Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

A couple horrible days as a technician!!!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   avmaster

avmaster

Legend

• Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 02:52 PM

Direct tv tech here, I have been doing this for just over 2 years, I take pride in my workmanship, and I have had very few problems. Until this week!!

First off, about 2 weeks ago I did a simple relocate in a double wide trailer, i had to crawl under it in a cavern of darkness to move the line for them(mistake number one) Appearantly somehow a vent got knocked off or was previously damaged before I got there. They never call me or my office instead an A/C guy comes out and charges the customer $290 for replacing a little section of vent. A simple mistake that could happen to any tech.

The very next day, another customer that I attempted to do a wall fish for 3 weeks ago, I tried to no avail to run this line, spent 1.5 hours in a vaulted ceiling near the edge drilling through numerous layers of studs trying to run the line, I basically told the customer It was next to impossible due to the structure, and left a wall plate in the customers room covering the hole of course with no cable attached, of course the customer was fine with this at the time. Now, this week just one day after the previously mentioned incident they call in and claim I have 'damaged' their wall by putting a wall plate where they wanted the cable run.

Now on top of that, that moring I had bought some small parts from a guy at the shop, in a rush I had tossed them in my truck, when getting my boxes and clipboard for the day I thought I had left those parts on the counter, and took some of the exact same parts that happened to be someone elses. About an hour later I get a call and I am being accused of stealing the parts, when infact I had mistakenly thought they were mine. I said I mistakenly took the parts and would bring them in the next day.

The next morning I come in for work and I do not have a route. They tell me that the boss wants to talk to me, but he is not there, will not answer the phone. Basically I am left in the dark all day as to what the heck is going on. Today I finally get to talk to someone, they are all bent out of shape about the two mentioned 'damage' claims, I have only had 1 damage claim since I started period, and I paid for that out of pocket and to make matters worse they are calling me a THEIF!!! I do not see how mistakenly taking something and bringing it back is "STEALING" I am irate that they dare accuse me of such things, appearantly there has been a rash of stuff coming up missing around the shop and they think just because I mistakenly take $2 worth of parts that makes me the culprit, come on!!!

So here i sit, at home, still do not have a clue what the hell is going on, I go out and I bust my ass trying to make everyone happy, and this is what I get.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:15 PM

Explain what you said here to them. If they don't listen, then you're better off working for someone else. In case things turn out alright, make sure that you are extremely careful with your equipment and supplies, and make sure you DOCUMENT everything! I'm not sure how you note your calls, but you need before and after sign-offs for things like wall-fishes you aren't sure about, and you need to note the results ("attempted wall fish, impossible, covered hole with wallplate") when you close your call.

If you're already doing all that, and they don't support you, move on.

#3 OFFLINE   avmaster

avmaster

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:26 PM

Explain what you said here to them. If they don't listen, then you're better off working for someone else. In case things turn out alright, make sure that you are extremely careful with your equipment and supplies, and make sure you DOCUMENT everything! I'm not sure how you note your calls, but you need before and after sign-offs for things like wall-fishes you aren't sure about, and you need to note the results ("attempted wall fish, impossible, covered hole with wallplate") when you close your call.

If you're already doing all that, and they don't support you, move on.

Yeah, i did all the things necessary to cover myself, for one thing dispatch has been terrible about noting stuff lately, so its possible the notes were not saved. It doesn't matter, someone else wound up getting the wall fish in, how they did it I do not know but the customer is satisfied. The a/c vent, they really can not prove it was me, but then again I can't prove it was not me either. I do think the customer should have called me first since I was the last one down there (I leave my number at every job).

I am just shocked as to how they are treating me after months of them telling me how I am the 'only' one doing his job right. The problem is they can blackball me from working for another contractor in the area, that is my biggest concern but other than that I am already pretty much sold on getting the heck out of there.

