Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Pole Spinning in concrete.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   drterb

drterb

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:07 PM

When D* first installed my Slimline this past summer, they needed to mount a new pole since the Slimline requires a 2" diameter pole (I had used a 1 1/2 inch pole with my 3 lnb dish that I self mounted with concrete). I had assumed the installer would properly secure the pole to ensure it was plumb, couldn't move, etc. I came home from work one evening to find my dish pointed 180 degrees in the wrong direction. Someone walking past my dish thought it would be funny to mess with it. :mad: I noticed that the pole could easily be spun in the hole and even be pulled out and pushed back and forth in the hole. Apparently he only dug a 5ft pole 1ft into the ground. I've been dealing with the dish moving all summer and into the fall. I hammered a couple of small screwdrivers and pieces of wood into the hole to help stabilize it. On Saturday, I was at a hardware store for unrelated projects and walked past some 80 pound bags of Quikrete and decided to pick them up to finally mount the pole in concrete.

I was running out of light on Saturday, so I just followed the pole mounting instructions on the back of the Quikrete bag instead of coming on here to get some suggestions. As a result, I didn't add anything to the bottom of the pole to make it non-uniform (i.e. U-bolt, drill a bolt into the bottom). Now the pole spins in the concrete fairly easily and the ground is about to freeze for the winter. Fortunately, it is plumb so I don't have a problem there.

Since I'm an idiot and rushed the project, is there anything I can do to prevent the pole from spinning without cracking up the concrete and repouring?? Would a concrete caulk sealant around the base work?? Or am I screwed for the winter??

I was also thinking of getting another 2" pole and putting it over the top of my 1 1/2" pole and then securing it with bolts so the 2" pole doesn't spin.

Thanks in advance....

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:12 PM

When D* first installed my Slimline this past summer, they needed to mount a new pole since the Slimline requires a 2" diameter pole (I had used a 1 1/2 inch pole with my 3 lnb dish that I self mounted with concrete). I had assumed the installer would properly secure the pole to ensure it was plumb, couldn't move, etc. I came home from work one evening to find my dish pointed 180 degrees in the wrong direction. Someone walking past my dish thought it would be funny to mess with it. :mad: I noticed that the pole could easily be spun in the hole and even be pulled out and pushed back and forth in the hole. Apparently he only dug a 5ft pole 1ft into the ground. I've been dealing with the dish moving all summer and into the fall. I hammered a couple of small screwdrivers and pieces of wood into the hole to help stabilize it. On Saturday, I was at a hardware store for unrelated projects and walked past some 80 pound bags of Quikrete and decided to pick them up to finally mount the pole in concrete.

I was running out of light on Saturday, so I just followed the pole mounting instructions on the back of the Quikrete bag instead of coming on here to get some suggestions. As a result, I didn't add anything to the bottom of the pole to make it non-uniform (i.e. U-bolt, drill a bolt into the bottom). Now the pole spins in the concrete fairly easily and the ground is about to freeze for the winter. Fortunately, it is plumb so I don't have a problem there.

Since I'm an idiot and rushed the project, is there anything I can do to prevent the pole from spinning without cracking up the concrete and repouring?? Would a concrete caulk sealant around the base work?? Or am I screwed for the winter??

I was also thinking of getting another 2" pole and putting it over the top of my 1 1/2" pole and then securing it with bolts so the 2" pole doesn't spin.

Thanks in advance....

chip a groove or slot next to the pole big enough to drive a small spike into the pole, then pour cement into the hole or groove.
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#3 OFFLINE   wolfman730

wolfman730

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 06:24 PM

Thanks in advance....

http://www.solidsign...sp?PROD=SKY1101

With this adapter you should be able to use your old post.

#4 OFFLINE   Nabisco

Nabisco

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 07:10 PM

redo it drill screws and a small plate on the bottom

#5 OFFLINE   LarryFlowers

LarryFlowers

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,290 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

Here is a temporary fix that should hold you over til spring,,, go to Home Depot and get some of the small wooden wedges that are used for leveling cabinets. Put 2 or 3 around the pole to keep it from spinning, just pound them in between the pole and the concrete.

Thanks in advance....

