Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Transformers for $9.99

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Did you get Transformers (Blu Ray) for $9.99? (32 member(s) have cast votes)

Did you get Transformers (Blu Ray) for $9.99?

1. Yep, and its sooo kewl! (4 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

2. Nope, too slow, couldn't make it there or already have it or didn't care (28 votes [87.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 87.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:36 PM

This post is just a little bit OT,but not too much. :)
I stopped by two Wal-Mart locations in our area today.They currently have several (20-30) Blu-ray titles priced from $10-$14.99.Some of the titles that I saw in this price range were:
Terminator 2 - $10
Predator - $10
The Road Warrior - $14.99
Young Guns - $10
The Fugitive - $14.99
The Shining - $14.99
Out For Justice - $10
Under Siege 2 - $10
They also had the first 3 Rambo BR's priced at $10 each.

I haven't checked Wal-Mart's site to see if they have dropped their prices yet.These prices were in stores.Thought I would give folks a heads up on the find. :)

I like all of the Pirates of the Caribbean and they are all $19.99 at Best Buy. That beats the box set which is going for $69.99... They also have Cars and Ratatoui (spelling?) for $19.99 and the two disc sets are $45.99 so it is better to buy the seperates at this point.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,379 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:59 PM

I like all of the Pirates of the Caribbean and they are all $19.99 at Best Buy. That beats the box set which is going for $69.99... They also have Cars and Ratatoui (spelling?) for $19.99 and the two disc sets are $45.99 so it is better to buy the seperates at this point.

I have not paid over $17.99 for any Blu ray disk to date....if you really shop, keep track of prices.....paying $20+ is not necessary. It may mean you have to wait or shop around certain titles....but you can get these deals if you look for them.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#28 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:05 PM

I have not paid over $17.99 for any Blu ray disk to date....if you really shop, keep track of prices.....paying $20+ is not necessary. It may mean you have to wait or shop around certain titles....but you can get these deals if you look for them.

I keep telling myself that...I'm waiting, no doubt. I would think that at some point they should rival DVD on price. Time will tell.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#29 OFFLINE   Cholly

Cholly

Old Guys Rule!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,514 posts
  • LocationIndian Trail, NC

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:38 AM

Count me as one who doesn't want to pay over $20 for Blu-ray titles unless they are of lasting interest. I'm going slowly on acquiring new Blu'ray movies, choosing instead to rent them (currently from Blockbuster, but I'v been thinking of joining Netflix).

Charlie
--------------------

Family Room: Samsung UN60F7100 60" LED 3D TV; Samsung  BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray DVD player; Yamaha RX-V663 AVR. Paradigm speakers - Focus fronts, CC170 center, PDR-8 subwoofer, Atom surrounds, ADP rear center; TiVo Roamio Plus DVR, Toshiba HD-A3 HD DVD player.
Bedroom: Vizio 42" 3D TV, Pioneer VSX-521-K AVR, Panasonic 3D DVD player, Energy Take Classic 5.1 speakers, Roku 2 XD, TiVo Premiere, Insignia HD radio tuner, Toshiba HD DVD player

#30 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,298 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:04 PM

I finally got my Amazon order with the $9.99 Blu Transformers today. It was on backorder, but even still that didn't take too long.

While we're on the topic of saving money...

This week at Target they had a deal where if you bought 4 12-pks of Pepsi product ($3.75 per pack) you get a free $5 gift card. I made two different trips (drank a lot of Pepsi this week) and now have $10 in gift cards for Target.

I'm thinking I'll head up there on Tuesday to pick up my Dark Knight Blu from them since no one seems to have it any cheaper than $23.99 and I can cut $10 off that with my gift cards.

These are really free, since I did need the Pepsi!

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#31 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,521 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:24 PM

As someone else mentioned, just look around. Deals can be had. I bought The Pirates Trilogy for $32 last week. Also bought the Die Hard set and Planet Earth for $32 each.

I'm averaging about $14 per Blu Ray disc so far. I did buy Wanted, Prince Caspian and Hancock this week for $19, but I didn't want to wait to watch those particular titles and never found a good pre-order on them.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#32 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,521 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:27 PM

I finally got my Amazon order with the $9.99 Blu Transformers today. It was on backorder, but even still that didn't take too long.

While we're on the topic of saving money...

This week at Target they had a deal where if you bought 4 12-pks of Pepsi product ($3.75 per pack) you get a free $5 gift card. I made two different trips (drank a lot of Pepsi this week) and now have $10 in gift cards for Target.

I'm thinking I'll head up there on Tuesday to pick up my Dark Knight Blu from them since no one seems to have it any cheaper than $23.99 and I can cut $10 off that with my gift cards.

These are really free, since I did need the Pepsi!

It's true the gift cards were free, but I never factor gift cards into the price of a purchase, because those gift cards could be used for something else. Now, it does erase a bit of the sting, but I would still consider that to be $24 spent on that movie (especially if you're tracking that info, which I do).

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#33 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,298 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:45 PM

It's true the gift cards were free, but I never factor gift cards into the price of a purchase, because those gift cards could be used for something else. Now, it does erase a bit of the sting, but I would still consider that to be $24 spent on that movie (especially if you're tracking that info, which I do).

