Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Get Detroit off of Thanksgiving Day NFL

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Msguy

Msguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,572 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 04:12 PM

The NFL needs to use the Flex Scheduling to put a few more meaningful games on Thanksgiving Day. The Dallas vs Seattle matchup is a mismatch this year as well.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 27 November 2008 - 09:54 PM

While I was in the "get Detroit off Thanksgiving Day" camp myself... after a little education on the history of why they have the game... I'm inclined to say it would be unfair to take it away from them since if it weren't for them starting the game on Thanksgiving back in the day (before it even was televised) then it wouldn't be a tradition.

I think the fair compromise has been the NFL Network 3rd game Thanksgiving night, which will not exactly flex based upon the season but will not feature a locked-in team like the two day games do with Detroit and Dallas.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:21 AM

Yes, Dallas invented the Thanksgiving day game, that is why they are America's Team. It is tradition that you watch Detroit get beat while you are eating and Dallas win while you are napping.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#4 OFFLINE   tcusta00

tcusta00

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 08:28 AM

Detroit should auction off their "rights" to the Thanksgiving Day game and use the proceeds to buy some better players. Or coaching. Or pay down the loan on Ford Field so they can afford more of the aforementioned accesories most pro football teams relish. :lol:

#5 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:09 AM

Yes, Dallas invented the Thanksgiving day game, that is why they are America's Team. It is tradition that you watch Detroit get beat while you are eating and Dallas win while you are napping.

Get your story straight. Dallas started to play on Thanksgiving Day in 1966. Detroit started in 1934.

On getting other teams that day, I'm all for it but Detroit is not going to give up OUR tradition. For crying out loud! That's the only thing we have left! :lol: But really :(
Put me down! Put me down! Come on put me down!

Kiva.org

#6 OFFLINE   koji68

koji68

Icon

• Registered
  • 622 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:35 AM

Detroit should auction off their "rights" to the Thanksgiving Day game and use the proceeds to buy some better players. Or coaching. Or pay down the loan on Ford Field so they can afford more of the aforementioned accesories most pro football teams relish. :lol:

Oh, money is not a problem. The Lions is the only money making business that the Fords have now. Even with the crappy teams that we had since ... ever, Ford field has been sold out for all the games since 2002 except 2 this season and they were close to being sold out.

So they have the money, where are the ideas? How can so many good players and coaches come by and stink up the place. They had Jeff Garcia crying! Barry Sanders retired because he saw that there was no way that he could win a SuperBowl with that organization. That tells you something. They were talking that we could get Matt Cassel since he'll be a free agent next year. Run Matt run.
Put me down! Put me down! Come on put me down!

Kiva.org

#7 OFFLINE   dshu82

dshu82

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:46 AM

While there was no way of knowing when the schedules were made, the matchups yesterday were terrible..... had me searching the movie channels for something else to watch.

The Texas and Texas A&M matchup was as advertised too.....
D* customer since 1997

#8 OFFLINE   WoofusMaximus

WoofusMaximus

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:07 AM

I think the fair compromise has been the NFL Network 3rd game Thanksgiving night, which will not exactly flex based upon the season but will not feature a locked-in team like the two day games do with Detroit and Dallas.

True. I think this is OK. There is something to be said for tradition.

FWIW, I did like the Detroit game - if not simply because they are keeping up the fight for the 0-fer season as they should. Plus, the (lack of) performance got me out to take a nice walk earlier before Thanksgiving dinner...

(disclosure: every season I root for at least one team to go 0-fer for the season. I thought Cincinnati was on their way, then they had to screw up and win - and don't get me started on that Miami/Baltimore game last year....)

WoofusMaximus

#9 OFFLINE   bidger

bidger

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:51 AM

All 3 games were turds yesterday, but the Lions were the only home team to get routed. Time for a change IMO.

Ceton 6 tuner eth, Cisco Tuning Adapter 1520, TWC Digital Explorer Pak and Standard cInternet, TiVo HD (upgraded to 500 GB) for OTA,TC-P50U50, SONY NSZ-GT1 BD player and Google TV box, Yamaha RX-V373 A/V receiver, Squeezebox Duet music streaming device

#10 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:58 AM

I'd rather watch the turkey cook in the oven for hours than watch Detroit play a football game on Thanksgiving ! <lol>

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#11 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 28 November 2008 - 03:41 PM

No matter their record, it's Tradition.

Besides, any given Sunday* right?

*with the possible exception of the Lions

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#12 OFFLINE   Supervolcano

Supervolcano

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 03:58 PM

While I was in the "get Detroit off Thanksgiving Day" camp myself... after a little education on the history of why they have the game... I'm inclined to say it would be unfair to take it away from them since if it weren't for them starting the game on Thanksgiving back in the day (before it even was televised) then it wouldn't be a tradition.

Yes, Dallas invented the Thanksgiving day game, that is why they are America's Team.

