obviously depends on the quality of the original content. Stuff from CBS is in SD quality that I saw. ESPN and YouTube look pretty bad but then their videos are made for the web. Hulu I was *very* impressed with. I watched the first 30 minutes of Underworld Evolution and it was DVD quality to me (I do have a 6 meg connection). Older TV shows look worse obviously but newer shows and movies from Hulu and Netflix look great.

My biggest disappointment is it's in stereo only and not DD 5.1.

Sounds good. I just downloaded it so I'll give it a try tonight. Bandwidth won't be a problem, I have a 20/10 FIOS service at home.
I read a report that said the typical symptoms of stress were eating too much, drinking too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Who are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011
now with Verizon FIOS and loving the faster DVR and being able to use both the external & internal drives at the same time

#34 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

Chiming in, Hulu is ok, CBS for me on the shows we watched were heavy with compression artifacts, and NetFlix did pretty well but was still obviously a bit below DVD quality. Netflix recently posted a great blog post on their streaming encoding at http://blog.netflix....-streaming.html

The output out of Tversity has been better but its a what you pay for kind of thing to me. With PlayOn you get grandma level simplification of setup. With Tversity you can have a steak if your willing to learn grill fu!

#35 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:17 PM

Chiming in, Hulu is ok, CBS for me on the shows we watched were heavy with compression artifacts, and NetFlix did pretty well but was still obviously a bit below DVD quality. Netflix recently posted a great blog post on their streaming encoding at http://blog.netflix....-streaming.html

The output out of Tversity has been better but its a what you pay for kind of thing to me. With PlayOn you get grandma level simplification of setup. With Tversity you can have a steak if your willing to learn grill fu!

So.. are you saying that you can get Tversity to stream Netflix and/or Hulu? Or am I reading that wrong? (Been known to happen..the mind is the first to go.;) )

Directv 3/1998-9/2011

#36 OFFLINE   87vert

87vert

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:26 PM

I currently use Tversity to stream my media including youtube, I would like however to add Netflix if possible.

#37 OFFLINE   Bushwacr

Bushwacr

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:32 PM

So.. are you saying that you can get Tversity to stream Netflix and/or Hulu? Or am I reading that wrong? (Been known to happen..the mind is the first to go.;) )

Tversity can't do Netflix or Hulu or CBS.

#38 OFFLINE   rahlquist

rahlquist

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,631 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:36 PM

Sorry didn't meant to insinuate that. I have not gotten either of those things to happen. I strictly meant that for now PlayOn due to its simplicity on the front end has limited potential. Tversity however due to its complexity throughout allows for you to sample more diverse fare.

So to that effect PlayOn is a hot dog. ;)

#39 OFFLINE   Bushwacr

Bushwacr

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:37 PM

The output out of Tversity has been better but its a what you pay for kind of thing to me.

That may be because Tversity uses external decoders (ffdshow and Haali in my case) which are extremely good and versatile.

I think Playon uses its own.

#40 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,549 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:45 PM

I currently use Tversity to stream my media including youtube, I would like however to add Netflix if possible.

This is where I give another nod to PlayON. You can create a username on YouTube, add videos to your favorites...put your Username into PlayON and, instantly, the videos you have "favorited" appear in a simple list on the HR2x.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...