Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Seniors rule

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:13 PM

A stunning Senior Moment…WOW!

A self-important college freshman attending a recent football game took it upon himself to explain to a senior citizen sitting next to him why it was impossible for the older generation to understand his generation.

"You grew up in a different world, actually an almost primitive one", the student said, loud enough for many of those nearby to hear. "The young people of today grew up with television, jet planes, space travel, man walking on the moon. Our space probes have visited Mars. We have nuclear energy, ships, electric and hydrogen cars, cell phones, computers with light-speed processing....and more."

After a brief silence, the senior citizen responded as follows:

"You're right, son. We didn't have those things when we were young........so we invented them. Now, you arrogant little sh*t, what are you doing for the next generation?"

The applause was amazing.......
A.K.A VOS

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dpfaunts

dpfaunts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 01:25 PM

:lol: Too funny. Just last night my wife and I were at McDonald's. Obviously not the likely place to find our next rocket scientist, but I looked around and thought how this young generation seemed doomed. I'm might not be right, and I sure other generations have said the same thing. I'm a you 40 something and look at the achievements between ~1955 and 1985 and say WOW. Why is the SR71 Blackbird still the fastest plane and it's been mothballed over a decade I believe.
Darryle

HR24-100 HDMI Samsung 85687W
HR22-100 Component Samsung HLN4365W
HR21-700 HDMI Vizio SV370XVT
HR20-100 SVID Panasonic CRT
SLIMLINE (SL3) SWM
DirecTV 8/98

#3 OFFLINE   intelisevil

intelisevil

Mentor

• Registered
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:38 PM

:lol: Too funny. Just last night my wife and I were at McDonald's. Obviously not the likely place to find our next rocket scientist, but I looked around and thought how this young generation seemed doomed. I'm might not be right, and I sure other generations have said the same thing. I'm a you 40 something and look at the achievements between ~1955 and 1985 and say WOW. Why is the SR71 Blackbird still the fastest plane and it's been mothballed over a decade I believe.

The SR71 was designed using a simple slide rule, not a multi-billion dollar super computer!!!

#4 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 02:44 PM

The SR71 was designed using a simple slide rule, not a multi-billion dollar super computer!!!

I'd bet they used more than one, and their "super computer" was Kelly Johnson.
The A12 [predecessor to the YF 12 & SR 71] first flew 50 years ago too.
A.K.A VOS

#5 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:10 PM

the SR71 was a spy plane that was used to spy on russia, and needed to be super super fast to get away, there is nothing faster now because we now spy by satellite.
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 41,614 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 06:21 PM

the SR71 was a spy plane that was used to spy on russia, and needed to be super super fast to get away, there is nothing faster now because we now spy by satellite.

No, there are things that an airplane can still do that SATs can't, but we also haven't seen/heard of the replacement.
The U2 was shot down, so we heard about it.
Have you ever heard of the A12?
President Johnson "released" the SR71.
A.K.A VOS

#7 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,173 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 26 November 2008 - 11:06 AM

My contribution to future generations is our progeny.

Early in their adult life, one of our children was protecting our shores from foreign invasion, another protecting our country from infiltration from the south, while the third was busy creating her own 'home-grown' 'invasion!'

Now that American yout are placing more importance on reaching the third level of the latest video game craze rather than learning the three branches of government, I fear for the future of democracy. :shrug:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#8 OFFLINE   audiomaster

audiomaster

DBSTalk Club Member

• Registered
  • 367 posts

Posted 30 November 2008 - 02:39 PM

[, I fear for the future of democracy. :shrug:[/QUOTE]

The problem is not democracy but that, while we require training or licensing to drive or own a gun, or even serve food to the public, we DO NOT require any kind of intelligence test to vote. My wife spent 14 days working with the local election board on early voting/registration (all at once register and vote same time). You wouldn't believe the stories she told me! Including many students (the polling place was in a student union) who tried to sign up twice using both home and campus addresses! And some others folks who were almost functionally illiterate! But if they had the proper ID to prove residency and age, the law required her to let them register and vote. And the next election, they will already be on the voter list so all they have to do is show up and state thier name and address! No ID is required to be presented at all!

I believe only people who are well informed and have at least a high school education should pick our leaders! You could have on top the ballot 5 simple multi-choice questions about government (similar to immigration tests. If you answer 4 of the 5 right, your vote counts. If not, it doesn't. Let the machine pop up 5 from a list of 50 that has been published with answers in advance in the news.

#9 OFFLINE   Blankman2k5

Blankman2k5

Legend

• Registered
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

[quote name='audiomaster'][, I fear for the future of democracy. :shrug:[/QUOTE]

The problem is not democracy but that, while we require training or licensing to drive or own a gun, or even serve food to the public, we DO NOT require any kind of intelligence test to vote. My wife spent 14 days working with the local election board on early voting/registration (all at once register and vote same time). You wouldn't believe the stories she told me! Including many students (the polling place was in a student union) who tried to sign up twice using both home and campus addresses! And some others folks who were almost functionally illiterate! But if they had the proper ID to prove residency and age, the law required her to let them register and vote. And the next election, they will already be on the voter list so all they have to do is show up and state thier name and address! No ID is required to be presented at all!

I believe only people who are well informed and have at least a high school education should pick our leaders! You could have on top the ballot 5 simple multi-choice questions about government (similar to immigration tests. If you answer 4 of the 5 right, your vote counts. If not, it doesn't. Let the machine pop up 5 from a list of 50 that has been published with answers in advance in the news.[/QUOTE]

I know this post is very old, but I'm relatively new so I hope I get a pass :)... In some respects the asking questions is fair as long as, as posted in your suggestion, the questions are fair and the answers are easily attainable before hand. As long as we don't have issues where certain "people" have more difficult questions to influence elections, we should implement this idea IMMEDIATELY...
GO BUCKS
Respect the sweater-vest

#10 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,822 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:16 AM

I, for one, welcome our now-infantile overlords.

50 years ago, people were saying kids were lazy and wouldn't amount to anything. I bet they were saying the same 100 years ago and further back than that.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#11 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,377 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

If you haven't seen the movie Idiocracy, look for it on TV.
It's about an slightly less than average intelligent soldier who gets volunteered for a deep freeze experiment. He and a hooker are frozen. The program runs out of money and they are left frozen. In the future, they get awakened accidentally. Due to 'smart' people being too busy to have kids, and 'dumb' people breeding like rabbits, the world's IQ has dropped about 50 points. The soldier is now the smartest man in the world.

The movie isn't the greatest in the world, but it certainly makes a statement!

#12 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:12 PM

But did you notice that even in the world of Idiocracy, they had universal "health care" (if you can call it that).
Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#13 ONLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,173 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

Soylent Green

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#14 ONLINE   MysteryMan

MysteryMan

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,515 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:30 PM

I, for one, welcome our now-infantile overlords.

50 years ago, people were saying kids were lazy and wouldn't amount to anything. I bet they were saying the same 100 years ago and further back than that.

Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers......Socrates

DirecTV customer since 1995.

#15 OFFLINE   Marlin Guy

Marlin Guy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,120 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 05:32 AM

We refer to those who lived through the great depression and WWII as "The Greatest Generation".
I would expect that their grandparents referred to them as spoiled and pampered wussies.

Think about it.
They had electric lights, indoor plumbing (many with hot water), automobiles, telephones, radios, tractors, airplanes, and all manner of machinery that made their lives and their work easier than ever before. Their way of living looks primitive to us, but to their grandparents it must have looked like they'd won the lottery.

We're not that different from them. Our kids will think their kids have it easier too. That's just a sign of human progression and achievement.

spam firewall