Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

WGA54G game adapter connection issue

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DGF9600

DGF9600

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

Hello,

I am using the Linksys WGA54G game adapter to wirelessly connect my HR 21 and Blu Ray Player to my router, a Linksys WRT54GS, in separate room. I added a network switch to increase my ethernet connections in my family room. My wireless network is password protected with the WEP 128 security.

I am able to set the game adapter up to connect to the router and have a live internet connection for a period of time, but after a couple of days ( and in the most recent case, less than 24 hours), the game adapter loses connection with the wireless router. I then subsequently lose my DOD download capabilities.

I had this issue before I added the network switch above. At that time, I had the HR 21 to the game adapter to the wireless router.

Does anyone have a solution or similar problem to this issue? I see that other people have used the game adapter successfully, but I don't understand why I keep losing the connection. My internet provider is Comcast, and I am not currently a high usage customer.

Thanks,

David Farmer.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bigshew

bigshew

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:48 AM

I have two of the Linksys game adapters and they show the same symptoms as yours. There doesn't seem to be a regular pattern. Sometimes they'll work fine for 3 months, but sometimes it's only a week. You could put the power supply on a timer and turn it off/on once a day to reset the adapter.

#3 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 09:39 AM

I had a problem with my WGA54G Game Adapter and then replace it with the WGA600N (which by the way Directv sells) and it works FLAWLESSLY!!!

Do you have a Firewall like Norton which may interfere???
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#4 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:38 AM

Hello,

I am using the Linksys WGA54G game adapter to wirelessly connect my HR 21 and Blu Ray Player to my router, a Linksys WRT54GS, in separate room. I added a network switch to increase my ethernet connections in my family room. My wireless network is password protected with the WEP 128 security.

I am able to set the game adapter up to connect to the router and have a live internet connection for a period of time, but after a couple of days ( and in the most recent case, less than 24 hours), the game adapter loses connection with the wireless router. I then subsequently lose my DOD download capabilities.

I had this issue before I added the network switch above. At that time, I had the HR 21 to the game adapter to the wireless router.

Does anyone have a solution or similar problem to this issue? I see that other people have used the game adapter successfully, but I don't understand why I keep losing the connection. My internet provider is Comcast, and I am not currently a high usage customer.

Thanks,

David Farmer.

If you really installed a 'switch' and not a hub, make sure that the switch is not shutting the port off due to the heavy network traffic of the DoD. Many times the switches will have security profiles in them that will interpret extremely heavy traffic as a denial of service or other malicious activity and just shut down the offending port to protect the rest of the network.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#5 OFFLINE   Richierich

Richierich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,479 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 03:55 PM

I am going to TRY to setup my WGA54G Game Adapter tomorrow with my HR20-700!!! My Norton Firewall may have been the problem I just don't know at this point!!!
DIRECTV CUSTOMER SINCE 1997
Here's My Setup

#6 OFFLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,513 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:01 PM

WGA600N (which by the way Directv sells) and it works FLAWLESSLY!!!

Do you have a Firewall like Norton which may interfere???

Do they bill you for the order on you’re next DirecTV bill or do you have to pay now?
Thanks

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#7 OFFLINE   satjoe

satjoe

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 07:26 PM

Hello,

Thanks,

David Farmer.

I had a nightmare of a service call once. The wireless connection kept dropping out randomly. I was beating my head off the desk trying to ignore the customers irritating teenage daughter yaking away on the phone then it hit me 2.4 GHZ. Cordless phone and wireless running in the same frequency range. DUH!!! I changed transmit channels on the router and everything worked perfect fine.
Could be something simple

Good luck

Protected By... spam firewall...And...