Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PlayOn: Watch Hulu, YouTube, CBS, CNN, ESPN, and Netflix on your TV using your HR20?

• Please log in to reply
568 replies to this topic

#541 OFFLINE   dbronstein

dbronstein

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,058 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:42 AM

I got the native local files to work for video (I had to share the folders), and it does show the widescreen ones in the full widescreen, so that problem is solved. But it won't display any of my pictures. It lists them and then when it tries to grab them it says it can't display them. These are just regular jpg files. Does anyone have any ideas?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#542 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 779 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:22 AM

Is there any way to choose the HD or HQ option for videos from Hulu or Youtube? I was watching a lot of shows off Hulu on my PS3 and they were real good quality. Unfortunately Hulu stopped streaming to the PS3.

#543 OFFLINE   Hutchinshouse

Hutchinshouse

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:11 AM

Is there any way to choose the HD or HQ option for videos from Hulu or Youtube? I was watching a lot of shows off Hulu on my PS3 and they were real good quality. Unfortunately Hulu stopped streaming to the PS3.

Yes, I select the HD version (via youtube on PC), I then add it to my youtube favorites. You’ll now be able to access the HD version via your youtube favorites within the DIRECTV menu.. That's it....

Edited by Hutchinshouse, 06 August 2009 - 09:16 AM.

#544 OFFLINE   trdrjeff

trdrjeff

Icon

• Registered
  • 779 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:47 AM

:goodjob: I'll have to set that up. I only have a Hulu account now.

#545 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,481 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 13 August 2009 - 01:02 PM

PlayOn has updated to a new version:

I received the latest update this afternoon.

Steve

#546 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,481 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 27 August 2009 - 12:16 PM

PlayOn was recently updated again.

The latest version number is 2.59.3524.38

Steve

#547 OFFLINE   mickcris

mickcris

Legend

• Registered
  • 163 posts

Posted 10 September 2009 - 04:57 PM

FYI, this is on sale for $19.99 with code PAX1999. Normal price is $39.99. I just got it today and love it.

http://www.themediam...909/?rsrc=pax09

#548 OFFLINE   TheShanMan

TheShanMan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:43 PM

Just got PlayOn working last night. Working pretty well, but there are several things I'd like to mention:

• Sometimes have to start a video twice (I assume it's timing out) - no big deal but wish that would get fixed.
  • Sometimes in the middle of watching my hr23-700 has changed to a regular channel. I'm not sure yet, but this may coincide with the start of a recording. Haven't seen this problem mentioned, but can someone tell me what's going on here and more importantly, how to prevent it?
  • Especially irritating due to the prior issue: can't fast forward. So if the video gets terminated for any reason you have to start all over again rather than being able to pick up where you left off (wouldn't be so bad if the receiver never prematurely terminates the playback).
  • Haven't been able to get the built in local media feature to work yet with photos. It just says there are none.
  • Wish I could record a streaming video. Any chance of this ever happening?

BTW, I have PlayOn running on Windows 2003 Server x64.

#549 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:47 PM

FYI, this is on sale for $19.99 with code PAX1999. Normal price is $39.99. I just got it today and love it.

http://www.themediam...909/?rsrc=pax09

I wasn't willing to drop the $40 on this, but @ 1/2 the price it's definitely worth my hard earned green bax.

I still can't get Youtube HD to work though. Another poster said to download a HD vid then save to your favorites and that doesn't seem to work. Why can't youtube just have it default to "HD"?!?!?!? If one doesn't have the bandwidth then user can toggle it down to Normal/SD.
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#550 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:14 PM

Not sure what happened but suddenly last week about Thu, Hulu stopped working.

I click on a video, in this case a Pink Panther cartoon and it brings up the error box that it cannot access the media. I have tried rebooting the server and the DSL modem, router and the DVR. Nothing works. I have changed nothing at this end from when it was working to now when it is not.

I am really thinking at this point it's something at Hulu's end or a Play On bug but I don't know for certain. Just updated Play On this afternoon with the latest patch. Haven't tried Hulu again since so I am hoping maybe it will be back to working again.

Overall I really enjoy Play On.

Melody

In Loving Memory Of Manda 8/31/2004-12/29/2008

HR24-100/S-Video/Mitsu SDTV
HR24-100*
HR24-500*
*both hooked HDMI to same Sony Bravia XBR 9

#551 OFFLINE   texasmoose

texasmoose

Icon

• Registered
  • 677 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:17 PM

ever since my HR20 updated its firmware to 0x34c, playon no longer works for my "NetFlix Instant queue" it still works on youtube and my local files, i haven't tried the others of late to see if they work or not.
HR34-700(leased)
HR24-100 x 2(1 leased, 1 owned)
Fios QIP7232 hd-dvr

#552 OFFLINE   psweig

psweig

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 02:40 PM

Not sure what happened but suddenly last week about Thu, Hulu stopped working.

