Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

No more free installs?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 04 December 2008 - 08:43 PM

I happened to be chatting with a DirecTV CSR today about a billing error and asked about adding a SD DVR to my account. Amazingly, she told me that if I ordered it from DirecTV it would cost $99 plus an additional $99 for a professional installation! Is this true? Ordering an additional receiver always used to include "professional installation" if needed. (at no extra charge)

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:04 PM

I happened to be chatting with a DirecTV CSR today about a billing error and asked about adding a SD DVR to my account. Amazingly, she told me that if I ordered it from DirecTV it would cost $99 plus an additional $99 for a professional installation! Is this true? Ordering an additional receiver always used to include "professional installation" if needed. (at no extra charge)

YUP!

Not only that, by the time the $99.00 is sliced up in various administrative functions there is not enough money left to do your job.

Once in a while the tech will just take a DVR out of the box and connect it. It is then activated and the work is complete. Most of the time the second wire that is required for the SD DVR...to allow it to record while you are watching something else.....has to be run because there is only one cable run in your wall. Sometimes it is not possible to run that wire to the satisfaction of the customer without massive additional charges to hide that wire.

There is replacement technology coming but, it too is expensive and not compatible with earlier (legacy= still working) receivers.

The FREE installation is for the first time connection.

Joe

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 09:47 PM

That changed about 9 months ago. Sending a tech out to work on your house is expensive (even if the tech himself sees little of the money). With all of the up-front costs that DirecTV is already eating, they finally had to standardize an upgrade charge. It's pretty reasonable, actually.

If you don't need an additional switch and can run your own cables, you can lease a receiver from Costco, Circuit City, or Best Buy and not pay the installation fee. If you can't do the work yourself, you'll have to pay to have it done.

#4 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:18 AM

I got a free install on my HR22-100 about a month ago.

I had already run the extra cable, but DirecTV didn't know that when they offered me the free install.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#5 OFFLINE   LameLefty

LameLefty

I used to be a rocket scientist

• Registered
  • 12,085 posts
  • LocationMiddle Tennessee

Posted 05 December 2008 - 07:05 AM

There is replacement technology coming but, it too is expensive and not compatible with earlier (legacy= still working) receivers.

The FREE installation is for the first time connection.

Joe

SWM8's aren't that expensive in the grand scheme of things (and much less so than a year ago). They also have three legacy ports on them to connect older equipment or cascade a Ku-band 3x4 multiswitch off of. I have one of my two R15's running off mine. :)

"Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"
Directv since 1997
Will Work for Beer

#6 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:20 AM

SWM8's aren't that expensive in the grand scheme of things (and much less so than a year ago). They also have three legacy ports on them to connect older equipment or cascade a Ku-band 3x4 multiswitch off of. I have one of my two R15's running off mine. :)

Correct,

The SWM stuff is new, not widely available and the tech training for it is not yet well dispersed. Once installed, as you point out, in the grand scheme of things, not all that expensive. But the initial installation can have as much or more labor or materials than the early 18" rig. If you hire someone to install one now, prepare for a couple hundred bucks for labor and materials.

It is equipment like this that makes the two year commitment a fair exchange for the installation costs.

Joe

#7 OFFLINE   cdizzy

cdizzy

Icon

• Registered
  • 892 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:46 AM

I think that if the new receiver is replacing an old one then they don't require a install. If it's being added then they do.

HR44-200 Genie

Genie clients X2

HR21-100

DirecTV customer since 2003

#8 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:08 AM

I got a free install of an HR21-700 this week. They would not just drop ship it, no matter how many times I told them I didn't need an installer. I told them I didn't need it and that I had no desire to pay for something I didn't need. They said the install was free as was the HD DVR. All I had to do was pay the $19 shippling and swap out an H20-100. I thought the installer would take the H20 after the install. But he left it here, and I'm waiting for a recovery kit.

