Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Get Detroit off of Thanksgiving Day NFL

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 28 November 2008 - 11:07 PM

All I know is that the Cowboys are THE WORST part of living in Dallas.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   Steve Mehs

Steve Mehs

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 11,499 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:02 AM

I would have guessed the Cowboys fans would have been the worst part.
Friends Don't Let Friends Subscribe To: Verizon Landline, Verizon DSL, Verizon Fios Phone, Verizon Fios Broadband, Verizon Fios TV, Verizon Wireless or Verizion Wireless Mobile Broadband
Keep America Beautiful, Ban Verizon From Your Home!
Down With Verizon!

#23 OFFLINE   SDizzle

SDizzle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,536 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 29 November 2008 - 12:55 PM

Yes, Dallas invented the Thanksgiving day game, that is why they are America's Team. It is tradition that you watch Detroit get beat while you are eating and Dallas win while you are napping.

Well, being you are from TX, you would believe that Dallas started the tradition.....FAR FROM IT. Detroit started playing some 30 YEARS prior! Now, you can say now that Dallas wins while you are napping......you must have forgot the MANY times they didn't.....1-15 and 2-14 seasons....ring a bell? Think like all of the 80's:lol:
HR34-700 (1), HR23-700 (1), HR22-100 (1), HR20-700 (1), HR21-700 (1), HR21-100 (1)
Running a SWM16 with DECA
Retired: HR20-700 (1), HR10-250 (1), R10 (1), DTivo DSR-704 (1), D-10 (4), D-11 (4), R15-500 (4)

#24 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:01 PM

All 3 games were turds yesterday, but the Lions were the only home team to get routed. Time for a change IMO.

maybe they need a turkey drop during half time
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#25 OFFLINE   vurbano

vurbano

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:03 PM

Detroit should auction off their "rights" to the Thanksgiving Day game and use the proceeds to buy some better players. Or coaching. Or pay down the loan on Ford Field so they can afford more of the aforementioned accesories most pro football teams relish. :lol:

You guys are barking up the wrong tree. What has Detroit ever done to even deserve having a franchise in the NFL???? Don't just take thanksgiving away from them, disband that whole fiasco!!!! :lol:
Liberated by FIOS since 6/09

#26 OFFLINE   vurbano

vurbano

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:06 PM

but its true....the 3 highest rated super bowls over the last 21 years all included the cowboys....coincidence....i think not.

Wasnt the last packers /cowboys game the highest rated MNF game?

#27 OFFLINE   SDizzle

SDizzle

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,536 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:08 PM

Thanks for the additional history... I think the real measuring stick here is asking vs taking away.

IF the league asked Detroit if they wanted to change things up, and Detroit agreed... then that would be fine.... but I wouldn't be in favor of just taking it away from them.

Sounds like the Chicago/Arizona thing just voluntarily went away and then Detroit established a new history. It's not like Detroit came in and took something away from those other teams.

That said... Maybe the NFL could at least try to get creative every once in a while with the matchups. As one person noted, why not a Dallas vs Detroit matchup sometimes and then they can have a completely different set of teams for the other game.

A Detroit/Chicago game would be a good option to move here too and it would be one that would happen every year anyway and get Chicago back on Thanksgiving. Dallas vs Arizona is on the schedule this year too so that could have happened as well.

There's lots of ways to enhance this thing without taking anything away.

In the meantime, it would be nice if the Detroit ownership/management would get on the stick and turn things around. I miss the good old days where Barry Sanders was around and the game was worth watching even if they lost.

I agree that Detroit should have the option, not have it taken away. My guess as to why Det/Dal isn't a "tradition" for playing each other every year is that those 2 teamed are rewarded for always playing on Thanksgiving by having a HOME game. And for their fans it is "tradition". I hate watching Detroit EVERY YEAR, and hate Dallas....their fans...and Owens as much as the next smart NFL fan, but both of these teams have earned the right for a home game tradition by playing every year for a longtime.

I think the Lions organization should be the ones to voluntarily give up the game, since they are never contenders and embarrass themselves almost every year.
HR34-700 (1), HR23-700 (1), HR22-100 (1), HR20-700 (1), HR21-700 (1), HR21-100 (1)
Running a SWM16 with DECA
Retired: HR20-700 (1), HR10-250 (1), R10 (1), DTivo DSR-704 (1), D-10 (4), D-11 (4), R15-500 (4)

#28 OFFLINE   vurbano

vurbano

Godfather

• Registered
  • 295 posts

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:47 PM

Now, you can say now that Dallas wins while you are napping......you must have forgot the MANY times they didn't.....1-15 and 2-14 seasons....ring a bell? Think like all of the 80's:lol:

The cowboys only lost 4 Thanksgiving day games in the 80's. So he was right. Dallas did win while you were napping after eating Turkey in the 80's.

#29 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,650 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:52 PM

Wasnt the last packers /cowboys game the highest rated MNF game?

well was the highest sunday nite football game this year.

#30 OFFLINE   HouseBowlrz

HouseBowlrz

Godfather

• Registered
  • 294 posts
  • LocationCentreville, VA

Posted 12 January 2009 - 01:35 PM

It's one of the biggest reasons why I root against Dallas all year ...

I have loathed the Cowboys since they got that "America's Team" label in the early 1970's; the fact that I have been in the Washington area since 1978 puts icing on the proverbial cake.

cheers
Centreville, VA, 20120

DirecTV Subscriber: since January 2000
NFL Sunday Ticket: since 2000 NFL Season
Hughes Series 2 DirecTiVo (modified): October 2003, connected to RCA 27" Standard
DirecTV HR-20 HD-DVR: October 2006, connected to LG 42" Widescreen HD LCD

#31 OFFLINE   Mets82

Mets82

• Registered
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 04:52 PM

I think your messing with traditions. Leave Detroit alone on Thanksgiving. I mean if your team plays Detroit on Turkey Day then you'd want to have them playing on Thanksgiving. Also, a lot of people are eating there Turkey so what does it matter if the game is on. Most of the time the game is just backround noise when you eat.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...