It sucks that I had two damage claims in the course of a week, but thats just circumstance. Its not a reflection upon who I am or my integrity. The problem is I have only talked with the guy who pulled my routes for only about 1 mintue from yesterday, he now will not answer the phone or return my calls. I am pretty close to going to the area manager about this. I have hounded everyone else that has any kind of pull at the shop and made my case pretty clear. I am just ready to part ways, these guys can be cool to ya but then turn on you in a second.

#4 OFFLINE   xtreme571

xtreme571

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:46 PM

....I am just ready to part ways, these guys can be cool to ya but then turn on you in a second.

I feel your pain man. I'm not a tech, and do not work in the same industry, but I've had some days like this. When you are bringing company money, everyone loves you, and you make 1 tiny mistake, and all of a sudden no one wants to even listen to you.

Sadly, its the world we live in where our tiny mistakes make us pack up our 5 employee of the year plaques.

Good luck to you.

#5 OFFLINE   avmaster

avmaster

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 03:51 PM

Yeah, i would rather work for someone who cares than someone who is willing to sweep me under the rug because of the tinyest thing.

#6 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:15 PM

What is your deal?

Are you an employee?.........If so. how come you are buying parts?

Are you a contractor? ..........If so. how do your install customers speak to anyone but you?

The AC deal seems like a crock. Without any prior notification or damage claim refuse to pay. Nobody can take money from you without a court action.

The hole in the sheet rock.....happens.......but you charge them to patch the hole. They contracted you to make the attempt. The last wall fish I did that needed wall cuts took two days, a proposal and a contract. In it I stated I would repair necessary cuts and apply one coat of primer to the finished patches with no attempt to match the final paint color.

Finally........GL........General Liability Insurance..........someone must have coverage. That is where these repairs come from, if at all.

How does the manager fit into things? Would he or his company have made money if either of your custom jobs had succeeded.

Joe

#7 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 05:32 PM

Yeah, i did all the things necessary to cover myself, for one thing dispatch has been terrible about noting stuff lately, so its possible the notes were not saved. It doesn't matter, someone else wound up getting the wall fish in, how they did it I do not know but the customer is satisfied. The a/c vent, they really can not prove it was me, but then again I can't prove it was not me either. I do think the customer should have called me first since I was the last one down there (I leave my number at every job).

I am just shocked as to how they are treating me after months of them telling me how I am the 'only' one doing his job right. The problem is they can blackball me from working for another contractor in the area, that is my biggest concern but other than that I am already pretty much sold on getting the heck out of there.

It sucks that I had two damage claims in the course of a week, but thats just circumstance. Its not a reflection upon who I am or my integrity. The problem is I have only talked with the guy who pulled my routes for only about 1 mintue from yesterday, he now will not answer the phone or return my calls. I am pretty close to going to the area manager about this. I have hounded everyone else that has any kind of pull at the shop and made my case pretty clear. I am just ready to part ways, these guys can be cool to ya but then turn on you in a second.

Don"t worry about the "blackball".
These guys are whores........if they need people they will fudge tech numbers, delay negative background info, arrange ride along work for cash. Which manager would ever say, "sorry I can't use you because you were screwed across town and complained?" Apply to work for the competition.
Managers get churned also.

Keep your head down and see how this one rolls.

Good luck,

joe

#8 OFFLINE   avmaster

avmaster

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 06:16 PM

What is your deal?

Are you an employee?.........If so. how come you are buying parts?

Are you a contractor? ..........If so. how do your install customers speak to anyone but you?

The AC deal seems like a crock. Without any prior notification or damage claim refuse to pay. Nobody can take money from you without a court action.

The hole in the sheet rock.....happens.......but you charge them to patch the hole. They contracted you to make the attempt. The last wall fish I did that needed wall cuts took two days, a proposal and a contract. In it I stated I would repair necessary cuts and apply one coat of primer to the finished patches with no attempt to match the final paint color.

Finally........GL........General Liability Insurance..........someone must have coverage. That is where these repairs come from, if at all.

