Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI through an electrical outlet

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   4bama

4bama

Godfather

• Registered
  • 276 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 04:44 PM

This article was in a CNET news letter I got today.

"Wireless HDMI" isn't quite here yet besides a couple of expensive options, but Acoustic Research's HDP100 promises the next best thing. The $300 system attempts to turn your electrical wiring into a HDMI conduit, similar to an Ethernet-over-power line adapter. A actual HDMI cable will still provide the best performance, but if you're pressed to avoid the gnarl of wires in a typical home theater setup, the HDP100 may be an option to consider. Read more at CNET.COM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bartendress

bartendress

Godfather

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 05:53 PM

Technically... running HDMI over the powerlines isn't 'wireless'. :D
"Some people are like Slinkys.
Not really good for anything,
but they still bring a smile to your face
when you push them down a flight of stairs." -Anon.

#3 OFFLINE   acnownzu

acnownzu

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:41 AM

Ethernet over power line never really took off, and I doubt this will either. I can't wait till wireless HDMI becomes mainstream though.

#4 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,249 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:20 AM

Wait 'til your power co figures out a way to bill you monthly for this. :sure:

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#5 OFFLINE   Fontano

Fontano

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 333 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:21 AM

I don't know.
Some of these products are good for extreme situations.

But in a LOT of cases, it would be cheaper not necessarily easier to do it via wires.

Sure it might take some time to get done, but you only have to do it once.

#6 OFFLINE   dmspen

dmspen

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 10:26 AM

Samsung has a wirelss 1080p 50in TV out for around 1299. Not bad. Looks like wireless may be closer than we think.

#7 OFFLINE   nostalgiaguru

nostalgiaguru

AllStar

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:25 AM

Ethernet over power line never really took off, and I doubt this will either. I can't wait till wireless HDMI becomes mainstream though.

Say what? They work great, that's how my 722 receives internet.

They're not meant to replace a better connection, they're a niche product for those in unique situations.

#8 OFFLINE   projectorguru

projectorguru

Godfather

• Registered
  • 469 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:52 AM

why are they talkin about a wiring mess? If people would do it the right way, you don't see any wires and its easy to do
DB8 OTA Antenna
Channel master HDDVR CM700pal
PS3
Netflix
NHL Center ICE Live streaming
Sony Surround
Sharp Auquos 32"
Sanyo Z2000 1080P Projector
114" custom paint screen
Onkyo SR-800 Surround

#9 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,382 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 04 December 2008 - 12:15 PM

why are they talkin about a wiring mess? If people would do it the right way, you don't see any wires and its easy to do

Yeah, that sounds good. I had things pretty clean. Then I replaced my 508's with a 612. Then we just had to have a Wii. Now the wires are a mess and after Christmas I'll have to tear everything down and start over to get a clean looking wired install. Or not.:(

#10 OFFLINE   butters

butters

AllStar

• Registered
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 01:23 PM

Yeah, or not! I know how that goes. It all looks good until something gets moved/added/upgraded and then it gradually becomes a sea of chaos. :eek2:

#11 OFFLINE   bartendress

bartendress

Godfather

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:30 PM

Say what? They work great, that's how my 722 receives internet.

They're not meant to replace a better connection, they're a niche product for those in unique situations.

IAWTC: It's nice to have alternatives. As an apartment dweller, my ears perked up when I read the OP. I'm already pushing the envelope with how I've run my wiring from my 1000.2 to my 722. This power line thingy (yes, that is the technical term. LOL) may make it easier to get HDMI signals to the Westy in by bedroom.

#12 OFFLINE   Lee L

Lee L

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:46 AM

This would be cool. Our bedroom TV is wall mounted and the components are in teh closet. When our house was built, the contractor had no way to pre-run HDMI cable in the wall, so they did run 5 RG6 for component and I ended up having them run a couple of Cat 5e cables also, so I could use a converter for HDMI if I ever need to due to MPAA screwing me over with selectable output control. IT will be nice if I have additional options.

DirecTV, please don't make me have to go back to watching March Madness in standard Def! Oh, and the usual begging for AMC and BBC America. You are so close to actually being the HD Leader.