Normally I would treat it as you do... but at the beginning of the week I was completely dry of beverages in my kitchen... so I had to go buy Pepsi anyway... and Target at the time had the best available local deal for the drinks I wanted... so this week I would have bought the Pepsi at the asking price even without the gift cards. So for this week only, the gift cards are like freebies for me since I could just as well have went to the grocery store and bought Pepsi at the same price and not gotten the extra gift cards.

If it weren't for all that, I'd agree with you. For a similar but different note... I was due $20 back from Discover so I redeemed that for a $25 Border's gift card instead of just applying the $20 back to my Discover card balance. BUT since Borders is often higher priced, that "extra" $5 might not be extra... so I plan on waiting for a good sale on something before redeeming that one.

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#34 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,379 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:54 AM

In actuality....my standard practice is to fine the lowest price wherever I can locally (which gives me about 9-10 viable options), and then buy at Best Buy with the price-match option. That gives me my rewards points, and still the lowest prices. On occasion, if there's a special sale whereby no one has a lower price, I'll order from Amazon.

Rule of thumb here on this end is that if I cannot get the BD disk for less than $18, I'll just wait until I can.

Honestly....with about 48-50 BD now...I average paying about $15.50.

#35 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

In actuality....my standard practice is to fine the lowest price wherever I can locally (which gives me about 9-10 viable options), and then buy at Best Buy with the price-match option. That gives me my rewards points, and still the lowest prices. On occasion, if there's a special sale whereby no one has a lower price, I'll order from Amazon.

Rule of thumb here on this end is that if I cannot get the BD disk for less than $18, I'll just wait until I can.

Honestly....with about 48-50 BD now...I average paying about $15.50.

Best Buy will do this eh? Thanks, I'm going to start calling you my Smart Friend Julian now. ;) :P
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#36 OFFLINE   DCSholtis

DCSholtis

Up The Irons!

• Registered
  • 5,775 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:51 PM

And don't forget the Warner Home Video option especially when you can find those discount codes floating around. Even though in some states they tax, sometimes the final price is cheaper than Amazon. Though you need to spend at least $50 for free shipping. There is a code floating around for 20% off plus FREE shipping. it's good till Christmas Day. :D
Dan Sholtis
"The Raiders will be back. I have unshakable confidence, the will to win, and I just know that the fire that burns brightest in this building is the will to win. And we will win. We will win."---Al Davis. Rest In Peace, Al

#37 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,379 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:33 PM

Best Buy will do this eh? Thanks, I'm going to start calling you my Smart Friend Julian now. ;) :P

They've done it for years.......but they'll only match local places...not the Web....

Quite honestly...between Walmart, Fry's, and some other places here....I get some good price-matches, and the BB store almost never even bothers to check anyway...but I'm prepared if they do.....that's a good way to rack up some frequent buyer points there as well.

#38 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 15,624 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:15 PM

They've done it for years.......but they'll only match local places...not the Web....

Quite honestly...between Walmart, Fry's, and some other places here....I get some good price-matches, and the BB store almost never even bothers to check anyway...but I'm prepared if they do.....that's a good way to rack up some frequent buyer points there as well.

Yep, gotta love that.

I just noticed that Transformers is back ordered too at BB. How does that work on back ordered items?
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#39 OFFLINE   AlbertZeroK

AlbertZeroK

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 06:09 AM

No. I have it on HD DVD.
AT9 w/ Splitters & WB616 / SWM5
Living Room: HR21-700 / HR20-100 & 50" Hitachi 1080P Plasma w/ HD-A30 + Playstation 3 = Purple Nation!
Master Bedroom: HR20-700 & 42" Panasonic Plasma
Both Bedrooms: HR20-100 & 42" Panasonic Plasma.

#40 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 32,379 posts

Posted 13 December 2008 - 08:53 AM

Yep, gotta love that.

I just noticed that Transformers is back ordered too at BB. How does that work on back ordered items?

When it comes it...tell them about the price match with whatever you had for a price at that time. I only had to do it once, but they honored it.

I have Transformers on HD DVD and Blu Ray both. The only difference is that the BD audio codecs are a bit newer versions, but the difference in the video in non-existent - they are both stellar.

#41 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,566 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:06 PM

And don't forget the Warner Home Video option especially when you can find those discount codes floating around. Even though in some states they tax, sometimes the final price is cheaper than Amazon. Though you need to spend at least $50 for free shipping. There is a code floating around for 20% off plus FREE shipping. it's good till Christmas Day. :D

Try the following code for the 20% off and free shipping,if you're shopping at WB's site:
MYHOLS
Merry Christmas. :D

Steve

#42 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,566 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:38 PM

Amazon has a "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" Blu-ray discs deal going on at the following link:

http://www.amazon.co...g=blurayhome-20

172 titles are available to choose from.
Offer ends 12/17/08.

Steve

#43 OFFLINE   Steve615

Steve615

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,566 posts
  • LocationMiddle TN area

Posted 13 December 2008 - 02:42 PM

Amazon has a "Buy 2 Get 1 Free" Blu-ray discs deal going on at the following link:

http://www.amazon.co...g=blurayhome-20

172 titles are available to choose from.
Offer ends 12/17/08.

To expand further on this deal,the following link will go to the "All Titles" pages for the Amazon sale.

http://www.amazon.co...ocId=1000318691

Steve

Protected By... spam firewall...And...