How does the manager fit into things? Would he or his company have made money if either of your custom jobs had succeeded.

Joe

I am a subcontractor

I agree the a/c deal sounds like a croc, A/C guys are notoriously crooks, it was an older couples home, and they should have called me first. I stand behind my work 100% and anything I break I will fix, but I am not going to pay someone $300 for a $20 fix.

The hole in the sheet rock was a hole where the wall plate was going for the customer in the first place, it was in a bathroom with vaulted ceilings, and I told the guy up front there was a chance I would not be able to get it in. The general contractor I work under has a fixed fee for wall fishes, $60, we get $40 of that. This one was way above and beyond any wall fish we would normally do, and honestly its the first one I have ever had to abort. Its not a big deal, but it certainly got blown out of proportion. The guy even had an electrical contractor coming out later that day to install a ceiling fan, I told them to ask them if they could possibly fish it, and to call me later that day. Which of course never happened, I even spoke to the customer a week later because he was confused about something with his DVR, never a mention about the bathroom wall plate.

As for the small parts, a few of the guys usually have stuff for sale when we go in to pick up our jobs, it was seriously such a trivial thing in the first place, and its getting blown way the hell out of proporition.

Obviously there is something going on behind the scenes that they are not telling me. I am thinking someone has it out for me, for whatever reasons. I caught the supervisor in at least 2 - 3 lies the other day, he was the one that finished the wall fish. He claimed that he went up in there and found a hole that was only about 3/4 of an inch deep and I was accused of just being lazy. When in fact the hole was at least 12" deep, through 3 different layers of studs. I burned up a flex bit trying to get through it.

Bottom line is, someone needs to man up and talk to me instead of being the pussys they are being.

#9 OFFLINE   cweave02

cweave02

W4SKO

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:05 PM

Unfortunately, they will probably never admit fault and when you are not working for them, they will start havng repeated complaints. You are really in a better legal position being a contractor than being an employee, because unless you have a written contract, you can be fired for no reason. If they try to 'blackball' you, that may be actionable.
HR21-100, Samsung HLT-5076S (HDMI)
HR21-100, Samsung LN-S4096
H20-700 (x2 in Virginia)

Go TRIBE!

#10 OFFLINE   Getteau

Getteau

Icon

• Registered
  • 805 posts
  • LocationHouston

Posted 04 December 2008 - 07:28 PM

I am thinking someone has it out for me, for whatever reasons. I caught the supervisor in at least 2 - 3 lies the other day, he was the one that finished the wall fish.
<snip>

Bottom line is, someone needs to man up and talk to me instead of being the pussys they are being.

Sounds like you have your answer here. If your supervisor is lying to you, you need to hit the streets and find another company. Could you ever trust him now? Make a preemptive strike before you’re told you’re out of work.

As for why you can't get a hold of anyone, my guess is that they are about to lay a bunch of people off or they are about to kick you to the curb. It sounds like situations I've seen before at numerous companies. All the top guys get really quiet before they drop the axe. That way, they don’t accidentally spill the beans about what’s to come or accidentally make any promises to the affected people. Since you're a contractor, they really don’t owe you any loyalty and are going to look out for their fulltime staff before they start protecting you. I know that sounds really gloomy, but the economy is in the crapper and if they have to make cuts, they are going to start looking for excuses to downsize. You just happened to have a bad week at the wrong time.

Thanks,
Rich

HR44-500 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR24-100 - HDMI to Panasonic TC-50S1 50" Plasma
HR23-700 - HDMI to Insignia 42" Plasma
HR22-100 - HDMI to LG 32" LCD
HR21-700 - WD 1T Green Power drive - HDMI to Toshiba 65HM167 65" rear projection

R22-200 - Component to Insignia 42" Plasma
R15 - svideo to Toshiba 32" tube tv

#11 OFFLINE   terron

terron

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:51 PM

Don't feel too bad about your drywall incident; when one of my grunts was in the attic running 10' of Cat5 for DSL, he decided to come down the fast way and punched a custom hole between the ceiling joists. That cost us about twice as much money as we would have made had he not made that gravitational error.

