Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Secondary local digital channels

public interest

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:11 PM

NBC Weather+ is ending soon.

Only due to NBC's acquisition of The Weather Channel.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Kansas Zephyr

Kansas Zephyr

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:13 PM

But it is shutting down.

http://www.broadcast...1&desc=topstory

NBC Universal has a stake in The Weather Channel, so good bye Weather +.

Yes, the national part is going away...but local stations can now have 100% local content. So, some NBC affiliates will continue to have a Weather Plus branded local sub-channel.
5 LNB Slimline & SWM-16
SWM1 2 HR20s & HR21 via SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter w/power pass one leg for PI - SWM2 2 HR20s & HR21 after SWS-4 "green label" 4-way splitter
2 HR20-700 Wireless network for DoD
HR20-700 eSATA Vantec NexStar CX w/ 2TB WD20EVDS
HR21-100/AM21 Wireless network for DoD
HR21-100/AM21
With diplexed OTA via an "out" on one SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a Winegard YA 1713 - Channel Master 4228 - Channel Master 7777 in the attic.
Yes, my market has HD LiLs...and I'm still not giving up OTA! No rain-fade, and all sub-channels 24/7/365.
Also, with diplexed Cox Internet on one leg, downstream of a SWS-4 4-way splitter, using a SWS-2 2-way splitter, as a combiner.
R10 via SWM-16 Legacy 1
In boxes HR10-250, HDVR2 & (2) D10-300

#23 OFFLINE   neocharles

neocharles

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:10 PM

My HR20 DVRs have dual OTA tuners built in. If you need an AM21 to add to your OTA-tunerless DVR, call D* and ask for one.

Is this free?
Living Room: HR21-100 via HDMI to Sony KDF-50E2000 Utilizing direct RJ11
Bedroom: H21-100 via Component to Samsung LN32A330
Networked: Yes; Both Units Connected via WGA600N

#24 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:16 AM

I agree. I think that the major promoters of the digital switchover are overselling the existence of these channels. A lot of OTA viewers are going to eventually be disappointed.

Thats because the broadcasters aren't using the channels correctly to gain viewer ship... I think the original intent was to launch multiple networks so that they could more readily compete with cable channels that have more specific programing.. But then all the networks started gobbling up cable networks, and the concept has become more of a niche local programing outlet rather than a national outlet with more mainstream programing (not news stuff)

#25 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:17 AM

As to the original question of whether or not we will ever see them over the satellite, I would guess eventually.

Once the Digital changeover occurs, some channels may be able to be sent over as 480i SD, which is what they already are. Once DirecTV is able to juggle all of the channels around and remove duplicate SD and HD LIL's, it would not surprise me to see them begin to add them in. At least in some of the major markets and with the PBS and networks that use them (ABC NewsNow, NBC Weather+, etc.).

Since DirecTV has the ability to use - channels, I would guess they will just put them in where they would be if you were using OTA.

Just my $.02.

The digital switch over does nothing to free up and bandwidth for additional channels for Directv. It will be years before they are able to use that bandwidth for things other than the current local stations because they have to get everyone off of MPEG-2 equipment first...

#26 OFFLINE   GaryPotter

GaryPotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:51 AM

Thats because the broadcasters aren't using the channels correctly to gain viewer ship... I think the original intent was to launch multiple networks so that they could more readily compete with cable channels that have more specific programing.. But then all the networks started gobbling up cable networks, and the concept has become more of a niche local programing outlet rather than a national outlet with more mainstream programing (not news stuff)

I hear you.

Over in Southeast Asia, they've started using digital TV just like you described, a way of providing more actual programming.

#27 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:10 PM

If I understand the technology correctly, adding sub-channels just carves up the fixed bandwidth a broadcaster has, so it will ultimately decrease the picture quality of the primary channel. So, that local PBS station with 5 or 6 sub-channels is starving the bandwidth available for it's main HD signal.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#28 OFFLINE   mx6bfast

mx6bfast

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,237 posts
  • LocationDelray Beach, FL

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:19 PM

If I understand the technology correctly, adding sub-channels just carves up the fixed bandwidth a broadcaster has, so it will ultimately decrease the picture quality of the primary channel. So, that local PBS station with 5 or 6 sub-channels is starving the bandwidth available for it's main HD signal.

You get an A +. :P
Glory, Glory Man United

My setup with pictures

spam firewall