Larry R. Flowers
Winder (Atlanta) GA
Twitter @larryflowers
HR20-700 HR23-700 H24-100
1st DirecTV Receiver Install Nov 1994
i'm a PC Guy

#6 OFFLINE   davring

davring

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,390 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 08:32 PM

You could also thread a Tapcon between the pipe and the concrete, would take some force, but should be quite secure.
HR20-700(2.0TB)>Sony XBR-55HX929
HR20-700>Sony KDL40V2500
OTA RS outdoor ant
Hardwire networked to Cysco Router 6.0 AT&T DSL
MRV enabled
R15-500>Samsung LNT2342H
DirecTV customer since 1997

#7 OFFLINE   jhillestad

jhillestad

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:04 PM

Maybe a make shift guy wire... tap some screws onto the pole put some spikes in the ground and tie them tight with wire so the pole wont spin.....

#8 OFFLINE   stogie5150

stogie5150

Godfather

• Registered
  • 343 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:15 PM

Drill a hole through the pipe just above ground level, put your anti-spin bolt through the pipe, then make yourself a 2X2 feet square concrete form out of 2X6 lumber, dig out a little bit around your existing concrete, put the form around the pipe, and pour the form full of fresh concrete.

I did that for a FTA dish pole and it stopped it from turning. :)

I have attached two pics of a recent c-band pole I did, I didn't have the problem you had, but it will be a good example. What you want it to look like is what I did in the two pics. First one is before, last one is after the form was removed.

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails

• finshed%20birdview.jpg
  • IMG_1709.JPG

Equipment:
Azbox Elite HD FTA receiver, 12 foot Paraclipse C/Ku-band dish.
Vantage 1100s HD FTA Receiver, 8.5 foot Birdview C/Ku dish.
Scanning the skies for FREE TV is my game. :-)

#9 ONLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 11:50 PM

4"or 5" 90deg bracket at base of pole. 2 tapcon screws through one side into the concrete and 2 into the pole. You could do 2 or three for more strength if you want, but one should do the trick.

#10 OFFLINE   drterb

drterb

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 02:53 PM

4"or 5" 90deg bracket at base of pole. 2 tapcon screws through one side into the concrete and 2 into the pole. You could do 2 or three for more strength if you want, but one should do the trick.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I actually thought of this one late last night. I will try using only one, if it needs a second, then I'll add it. I will be doing this on Thursday night. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again....

#11 OFFLINE   satjoe

satjoe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:05 PM

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I actually thought of this one late last night. I will try using only one, if it needs a second, then I'll add it. I will be doing this on Thursday night. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again....

As an installer I use quick set concrete, it has calcuim in it to warm the concrete when you add water this will prevent the concrete from freezing. Now for the pole. No screws needed, they will just rust out. Take a BFG hammer or a vise and put a flat on the bottom of the pole. square peg in a round hole. works perfect every time.

GOOD LUCK

#12 OFFLINE   dpfaunts

dpfaunts

Godfather

• Registered
  • 253 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:16 PM

If you can pull the pole up some gorilla/epoxy glue on the pole and in the hole will work as well. Might be a "quicker" fix
Darryle

HR24-100 HDMI Samsung 85687W
HR22-100 Component Samsung HLN4365W
HR21-700 HDMI Vizio SV370XVT
HR20-100 SVID Panasonic CRT
SLIMLINE (SL3) SWM
DirecTV 8/98

#13 OFFLINE   DJTheC

DJTheC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:01 PM

I use a 3" lag and put a spare footer on one end after drilling through. That end obviously goes in the hole. I usually do more pole mounts than others.

#14 OFFLINE   TigersFanJJ

TigersFanJJ

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 08:58 AM

I use a 3' lag and put a spare footer on one end after drilling through. That end obviously goes in the hole. I usually do more pole mounts than others.

That's one long lag. :lol:

#15 OFFLINE   DJTheC

DJTheC

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:25 AM

That's one long lag. :lol:

Bad keyboard, anywho a 3 footer would help with the spinning, but the hole would have to be bigger.

#16 OFFLINE   bobcamp1

bobcamp1

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:54 AM

Apparently he only dug a 5ft pole 1ft into the ground.

If you are in the state of "WI", one foot isn't nearly deep enough for the frost line. The pole might move during the freezing/thawing of winter. You'll have to deepen the hole in the spring. For now, just check signal levels and realign the dish if necessary.

To prevent pole-spinning, you can drill a hole on the bottom and slide a bolt through it, or just cut off the bottom at an angle.

#17 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:28 PM

If you paid for the pole how about call the installation company and point out the screw up. All this is covered in installation 101.

Joe

Protected By... spam firewall...And...