#12 OFFLINE   thespaceghost

thespaceghost

Legend

• Registered
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:58 AM

I feel your pain. I recently got out of the business. It seemed as if every issue came up, but never at once. It was enough to keep me going but enough to know in the back of my mind that I really needed to get out. I had several issues come up at once in a week's span of time and I took my exit. The chief of the issues was the powers-that-be not being straight forward and being honest.

#13 OFFLINE   jhillestad

jhillestad

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:22 AM

These issues are not just cable/sat issues , they happen to every service tech out there. People love to blame someone else and you are an easy target.

Sorta like fixing someones computer and the next week they blame you because and excel spreadsheet doesnt work right.... its part of the blame game.

In the future make them " sign off " on your work so you have recourse.

#14 OFFLINE   avmaster

avmaster

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:31 PM

yeah, I did nothing wrong with the wall fish job. Just could not complete it. If someone else spent 2 hours doing it and happened to have better tools than me then good for them. Thats the only wall fish I have EVER not been able to do.

To make matters worse is they pulled the job from me, so I lost $175 in labor. Thats a load of ****.

They are just dumbasses, I have more skill than 90% of them up there. They just seem to automatically take the customers side and always let the tech take the fall. Its one thing if a job is just a blow n go sloppy job, but that was not the case, not even close to it. Just an overly a-hole customer that was totally nice until he decided he didn't like looking at the wall plate on his wall 3 weeks later. Problem is, customers act that way all the time, you can NEVER trust them. They will lie out their ass just to get something they want, or just to get something for free, and its always a tech that takes the heat for it.

This was the only job they were pissed at me about, which really is a bunch of bull, they called me in 2 days ago to work and are basically kissing my butt now but i am still looking into other options.

There is a gentlemans agreement between contractors that we cannot just 'jump' to a different company without upper management approval, the rule is you cannot have worked for another one for 30 days.

Losing $175 on a job that I spent 6 hours on really made me irate, and the guy who pulled it says he does that all the time to people if he has to go to anyones job and fix anything for any reason. Basically just him using that as an excuse to put a little extra cash in his pocket IMO.

I told them how I felt about people accusing me of being a theif, I said that if anyone wants to call me a theif they had better man up and say it to my face.

#15 OFFLINE   avmaster

avmaster

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 125 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:39 PM

Don't feel too bad about your drywall incident; when one of my grunts was in the attic running 10' of Cat5 for DSL, he decided to come down the fast way and punched a custom hole between the ceiling joists. That cost us about twice as much money as we would have made had he not made that gravitational error.

Yup, been there done that, on my first day as a matter of fact, cost me $175 out of pocket. That was my only previous damage claim, EVER.

These guys I am working with now, its my 2nd round with them, I jumped ship about 6 months ago to go to work for dish network, the contractor I was working for decided to pull the plug and move out of town, I loved them they were an awesome company to work for but dish just was not keeping us fed. So reluctantly I am back working for the same guys again, and this is what I get lol.

#16 OFFLINE   cweave02

cweave02

W4SKO

• Registered
  • 283 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:39 PM

Wonder if any of the higher-ups are members of this board and saw this thread. That would explain the sudden affection for your derriere
HR21-100, Samsung HLT-5076S (HDMI)
HR21-100, Samsung LN-S4096
H20-700 (x2 in Virginia)

Go TRIBE!

#17 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:38 PM

No, they're very well aware of who their good techs are, and they need those techs, but it is SOP that favored techs (either ones who are friends/party with the boss, or the ones who pay kickbacks) get away with anything, and the "honest" techs get screwed and threatened. That's how they control everyone.

And when one of the bosses does something really bad, they just move him to another town and bring in someone else. But they all learn the same ways to abuse the system and the techs.

spam firewall