Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

NY Giants Suspend WR Plaxico Burress 4 Games thus Ending his Season

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Captain_Canuck

Captain_Canuck

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 06:49 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3738905

http://sports.espn.g...459789&n8pe6c=2 (Video)

Posted Image

Super Bowl hero Plaxico Burress is done for the year.

The New York Giants fined and suspended Burress on Tuesday for four games -- the rest of the regular season -- after he accidentally shot himself in the right thigh over the weekend at a Manhattan nightclub. The team also placed him on the reserve non-football injury list, which means the wide receiver couldn't come back for playoffs, either.

The team punished Burress a day after he was charged with illegal weapons possession, which carries a penalty of 3½ to 15 years in prison if he's convicted. Burress is due back in court again on March 31, unless he reaches a plea agreement.

Timeline: Plaxico Burress' troubled 2008

Plaxico Burress' troubled season hit a sad low Saturday, when FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer reported the Giants wide receiver accidentally shot himself in the leg. A look at some notable events in his tumultuous 2008:

# June 11: Burress disrupts the first day of Giants minicamp by saying he won't practice until he receives a contract extension.

# Sept. 4: Burress signs a two-year extension shortly before the Giants open their season against the Redskins.

# Sept. 24: Burress is suspended and fined over $235,000 (later reduced to $117,000) for missing a practice and not calling to explain his absence.

# Oct. 24: The NFL fines Burress $45,000 for criticizing officials and throwing a ball into the stands after their Week 7 win over the 49ers.

# Nov. 16: Burress pulls his hamstring in a game against the Ravens, then re-aggravates it a week later against the Cardinals.

# Nov. 28: Burress is declared out for the upcoming game against the Redskins due to the hamstring injury.

# Nov. 29: FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer reports that Burress accidentally shot himself in the leg at a New York nightclub the night before.

# Dec. 1: Burress is charged with two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon following the incident at the nightclub.

# Dec. 2: In response to the charges, the Giants fine and suspend Burress and place him on the non-football injury list, ending his season.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,456 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 08:06 PM

# Dec. 2: In response to the charges, the Giants fine and suspend Burress and place him on the non-football injury list, ending his season.

And perhaps his career, if the Mayor of NY has his way. Bloomberg is very big on gun control, and he wants to see Burress prosecuted to the max NY law allows. The mayor is also unhappy with the hospital for not immediately reporting the gunshot incident to the police, and may be pursuing legal charges against them as well.

Aside from the potential of never being able to play again, I heard Plaxico stands to lose something like $23 million as a result of this incident. About the only good thing that can be said is that he wasn't seriously injured. News footage showed him to be apparently walking without a limp yesterday.

Hopefully Plaxico's unfortunate incident can serve as a lesson to other athletes. As Tony Siragusa said on the siedelines during Sunday's Giants @ Skins game, when he was playing and wanted to go to a club that had to use a metal detector at the door, he would turn around and go home, because he knew he really didn't need to be in a place like that to have a good time.

/steve
/steve

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:11 PM

I'm not anti-Plaxico... but for folks who might be Plaxico-defenders...

Consider what could have happened if when he dropped that gun and it went off it shot someone else instead of himself. Also consider what if you were at that club and had been shot in that hypothetical scenario. Then ask yourself if it would change your feelings about defending him.

I don't like guns myself... but I do support people having the right to a gun, as long as they otherwise follow the law... and even if he had the gun lawfully (which apparently he did not) he still demonstrated quite a bit of carelessness with the way he handled it, something that could have resulted in injury or death to other innocent bystanders.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#4 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,427 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:22 PM

And since non-football injury means no paycheck, this'll cost him about $1M

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#5 ONLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,456 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:19 AM

And since non-football injury means no paycheck, this'll cost him about $1M

More than that. The majority of his contract may be forfeited, because it was mostly incentive-based.

Sportscasters are reporting this morning that the doctor who treated him may lose her license for not reporting gun-shot would treatment. Also there's a question of when the Giants and/or the NFL contacted the police.

/steve
/steve

#6 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,217 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:00 AM

He also shot himself in the foot.

