Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PlayOn: Watch Hulu, YouTube, CBS, CNN, ESPN, and Netflix on your TV using your HR20?

• Please log in to reply
568 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:10 PM

Sorry didn't meant to insinuate that. I have not gotten either of those things to happen. I strictly meant that for now PlayOn due to its simplicity on the front end has limited potential. Tversity however due to its complexity throughout allows for you to sample more diverse fare.

So to that effect PlayOn is a hot dog. ;)

More wishful thinking on my part. I agree that Tversity has a lot of potential, was just hopeing that someone had been able to get it to stream from Netflixs, etc.

Haven't tried Playon yet. I did download it , so just a matter of time before I try it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a report that said the typical symptoms of stress were eating too much, drinking too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Who are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011
now with Verizon FIOS and loving the faster DVR and being able to use both the external & internal drives at the same time

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:09 PM

As geeky as I am Tversity really confused me to be honest. But then again I'm not all that big into streaming content to my DVRs at this time.

PlayOn so far has been great because even my mom could install it and get it going and I don't care about streaming music, photos or movies from my PC. But streaming from Hulu and Netflix are the 2 big things I can really use.

Both products are good and fill a niche for different people.

#43 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:21 PM

How long before there's enough content available through PlayOn and other net sources that we don't need to pay $100+ month?

#44 OFFLINE   Bushwacr

Bushwacr

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:23 PM

More wishful thinking on my part. I agree that Tversity has a lot of potential, was just hopeing that someone had been able to get it to stream from Netflixs, etc.

Haven't tried Playon yet. I did download it , so just a matter of time before I try it.

Be aware: Netflix is imposing Silverlight on people. PlayOn doesn't yet work with the Silverlight player since Netflix is still running its own Silverlight Beta.

#45 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:30 PM

How long before there's enough content available through PlayOn and other net sources that we don't need to pay $100+ month?

That will be awhile. Broadband connections haven't been extended into much of the country.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a report that said the typical symptoms of stress were eating too much, drinking too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Who are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011
now with Verizon FIOS and loving the faster DVR and being able to use both the external & internal drives at the same time

#46 OFFLINE   Bushwacr

Bushwacr

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 03:32 PM

Getting close as I see it. If it weren't for NFL ST and the HOA deal we have I wouldn't need D*. We get 99% of our content OTA, Netflix, Tversity and now Playon.

And the HOA is considering dropping D* so I'll have to find another way to get football. But we need challenges.

#47 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:41 PM

When you guys talk about CBS, what are you seeing, a live local station or just selected shows that they offer? If it is live what city is it from?

Thanks.

#48 OFFLINE   Bushwacr

Bushwacr

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:49 PM

When you guys talk about CBS, what are you seeing, a live local station or just selected shows that they offer? If it is live what city is it from?

Thanks.

Selected shows.

Current shows seem to be clips instead of full episodes. Classics and other less current are episodes.

Example I can't find a full episode of the Mentalist but I see they have full episodes of NCIS and the Unit. Basically it's CBS.com on the fly.

#49 OFFLINE   dreadlk

dreadlk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:55 PM

Thanks, I guess I was hoping for too much, it would have been nice to have another cities local cbs :)

#50 OFFLINE   donjuan2007

donjuan2007

AllStar

• Registered
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:56 PM

There is a problem with my computer if I install that software, my fan front the CPU will keep going with out stopping after unistall the software it stops, any body with this problem.

Selected shows.

Current shows seem to be clips instead of full episodes. Classics and other less current are episodes.

Example I can't find a full episode of the Mentalist but I see they have full episodes of NCIS and the Unit. Basically it's CBS.com on the fly.

#51 OFFLINE   94SupraTT

94SupraTT

AllStar

• Registered
  • 95 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:20 PM

This has worked on DIRECTV HD DVRs for some time, and in fact some of our members are working with The Media Mall to further improve it. There are some trickplay issues and some speed issues but it is, as we say, getting better all the time.

