Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

PlayOn: Watch Hulu, YouTube, CBS, CNN, ESPN, and Netflix on your TV using your HR20?

• Please log in to reply
568 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   missparker10

missparker10

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:09 AM

Sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find it.

On the HR20, I can get everything working(Netflix, Hulu, Youtube) but can't FF or rewind. I can pause.
Is that how everyone else's is or am I doing something wrong? Keep thinking maybe
I have a setting wrong.

Thanks
"Hope your apple pie was freakin' worth it!"

Equipment - 5 LNB(AT9),
Sharp Aquos LC52D62U 52-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV(connected via HDMI) HR20-700(hardwired to router),
Vizio LCD L32(connected via HDMI) HR20-700(hardwired to router)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#62 OFFLINE   MikeW

MikeW

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,538 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:17 AM

Sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find it.

On the HR20, I can get everything working(Netflix, Hulu, Youtube) but can't FF or rewind. I can pause.
Is that how everyone else's is or am I doing something wrong? Keep thinking maybe
I have a setting wrong.

Thanks

We call this "trick play" and at this time, it is not functioning. It actually may never work, only time will tell.

#63 OFFLINE   missparker10

missparker10

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 12:23 AM

We call this "trick play" and at this time, it is not functioning. It actually may never work, only time will tell.

Thanks for the quick reply, Mike. :) Well, it would be nice to have but I can't complain too much because I do like all the stuff I can access without having to sit at the PC.

Equipment - 5 LNB(AT9),
Sharp Aquos LC52D62U 52-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV(connected via HDMI) HR20-700(hardwired to router),

#64 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 06:49 AM

I tried running PlayOn last night. I was able to play one video then when I picked another video it would tell me the folder was empty.:confused: If I then turned off PlayOn then turned it back on, I was able to play another video. Any ideas what would be causing this? I'm running it on a dual core AMD 4000+ with 4 GB of ram and my connection speed shows in PlayOn as 18.9. I have no problem streaming any videos to the computer.

Any suggestions from those of you having no problems, would be appreciated. This seems to be a good product if I can work out the bugs. I know that the HR20 isn't really one of their supported products.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a report that said the typical symptoms of stress were eating too much, drinking too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Who are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011
now with Verizon FIOS and loving the faster DVR and being able to use both the external & internal drives at the same time

#65 OFFLINE   Elganja

Elganja

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:08 AM

A couple things...

Tversity can play RSS feeds which is essentially what PlayOn is doing... what Tversity cannot do is play DRM protected material, PlayOn can...

Silverlight, it is not being forced on you... it is your choice and netflix will never force you to use it... Many netflix movies don't work on it yet, and the xbox app for netflix would not work anymore... i.e. MS would get pissed

I haven't used it yet on my HR20's, but I have on my ps3 and couldn't be happier... the only knock I have on it is the sound... but i don't expect it to be great when you are streaming stuff...

personally I think it is well worth the 30 bucks to be able to stream Hulu and Netflix
Zinwell WB68
Harmony 890 controlling all units

Sony 52inch XBR3 LCD
-HR20-100

Toshiba 40RV525U
-H23-600

Panasonic-VIERA HDTV-TC-L42U12
-HR20-700

#66 OFFLINE   radamo

radamo

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 07:48 AM

Just installed this last night. Setup is SUPER EASY. Used my PS3 and watched two episodes of the Unit which my DVR screwed up due to the football games running past 7 the last two weeks. Some artifacts and only stereo sound... but for beta software this was exactly what I was looking for. Today I will try the netflix streaming.

I look forward to see what improvements (if any) are made as this software is released.
RA

#67 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:11 AM

When you guys talk about CBS, what are you seeing, a live local station or just selected shows that they offer? If it is live what city is it from?

Thanks.

Basically whatever is on CBS.com So with some shows they have full episodes, others are just clips including behind the scenes stuff.

As a side note, I showed this to my wife last night and she's in love with it. She loved all the behind the scenes clips of her fav CSI type shows and whatnot. I'll spend the $30 on this no problem.

#68 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:20 AM

Where are these folders on the HR21? How do you find them?

Mine showed up as an additional PC.

I downloaded and installed tonight and was pleasantly surprised. You Tube and Hulu videos played and looked very good. I am running a wireless Apple Airport Express to a Time Capsule and then to a 2Wire Qwest modem. I really was surprised it worked.

I did have some issues when I ended a video by hitting the back or exit key. The system would get very sluggish. I am not sure if it was a HR21 or PC issue. It seemed that the modem was still streaming. I locked up the HR21 and had to do a red button reset.

I will play with it some more tomorrow.

Yes, it showed up as an additional PC on my HR21. This morning Hulu had content in it. But, I was not able to mess with it yet. So, I guess it just took some time to populate the information to my HR21. Hopefully I will get to mess around with it tonight.

#69 OFFLINE   mhayes70

mhayes70

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:22 AM

Basically whatever is on CBS.com So with some shows they have full episodes, others are just clips including behind the scenes stuff.

As a side note, I showed this to my wife last night and she's in love with it. She loved all the behind the scenes clips of her fav CSI type shows and whatnot. I'll spend the $30 on this no problem.