It's so amusing listening to incorrect facts being tossed around the internet.
:lol:
You guys want to know who REALLY invented Thanksgiving Day pro football?
Check out the pro football hall of fame website.
;)
http://www.profootba...hanksgiving.jsp

Nov. 25, 1920
AKRON PROS 7, Canton Bulldogs 0
Decatur Staleys 6, CHICAGO TIGERS 0
ELYRIA (OH) ATHLETICS* 0, Columbus Panhandles 0
DAYTON TRIANGLES 28, Detroit Heralds 0
CHICAGO BOOSTERS* 27, Hammond Pros 0
All-Tonawanda (NY) 14, ROCHESTER JEFFERSONS 3

The 1920 Decatur Staleys moved from Decatur, IL to Chicago, IL in 1921.
The 1921 Chicago Staleys were renamed as the Chicago Bears in 1922.

The Staleys (Bears) played in the first 14 Thanksgiving Day games (1920-1933), 12 of which were against the Chicago Cardinals (which to this day are the only 2 charter members of the NFL who still exist).

For more about the Decatur Staleys and the Chicago Cardinals.
http://en.wikipedia....i/Chicago_Bears
http://en.wikipedia....izona_Cardinals

Why did Detroit play that 1934 game instead of the Cardinals in the first place?
http://www.detroitli...?cont_id=147421

They were playing the Chicago Bears to decide the champion of the Western Division (and of course Da Bears won).

In summary, if you REALLY want to celebrate a "tradition".

Maybe the Chicago Bears should play the Arizona Cardinals every Thanksgiving, like they did from 1922-1933.

Celebrating AND RENEWING the rivalry of the only 2 charter members left in the NFL seems like a wonderful idea to little ole me.
Click Here to See my Equipment and SWM8 Configuration.
Click Here for My Theories on why we have no shouldn't have DLB yet.
Click Here to Review cbaker's "Long Term (Multiple CE) Bug List".

#13 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:15 PM

Didn't the 'America's Team' BS come from some reporter back in the '70s.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#14 OFFLINE   JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA

N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,140 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 04:19 PM

The Lions and Dallas games should be inter- division games. It will create a better match ups

JACK,

#15 OFFLINE   Rob-NovA

Rob-NovA

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 597 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 05:05 PM

It's one of the biggest reasons why I root against Dallas all year (well, except when they play the Redskins...) And, in the interest of full disclosure, I am a NY Giants fan.
Rob

#16 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,604 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 28 November 2008 - 07:27 PM

but its true....the 3 highest rated super bowls over the last 21 years all included the cowboys....coincidence....i think not.

#17 OFFLINE   Jimmy 440

Jimmy 440

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,665 posts
  • LocationMonmouth County NJ

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:31 PM

When did the Cowboys run for that office ? I didn't vote for them or the Atlanta Braves who made that claim too !

JIMMY

DirecTv 1999
Olevia 42" HD
HR22-100
--------------------
NHL CI
MLB EI

#18 OFFLINE   cdizzy

cdizzy

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 09:52 PM

Dallas and Detroit should just play each other on thanksgiving. That would solve half of the problem. :lol:

HR44-200 Genie

Genie clients X2

HR21-100

DirecTV customer since 2003

#19 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,462 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:50 PM

The 1920 Decatur Staleys moved from Decatur, IL to Chicago, IL in 1921.
The 1921 Chicago Staleys were renamed as the Chicago Bears in 1922.

The Staleys (Bears) played in the first 14 Thanksgiving Day games (1920-1933), 12 of which were against the Chicago Cardinals (which to this day are the only 2 charter members of the NFL who still exist).

For more about the Decatur Staleys and the Chicago Cardinals.
http://en.wikipedia....i/Chicago_Bears
http://en.wikipedia....izona_Cardinals

Why did Detroit play that 1934 game instead of the Cardinals in the first place?
http://www.detroitli...?cont_id=147421

They were playing the Chicago Bears to decide the champion of the Western Division (and of course Da Bears won).

In summary, if you REALLY want to celebrate a "tradition".

Maybe the Chicago Bears should play the Arizona Cardinals every Thanksgiving, like they did from 1922-1933.

Celebrating AND RENEWING the rivalry of the only 2 charter members left in the NFL seems like a wonderful idea to little ole me.

Thanks for the additional history... I think the real measuring stick here is asking vs taking away.

IF the league asked Detroit if they wanted to change things up, and Detroit agreed... then that would be fine.... but I wouldn't be in favor of just taking it away from them.

Sounds like the Chicago/Arizona thing just voluntarily went away and then Detroit established a new history. It's not like Detroit came in and took something away from those other teams.

That said... Maybe the NFL could at least try to get creative every once in a while with the matchups. As one person noted, why not a Dallas vs Detroit matchup sometimes and then they can have a completely different set of teams for the other game.

A Detroit/Chicago game would be a good option to move here too and it would be one that would happen every year anyway and get Chicago back on Thanksgiving. Dallas vs Arizona is on the schedule this year too so that could have happened as well.

There's lots of ways to enhance this thing without taking anything away.

In the meantime, it would be nice if the Detroit ownership/management would get on the stick and turn things around. I miss the good old days where Barry Sanders was around and the game was worth watching even if they lost.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#20 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 10:53 PM

but its true....the 3 highest rated super bowls over the last 21 years all included the cowboys....coincidence....i think not.

And I was an idiot and die hard Cowboys fan for those. Then in 1998 or 1999 I finally woke up and realized what a classless organization they were. Now the team is made up of a bunch of overzealous showboaters like Romo, Owens and that bumbling idiot coach we had here that I couldn't stand. I finally got rid of my Aikman jersey a year or two ago.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

spam firewall