Does trickplay work? It hasn't worked for me.
50" P50H401 Plasma / HR20-100
42" TH-42PX80U Plasma / HR10-250 hacked
32" FLM-323B LCD / HR10-250 hacked
DirecTivo SD-DVR40 (160GB/4.0.1b/HMO/etc, etc) - deactivated
DirecTivo R10 - inactive
Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD player

#52 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:42 PM

Thanks.

CBS is a cluttered mess right now. Hulu, on the other hand, has a good sampling a Fox and NBC. As I said...24:Redemption is already up there.

#53 OFFLINE   zoidaloid

zoidaloid

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:01 PM

Install it on your computer, leave the computer on, and if your DVR is networked, you should be able to go to "Music, Photos, and More" in the Menu and see the content menu.

I must not be getting something here. "Music, Photos, and More" on the DVR? I have not seen that on my HR21. Where do I find that?
I am running PlayOn in a Windows/VMWare on my Mac. Tried PlayOn with my PS3 which didn't see Hulu or PC when running. PS3 did see the HR21 though. Any one have "grandmother" instructions for a grandfather type?

#54 OFFLINE   cnmsales

cnmsales

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:33 PM

There is a problem with my computer if I install that software, my fan front the CPU will keep going with out stopping after unistall the software it stops, any body with this problem.

Go to the system check of play on. What does processor speed report? Mine is 1.8 per core and in yellow. It sounds to me like you have a slow processor which is limiting the performance.

#55 OFFLINE   cnmsales

cnmsales

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 08:34 PM

I must not be getting something here. "Music, Photos, and More" on the DVR? I have not seen that on my HR21. Where do I find that?
I am running PlayOn in a Windows/VMWare on my Mac. Tried PlayOn with my PS3 which didn't see Hulu or PC when running. PS3 did see the HR21 though. Any one have "grandmother" instructions for a grandfather type?

Is your HR networked? Have you ran the internet test to see if it shows as connected?

#56 OFFLINE   zoidaloid

zoidaloid

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:06 PM

Is your HR networked? Have you ran the internet test to see if it shows as connected?

Computer, PS3, HR21 all on same 8 port router w/ cable modem.
In PlayOn general settings, Media Server seems to be running. System check show 12.6Mbps. I check password accounts ok!
I'm running VMWare Fusion to run windows on my Mac. I may have issue sharing network connection with the Mac. I'll check to see if I connect second TCP port to use exclusive with Windows.
Maybe McAfee firewall has something to do with it?

Thanks for the input.

#57 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:14 PM

What am I doing wrong? I can't get anything to show up under my Hulu, CBS, or ESPN folder on my HR21. I can get YouTube to work.

#58 OFFLINE   zoidaloid

zoidaloid

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:40 PM

What am I doing wrong? I can't get anything to show up under my Hulu, CBS, or ESPN folder on my HR21. I can get YouTube to work.

Where are these folders on the HR21? How do you find them?

#59 OFFLINE   Phil T

Phil T

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:05 PM

Where are these folders on the HR21? How do you find them?

Mine showed up as an additional PC.

I downloaded and installed tonight and was pleasantly surprised. You Tube and Hulu videos played and looked very good. I am running a wireless Apple Airport Express to a Time Capsule and then to a 2Wire Qwest modem. I really was surprised it worked.

I did have some issues when I ended a video by hitting the back or exit key. The system would get very sluggish. I am not sure if it was a HR21 or PC issue. It seemed that the modem was still streaming. I locked up the HR21 and had to do a red button reset.

I will play with it some more tomorrow.

#60 OFFLINE   zoidaloid

zoidaloid

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 11:54 PM

PlayOn finally showed on my PS3. Used second TCP port on Mac. Work ok on a few test runs.
Still interested where Hulu, Netflix shows on HR21. Do you look in playlist? Guide? Or some where under menu?

spam firewall