EDIT: He's lucky he didn't shoot his willy off! :eek:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#7 OFFLINE   dhhaines

dhhaines

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 09:11 AM

Idiots who mishandle a gun should be thrown in jail regardless of whether they are a celebrity or not. He had no carry permit and he obviously didn't know how to handle a gun. Typical hoodlum who gives real gun owners a bad rap in the press.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I read a report that said the typical symptoms of stress were eating too much, drinking too much, impulse buying, and driving too fast. Who are they kidding? That's my idea of a perfect day.

Directv 3/1998-9/2011
now with Verizon FIOS and loving the faster DVR and being able to use both the external & internal drives at the same time

#8 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:28 AM

Typical hoodlum who gives real gun owners a bad rap in the press.

Unfortunately, if you let people own guns, you let the hoodlums own guns too ...

:scratchin
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#9 OFFLINE   braven

braven

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 11:33 AM

Unfortunately, if you let people own guns, you let the hoodlums own guns too ...

:scratchin

"Hoodlums" will own guns regardless if it's legal for us law abiding citizens to do so or not.
HR34, HR24, (2) H21's
Whole Home DVR

@I_am_Braven

#10 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,217 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 03 December 2008 - 12:19 PM

It that your way of saying "When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns."

Personally, I hope someone snagged the video and submits it to AFV or posts it on youtube.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#11 OFFLINE   Ira Lacher

Ira Lacher

Icon

• Registered
  • 823 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 03:56 PM

Plaxico Burress may have been a stupid idiot, but by any definition, he was not a lawbreaker before the incident. So by the Supreme Court's definition, he was entitled to own a gun, and a law-abiding citizen who happened to own a gun that was unlicensed--surely he's the only one who does this--discharged the weapon in a dangerous situation.

My point: Why are so many gun injuries and deaths caused by people who have absolutely no criminal history and are therefore entitled to own them? They aren't outlaws, yet they are killing and injuring people.
-- Ira

================================================
"There are no solutions to complex problems" -- Stan Littman, longtime social studies teacher at The Bronx High School of Science

#12 OFFLINE   jclewter79

jclewter79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,827 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:13 PM

I don't know how it is in New York but, I live in Texas and gun carrying is legal here if you have a consealed handgun permit it can be carried on your person consealed. Anybody that is legal to own a gun can carry it consealed in their vehicle without a permit. That being said, only a peace officer can carry a weapon into nightclub in Texas. My guess is that it is at least this strict in NY and most likly more. The moment that he decided to carry his gun into that club he became a felon, plain and simple. He had security people with him, he did not need a gun. He did not care if it was legal or not. But, really I hope they fire him, they don't need him they are 10-1 and he has already missed games for other reasons. He is a destraction and does not deserve the previlge to play in the NFL.
Dish Customer since 12/13/03
Leased 722 DVR (Under contract until 08/02/10?)
(The installer had me sign an exsisting customer 18 month agreement!)
Owned 301 (Purchased at Wal-Mart 12/12/03)

#13 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,461 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:57 PM

My point: Why are so many gun injuries and deaths caused by people who have absolutely no criminal history and are therefore entitled to own them? They aren't outlaws, yet they are killing and injuring people.

Unfortunately this is somewhat faulty logic since EVERY criminal has to first commit a crime before becoming a criminal.

So... all pedophile rapists were once law abiding citizens who "suddenly" became pedophile rapists after that first time. Same goes for murder, robbery, etc. etc.

IF we could accurately predict who will and who will not commit crimes before they ever commit their first crime, then your logic would be helpful. As it stands, logistically you can't commit your first crime as anything but a non-criminal... so I'm not sure where you were going with that statement.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#14 OFFLINE   Captain_Canuck

Captain_Canuck

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:15 AM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3791174

http://sports.espn.g...egoryId=2378529

The bloody pants that Plaxico Burress wore when he accidentally shot himself last month, plus a handgun, a rifle and an assortment of ammunition were seized Tuesday by authorities from the home of the New York Giants receiver.

In addition to a 9-mm handgun, a .30-06-caliber rifle and the ammunition, including a clip for a .45 gun, police also said they recovered the sneakers that Burress wore during the accidental shooting during the three-hour search of the Super Bowl star's Totowa home.

spam firewall