I told my wife about it last night and she seemed very excited about this. So, this is something we will use and will be worth $30.00. This is a good thing because see usually doesn't get too excited about this kind of stuff. :lol:

#70 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:36 AM

Installed yesterday and used it last night to watch some youtube videos.

Worked surprisingly well.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#71 OFFLINE   missparker10

missparker10

Legend

• Registered
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 09:13 AM

This was something I wanted to ask but forgot in last post. I do have some audio problems. I can hear it but I get a low crackling sort of noise under the Hulu videos I watch. And some Netflix. Is this just a beta problem? Anyone else have this problem? How did you resolve it, if you did?

Thanks

Equipment - 5 LNB(AT9),

#72 OFFLINE   daveriv

daveriv

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:03 PM

I tried running PlayOn last night. I was able to play one video then when I picked another video it would tell me the folder was empty.:confused: If I then turned off PlayOn then turned it back on, I was able to play another video. Any ideas what would be causing this? I'm running it on a dual core AMD 4000+ with 4 GB of ram and my connection speed shows in PlayOn as 18.9. I have no problem streaming any videos to the computer.

Any suggestions from those of you having no problems, would be appreciated. This seems to be a good product if I can work out the bugs. I know that the HR20 isn't really one of their supported products.

I had the same problem with my HR20-700. However, I didn't have these issues with my PS3. On the PS3 it works flawlessly. Same thing for me with WMP and sharing Music/Photos - can't get it to work well on HR20 if at all, but on PS3 it's a slam dunk.
AT-9, WB6x8 multiswitch

(1) HR20-700, HDMI, Native on, Samsung HL-S6187W, Networked (wired), OTA via Stealthtenna
(1) R22-100, HDMI, Networked (wired), Native on, Samsung 32" LCD
(1) H21, HDMI, Networked (wired), LG 42" LCD
(1) R15-300
(1) Harmony 880 Remote
(1) PS3

#73 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,415 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:19 PM

Downloaded and installed PlayOn last night.
YouTube and ESPN videos work just fine.
When I try playback of Hulu and CBS videos,I get the following message everytime: There are no playable files in this folder.
I did not attempt anything with Netflix,no account with them,yet.

Steve

#74 OFFLINE   bobvick1983

bobvick1983

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNW Alabama

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:23 PM

When I try playback of Hulu and CBS videos,I get the following message everytime: There are no playable files in this folder.
I did not attempt anything with Netflix,no account with them,yet.

I get that every time with the Hulu and CBS as well. I have not tried ESPN or YouTube since there wasnt anything I wanted on there, but I will give them a shot.

#75 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,415 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:31 PM

I get that every time with the Hulu and CBS as well. I have not tried ESPN or YouTube since there wasnt anything I wanted on there, but I will give them a shot.

In regards to YouTube,I had to sign in and add videos to my Favorites list on their site.
It appears that ESPN's content is open to anyone who wants to view it.

Steve

#76 OFFLINE   bobvick1983

bobvick1983

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNW Alabama

Posted 26 November 2008 - 01:34 PM

In regards to YouTube,I had to sign in and add videos to my Favorites list on their site.

I was able to browse through YouTube's top videos, I did not have to join or log in. I could view the ESPN content as well. I do not know what the problem is.

#77 OFFLINE   coacho

coacho

Legend

• Registered
  • 140 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:14 PM

Thanks Cnmsales!
HR10-250 (2)
HR20-700 (2)
HR20-100 (1)
Sammy 61inch

#78 OFFLINE   Bushwacr

Bushwacr

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:37 PM

You should see a standard set of You Tube Groups like "Top Rated", "Most Recent", "Most Discussed", etc. as well as your personal content if you have an account and provide your name/pw in PlayOn.

If you have an account in Playon for You Tube it will then list Playlists, Favorites and Subscriptions.

PlayOn will not list any YouTube video which is not "embeddable" by the uploader.

#79 OFFLINE   Bushwacr

Bushwacr

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 02:41 PM

Are you running the current version? It is 2.58.3239.4486.

IIRC There was a problem like this sometime back but it was fixed.

#80 OFFLINE   Bushwacr

Bushwacr

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 03:07 PM

A couple things...

Tversity can play RSS feeds which is essentially what PlayOn is doing... what Tversity cannot do is play DRM protected material, PlayOn can...

You will get different results from the rss feed in Tversity and Playon which uses the YouTube API. Notably you can stream "unembedable" content in Tversity and not Playon. Yahoo Pipes give even a different answer, especially on Subscriptions.

A couple things...
Silverlight, it is not being forced on you... it is your choice and netflix will never force you to use it... Many netflix movies don't work on it yet, and the xbox app for netflix would not work anymore... i.e. MS would get pissed

Maybe this should be clarified. If you CURRENTLY use the Media Player for Netflix you CAN opt-in to the Silverlight Beta but you cannot opt out if it doesn't work. That's per the Netflix Opt-in agreement.

If you are signing up I'm not sure. There is at least one user on the Playon board who called Netflix before signup and was told he/she/it could only get the Silverlight Player when it downloaded. Maybe the user and Netflix rep were wrong. The Netflix site is moot on the point.

The important thing is that Playon doesn't work with Silverlight yet.

spam firewall