I click on a video, in this case a Pink Panther cartoon and it brings up the error box that it cannot access the media. I have tried rebooting the server and the DSL modem, router and the DVR. Nothing works. I have changed nothing at this end from when it was working to now when it is not.

I am really thinking at this point it's something at Hulu's end or a Play On bug but I don't know for certain. Just updated Play On this afternoon with the latest patch. Haven't tried Hulu again since so I am hoping maybe it will be back to working again.

Overall I really enjoy Play On.

Melody, do you try everything twice? :D I find that if I try again after this message, it works. (Timing problem?)
Antique
HR20-700, HR20-100, HR23-700 (passed away, hard drive in lieu of flowers), Panasonic TC-32LX85, Two receivers HDMI (Toslink audio to Sherwood R7502 7.1 A/V Receiver in living room). One receiver component.
Wired network, from Dell 530S, 2.2Dual, 3gig mem, vod enabled, AT&T 2WIRE Broadband Router in computer room. 3 mgbit download speed.
Three composite hookups to RCA RF modulator to 20" Toshiba SD TV in bedroom and 13" Samsung TV in computer room.
Added blu-ray panasonic xmas 2008, added D-link switch in living room, Roku player, March 2009.

#553 OFFLINE   MercurialIN

MercurialIN

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:07 PM

Melody, do you try everything twice? :D I find that if I try again after this message, it works. (Timing problem?)

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes I generally click on it about half a dozen times before I give up. Guess I'm a glutton for punishment. But still no luck :(

Melody

In Loving Memory Of Manda 8/31/2004-12/29/2008

HR24-100/S-Video/Mitsu SDTV
HR24-100*
HR24-500*
*both hooked HDMI to same Sony Bravia XBR 9

#554 OFFLINE   elbyj

elbyj

Godfather

• Registered
  • 270 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 11:12 AM

We really like the features in using Play On with our receiver. It has been great when we have missed the first show of a new series and Hulu has it on file for us. However, we are having a problem using Play On with the 21/700 in that we need a means (other than a reboot) to clean the buffers (or whereever the junk files end up on the receiver). In doing searches on the various websites we can access through Play On and all the retries in getting a file to start up, the buffers or memory really get full fast and when we return to normal viewing, it takes for ever to change a channel or even view the guide. We can return to normal by doing a soft reboot, but we all know how long a reboot takes!

Any ideas of fixing the problems or giving us a capability to clean the disk from all the files utilized with Play On?

#555 OFFLINE   tivoboy

tivoboy

Legend

• Registered
  • 134 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 06:05 AM

Sweet, netflix will now be coming to the PS3, now if only HULU would get onboard with it!

#556 OFFLINE   Mockenrue

Mockenrue

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 12:55 PM

I have an HR20, and PlayOn almost never works for me. Most often, it appears to launch but all you see is flickering garbage pixels. Anyone else getting this? Sometimes I get a can't access media message. Once in a while, I can get Hulu or ESPN to work, but never Netflix.

FYI: streaming for all of the above works fine on my PS3 when I connect it to the same wireless bridge used by the HR20. I'd prefer to use the DirecTV box because it's quieter and works with my remote.

#557 OFFLINE   redfiver

redfiver

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 560 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 01:45 PM

I consistently have a problem with "can't access media" messages on my HR20 to PlayOn. So much so I've pretty much given up on it. I get Netflix streaming through my XBOX 360, so I'm set there. The interface is better on the XBOX 360 for netflix anyway, I wish it would come natively to the HR20 (yeah right!). I get the can't access media message with just about every service on PlayOn. It used to work sometimes, now it rarely works. Even though I haven't changed anything. Maybe I need to upgrade PlayOn. :(
Outside: Slimline AU-9, SWM-8

Inside: HR20(2), H20-100(1), Sony SAT-T60(1), Sony Bravia 55" LCD HDTV, Onkyo Receiver with HDMI Switching, Wii

#558 OFFLINE   The Spud

The Spud

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 01:42 PM

There have been some issues with Netflix not working properly with Playon for about a month. The current Playon version number is 2.59.3584. Any version earlier than 2.59.3548 will not work.

I did a clean install/upgrade to Windows 7 on Monday and reinstalled Playon and now Netflix works fine on my HR21-700.

#559 OFFLINE   CraigT1

CraigT1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 November 2009 - 10:10 AM

I'm trying the Playon trial and a trial of Netflix and it works quite nicely but I have noticed occasional stutters(6mbps download speed). The biggest issue I have though is that I can pause but am unable to rewind or fast forward. Does anybody know if the Roku or XBox have this same limitation or is this going to be improved using Playon and the HR20? Thanks.

Craig T

#560 OFFLINE   CraigT1

CraigT1

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 09:48 AM

I ended up getting a Roku- MUCH better(using Netflix). :-)

Craig T

Protected By... spam firewall...And...