#9 OFFLINE   clb4g9

clb4g9

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:13 AM

I got a free install of an HR21-700 this week. They would not just drop ship it, no matter how many times I told them I didn't need an installer. I told them I didn't need it and that I had no desire to pay for something I didn't need. They said the install was free as was the HD DVR. All I had to do was pay the $19 shippling and swap out an H20-100. I thought the installer would take the H20 after the install. But he left it here, and I'm waiting for a recovery kit.

Don't hold your breath, lol. I have deactivated probably 6 receivers in the last 2 or 3 years, and I think I actually received the recovery kit twice AT MOST. Usually the box never arrives, and if I want to use the receiver again I just wait a couple of months and then reactivate it.

#10 OFFLINE   paulman182

paulman182

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,836 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:21 AM

Don't hold your breath, lol. I have deactivated probably 6 receivers in the last 2 or 3 years, and I think I actually received the recovery kit twice AT MOST. Usually the box never arrives, and if I want to use the receiver again I just wait a couple of months and then reactivate it.

Same here. I have never received a recovery kit for an upgraded receiver.

Equipment includes a buncha stuff that I no longer have interest in detailing

#11 OFFLINE   mikeinthekeys

mikeinthekeys

Godfather

• Registered
  • 360 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:28 AM

In former days, you didn't lease the box.... you may actually own the H20, therefore they will not ask for it back because it is yours. If you have a "mixed" setup, leased and owned equipment, you can't tell by the bill because the charges are the same. However, if you call, they can research it and tell you about previously used units on your account.
Working hard every day to stay retired!:
D* since 1994 Setup:
Den - H21-200 Sony 34XBR910
LR - HR24-200 Vivitek proj, Vizio SV420SVT
BR - H20 Olevia 26"

#12 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 11:37 AM

That's a replacement, not an additional install, AND it's also an exception since you have an HR10 that is being made obsolete.

As always, these details matter, and you aren't comparing apples to apples.

#13 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:34 PM

In former days, you didn't lease the box.... you may actually own the H20, therefore they will not ask for it back because it is yours. If you have a "mixed" setup, leased and owned equipment, you can't tell by the bill because the charges are the same. However, if you call, they can research it and tell you about previously used units on your account.

The H20s are leased boxes. The H10 that I still have but no longer use was owned along with all the Sony, RCA and Hughes receivers that I have collected over the years.

#14 OFFLINE   Rockaway1836

Rockaway1836

Godfather

• Registered
  • 428 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:36 PM

That's a replacement, not an additional install, AND it's also an exception since you have an HR10 that is being made obsolete.

As always, these details matter, and you aren't comparing apples to apples.

No HR10 in my collection. They gave me an HR21-700. The one that is coming off line is an H20-100 non-dvr

#15 OFFLINE   centralcity

centralcity

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:59 AM

I called a few days ago about an upgrade to HD with DVR. (I presently have to SD DVR's and want to replace one with HD). The CSR said since I hadn't received a new receiver in over a year, she could give me the HD-DVR, new dish, up to 125' cable, professional installation; all for 19.95 handling charge. She charged my account $199, but then immediately credited it back. Installation is set for Wed, 10 Dec, so I'll let you know then.

#16 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:05 PM

I think that if the new receiver is replacing an old one then they don't require a install. If it's being added then they do.

Sort of!

A recorder REQUIRES a second signal for the second tuner. All HD rigs need to address 3 or more of the satellite fleet. It has to be done some how.

DTV may not have note on exactly what equipment ( including ODU=dish) you have.

I have been paid the full installation fee for taking receivers out of the box and activating them. Other jobs took a half a day for $70.00 and I supplied materials. In the long run it was supposed to balance but who knows.

Now that DTV is taking on those costs a little they are paying attention, a little.

Joe

#17 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:30 PM

Actually, you CAN tell by the bill if a receiver is owned or leased....except for the primary receiver on the account which does not get it's own line item.

The other receivers are either listed as "additional receiver" (owned) or "leased receiver" (obviously leased). The charge for either one is $4.99.

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

Protected By... spam firewall...And...