Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Car XM

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   wxguy

wxguy

AllStar

• Registered
  • 88 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 10:08 AM

My daughter got a new Chevy that has XM in it. We've both used Sirius for year but always had the portable units, so the look/feel of an indash system appealed to her.

When she asked about a lifetime sub for the XM she was told the transfer only applied to portable units--buy a new car in 4 years with XM and you have to get a new full priced subscription. Has anyone else tried this.

I don't understand why a Sirius/XM company doesn't operate seamlessly. This is just as weird as Sprint/Nextel merger where they still don't have a seamless operation and it has been a few years.

Seems like you should be able to lifetime a system and add units no matter which brand of satellite receiver you have. Makes me think I should sell my SIRI stock except I can't afford to take the loss. Really poor thinking at the marketing level.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:38 PM

The original Sirius lifetime subscription works this way, too. While you could subscribe a receiver built into a vehicle, you cannot transfer it from that receiver. The reason is that in may cases, the receiver came with some number of months of free programming. There are exceptions to this, though, such as if the receiver malfunctions or if it was not installed by an automobile manufacturer or dealer. In my case, I installed my own integrated Sirius receiver (in a BMW) and was told that I could transfer my lifetime subscription from it because of that. I guess we'll see next year when my car lease is up. Of course it's likely I will stay with the same car brand and then I can just take my receiver with me, but if not, I intend to transfer it.

#3 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:56 PM

It has only been a few months since the two companies merged...it takes time to merge corporate cultures, systems, procedures, technology and people...sometimes it never happens and the thing falls apart (TWX/AOL for instance).

#4 OFFLINE   wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:10 PM

Verizon has been around for years. But the former Bell Atlantic still operates apart from the former GTE.

Mergers are often only an external facade. The internals are often still seperate companies.

Stinks, but it is the way it is.

#5 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 09:16 PM

Funny the OP mentioned it, Sprint-Nextel and Sirius-XM, two mergers I wish never took place. Sprint has made some headway in combining the two service on two occasions, first with the PowerSource phones that used Nextel's iDen network for Direct Connect and Sprint's CDMA network for cellular and data. I had one for three days before I sent it back. It looked like a Nextel phone on the outside, but was a Sprint phone on the inside and lacked many features that as a Nextel subscriber for years, I have come to depend on. And now they have QChat.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...