#13 OFFLINE   deltafowler

deltafowler

Duplicate User (Account Closed)

• Banned User
  • 953 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:29 PM

Technically, the article made that distinction already. :rolleyes:

#14 OFFLINE   bartendress

bartendress

Godfather

• Registered
  • 491 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:50 PM

Technically, the article made that distinction already. :rolleyes:

Touche! :goodjob:

#15 OFFLINE   AMD_GAMER

AMD_GAMER

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:17 PM

When I upgraded to HD, I simply ran a 50' HDMI cable from the receiver in the basement to the HDTV on the first floor. As a computer guy, I try to avoid wireless whenever possible. Too much interference and loss of connection. Sure, I could run Wi-Fi on my computers, but I ran CAT5e to get Gigabit. I always prefer a wired connection, unless its impossible.

#16 OFFLINE   wolfjc

wolfjc

Legend

• Registered
  • 217 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 06:26 AM

Yeah, or not! I know how that goes. It all looks good until something gets moved/added/upgraded and then it gradually becomes a sea of chaos. :eek2:

Has any one ever seen under the floor of a mainframe computer center.
In ours there were water pipes for the cooling for IBM's big iron which were not needed anymore. And MILES of dead cables for various I/O devices which had been changed out.
It took us weeks to get it all cleaned up so you could at least see the floor.

#17 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 01:57 PM

It's only "easy to do" if you're using some big honkin' media cabinet to hold everything.

HDMI-over-powerline would be great, for example, when somebody hangs a plasma on the wall, and wants the various devices that feed it hidden somewhere else.

#18 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:53 PM

HDMI-over-powerline would be great, for example, when somebody hangs a plasma on the wall, and wants the various devices that feed it hidden somewhere else.

IMO, this is going to be much like the phone and Ethernet solutions, in that their inherent limitations are going to make them of limited utility.

For example: the flat-panel TV on the wall. Great, so it can use HDMI over the powerline. But what if you have 3 devices to hook up? Well, you can put an HDMI switch in front of the HDMI wireless adapter, and manually switch. Will that be reliable with this system? We don't know yet.

So, let's be even more realisitc: we have 3 source devices, but only 1 of them is HDMI (DirecTV HD-DVR), with another being component (X-Box360), and the last one being composite (Wii). Now you need some kind of processor to convert these various signals to HDMI *and* switch them. So, yeah, a modern $500+ AV receiver can do that, but things are getting exponentially more complicated and costly. At this point, running cables is going to be easier for most people.

Hey, it's always great to have another option; don't get me wrong. But these "cable replacements" never give you everything a cable can do, and are never as reliable.

#19 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:04 PM

IMO, this is going to be much like the phone and Ethernet solutions, in that their inherent limitations are going to make them of limited utility.

For example: the flat-panel TV on the wall. Great, so it can use HDMI over the powerline. But what if you have 3 devices to hook up? Well, you can put an HDMI switch in front of the HDMI wireless adapter, and manually switch. Will that be reliable with this system? We don't know yet.

So, let's be even more realisitc: we have 3 source devices, but only 1 of them is HDMI (DirecTV HD-DVR), with another being component (X-Box360), and the last one being composite (Wii). Now you need some kind of processor to convert these various signals to HDMI *and* switch them. So, yeah, a modern $500+ AV receiver can do that, but things are getting exponentially more complicated and costly. At this point, running cables is going to be easier for most people.

You get a receiver that can do an adequate job of switching multiple sources (including non-HDMI sources) to a single HDMI output.
Whether it's worth it to do that is up to each person, but that's a cost issue, not an ease issue.

BTW, those items are most certainly not "getting exponentially more complicated and costly".
To the contrary, they are getting far more affordable and with greatly improved ease of use.

In any case, the idea that it's somehow easiest to run multiple cables and have the result be cosmetically acceptable seems to be a stretch.
I have no idea if this particular doohickey is worth a hoot, but IMO it's an excellent concept.

#20 OFFLINE   Geronimo

Geronimo

Native American Potentate

• Gold Members
  • 8,295 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:18 AM

That is what the OP and the article said. They called it "the next best thing."
I never cared for all the signatures that insult posters with other points of view.

spam firewall