Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Secondary local digital channels

public interest

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Ice Runner

Ice Runner

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:19 PM

In most places, we can get up to 3 or 4 sub-channels over the air on some channels. Here in southeastern Virginia, for example, I can get four channels on the ION channel (49.1, 49.2, 49.3, 49.4) and 4 channels on the PBS channel (15.1, 15.2, 15.3 and 15.4) using my antenna. Is there every any hope that we will be able to get those on DirecTV so that we can record programs on DVR?
HR22-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,999 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 04 December 2008 - 11:21 PM

If you have a HR20 or a AM21 with a HR21/22/23 you can record them using the OTA tuners.

#3 OFFLINE   arxaw

arxaw

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:18 AM

My HR20 DVRs have dual OTA tuners built in. If you need an AM21 to add to your OTA-tunerless DVR, call D* and ask for one.

#4 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:44 AM

As to the original question of whether or not we will ever see them over the satellite, I would guess eventually.

Once the Digital changeover occurs, some channels may be able to be sent over as 480i SD, which is what they already are. Once DirecTV is able to juggle all of the channels around and remove duplicate SD and HD LIL's, it would not surprise me to see them begin to add them in. At least in some of the major markets and with the PBS and networks that use them (ABC NewsNow, NBC Weather+, etc.).

Since DirecTV has the ability to use - channels, I would guess they will just put them in where they would be if you were using OTA.

Just my $.02.

#5 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,876 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:53 AM

As far as subchannels, never say never, but you can feel comfortable saying "not for a while." It remains to be seen whether subchannels are even a viable revenue stream for broadcasters. Many of them have had a tough go of it. PBS and religious stations in my area have come on strong with subchannels; neither has to worry about economic pressures. In the meantime, Tribune's KTLA and GE's KNBC have had problems sustaining enough revenue to keep their subchannels going.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#6 OFFLINE   arxaw

arxaw

Icon

• Registered
  • 609 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:33 AM

... it would not surprise me to see them begin to add them in. At least in some of the major markets and with the PBS and networks that use them (ABC NewsNow, NBC Weather+, etc.).

NBC Weather+ is ending soon.

#7 OFFLINE   miketorse

miketorse

Icon

• Registered
  • 647 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 10:42 AM

I know here in Raleigh during March Madness, the local CBS Station has all the "other" NCAA Tournament games not carried locally on their subchannels. It's wonderful, especially since they are all HD (They also own the Fox station, and use some of their OTA bandwidth to have 4 HD Stations going at one time). That's really one of the only reasons I have a OTA antenna and an AM-21. Basically, I'm seeing for free what I would need to pay for on DirecTV's March Madness package!

#8 OFFLINE   n3ntj

n3ntj

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,706 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 06:10 PM

There are subchannels in our area here that don't show up in the HR-20's guide or OTA setup, so I can't even tune or record these channels with my HR20. I've contacted D* about this a few months ago, but nothing ever happened to fix the problem.

Who else can we contact to get add these extra OTA channels in our IRD's OTA setup and guide?
HD Snob - "Friends Don't Let Friends Watch Cable".
Electrical/RF Engineer & Inspector
DirecTV Equipment: HR24-200, HR24-100, 5LNB Slimline, AM21, SWiM 8 installed (MRV)
HR-2x Configuration: Native OFF. Units OFF when not in use.
TVs: 2 Panasonic Plasma TV's each using HDMI (one 1080p/one 720p)
DirecTV customer since 1998. Plus HD DVR package w/ NHL Center Ice & MLB Extra Innings.
OTA Antenna: Homebrew UHF & VHF antennas w/ 30dB amplifier fed w/ RG-6 Quad-shield coax.

#9 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,999 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:15 PM

There are subchannels in our area here that don't show up in the HR-20's guide or OTA setup, so I can't even tune or record these channels with my HR20. I've contacted D* about this a few months ago, but nothing ever happened to fix the problem.

Who else can we contact to get add these extra OTA channels in our IRD's OTA setup and guide?

Normally they get added when the local station supplies the data to Tribune Media Services. The database at http://www.zap2it.com should reflect the same data as Directv receives.

#10 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 05 December 2008 - 08:48 PM

In most places, we can get up to 3 or 4 sub-channels over the air on some channels. Here in southeastern Virginia, for example, I can get four channels on the ION channel (49.1, 49.2, 49.3, 49.4) and 4 channels on the PBS channel (15.1, 15.2, 15.3 and 15.4) using my antenna. Is there every any hope that we will be able to get those on DirecTV so that we can record programs on DVR?

I hope D* never gets them. The only thing they are good for is messing up the HD PQ.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#11 OFFLINE   JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:10 PM

some of the subs are national and are the same nation wide.

#12 OFFLINE   Glen_D

Glen_D

Legend

• Registered
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:00 PM

As far as subchannels, never say never, but you can feel comfortable saying "not for a while." It remains to be seen whether subchannels are even a viable revenue stream for broadcasters. Many of them have had a tough go of it. PBS and religious stations in my area have come on strong with subchannels; neither has to worry about economic pressures. In the meantime, Tribune's KTLA and GE's KNBC have had problems sustaining enough revenue to keep their subchannels going.

I've been wondering about the viability of these sub-channels for a while, too. In my market, CW and ION aren't digital yet. FOX and MY Network don't have sub-channels. A new sub-channel for the ABC affiliate was supposed to launch next week as a .2 Network affiliate, but that's been delayed until spring. And the CBS affiliate's lone sub-channel that mostly showed local weather radar has been down for more than two months, reportedly due to a major equipment failure.

#13 OFFLINE   GutBomb

GutBomb

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 02:08 PM

I hope D* never gets them. The only thing they are good for is messing up the HD PQ.

They are still there whether directv carries them or not, I don't see why directv not carrying them would improve the situation any.

#14 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 06 December 2008 - 04:11 PM

They are still there whether directv carries them or not, I don't see why directv not carrying them would improve the situation any.

If D* doesn't carry them maybe it will decrease the need for local stations to have them.
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

#15 OFFLINE   ercjncprdtv

ercjncprdtv

Legend

• Registered
  • 162 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 07:52 PM

I agree. I think that the major promoters of the digital switchover are overselling the existence of these channels. A lot of OTA viewers are going to eventually be disappointed.
1002.2 dish with VIP211k receiver

#16 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:05 PM

Not knowing what channels are not showing it is hard to answer your question. Those channels could be low power channels with a very limited viewing area.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

#17 OFFLINE   Jtaylor1

Jtaylor1

Legend

• Registered
  • 193 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:09 AM

NBC Weather+ is ending soon.

WeatherPlus ended on December 1st. Some of the NBC stations' subchannels now airs Weigel Broadcasting's This TV, a channel of old MGM shows and movies including children's programming from Cookie Jar Group (formally DIC Entertainment).

#18 OFFLINE   kc1ih

kc1ih

Legend

• Registered
  • 256 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:51 PM

WeatherPlus ended on December 1st

No it didn't. I'm watching it right now.

#19 OFFLINE   Wisegoat

Wisegoat

Icon

• Registered
  • 803 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

WeatherPlus ended on December 1st.

Not true. WeatherPlus is still on here in SoCal.

#20 OFFLINE   lwilli201

lwilli201

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 05:10 PM

Not true. WeatherPlus is still on here in SoCal.

But it is shutting down.

http://www.broadcast...1&desc=topstory

NBC Universal has a stake in The Weather Channel, so good bye Weather +.
1-HR21-100, 2-HR21-700, 1 w/eSATA, all networked, unsupported MRV. AT9 Dish(110 & 119 disabled) and SWM8.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...