Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Running Tests on some Indoor Antennas

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Satellite Samurai

Satellite Samurai

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 09:54 AM

I am preparing to run a test on some common indoor antennas. I am using the Digiair Meter, which is a basic RF signal strength meter. Believe me I would use a spectrum analyzer if I had one, but I think for all practical purposes this should be fine.

I am wondering If I should do this test outside, since the building could cause all sorts of reflections and some of these antennas may handle multipath differently.
In either case I know I would need to keep each antenna in the same spot. Using the same cable, if it is not built into the antenna.

I am concenred about the ampflied versus non amplified. Would an amplfied antenna throw off the reading? In other words would one those rediculous 30db Amped indoor antennas register that much higher simply because of the gain?

Any advice on how to make this experiment as sound as possible would be apreciated.

-Samurai

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jim5506

Jim5506

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,439 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:40 PM

Testing indoor antennas is generally useless, for the reasons you state for wanting to do your tests outside.

All indoor circumstances are differentand absent a "standard" indoor set of rooms most test results would be irrelevant, but we can't determine which ones.

Probably best would be to construct a series of facads of various materials and determine the effectiveness of signal reception through these materials, not a small enterprise.

But it sounds like fun, anyway.
Tuners: Hopper 2000; Hopper w/Sling; 3 Joeys; Samsung SIR-T351; Accurian 6000;2 X HD TiVo; 2 X TiVo Series 2 Stand alone; Panasonic Showstopper 2000
Dish 1000.2 @ 110, 119, 129; dish 500 @ 61.5
Antennas - CM4228; RS U75-R; coathanger; Funke PSP.1922 (stillin the box); paperclip
Displays: Sony VPH D50Q with HD Fury HDMI input; Hitachi 57F59; Sony Bravia LCD;Sanyo 32" LCD; Panasonic 42" plasma
Sony 80GB PS3; Toshiba HD-DVD

Give me a Finco colinear array and I'll rule the world - HA-HA-HA-HA!

#3 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 12:41 PM

I am preparing to run a test on some common indoor antennas. I am using the Digiair Meter, which is a basic RF signal strength meter. Believe me I would use a spectrum analyzer if I had one, but I think for all practical purposes this should be fine.

I am wondering If I should do this test outside, since the building could cause all sorts of reflections and some of these antennas may handle multipath differently.
In either case I know I would need to keep each antenna in the same spot. Using the same cable, if it is not built into the antenna.

I am concenred about the ampflied versus non amplified. Would an amplfied antenna throw off the reading? In other words would one those rediculous 30db Amped indoor antennas register that much higher simply because of the gain?

Any advice on how to make this experiment as sound as possible would be apreciated.

-Samurai

Don't bother doing it. Each location is going to bring special circumstances to your test. You already realize indoor vs. outdoor will change the circumstances. Changing the direction the rabbit ears face even moving them 6" higher or lower may change the reception. Is someone standing in front of the rabbit ears, there are so many variables that you really can't make a generalized statement about anyone particular product.

#4 OFFLINE   billcushman

billcushman

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 02:37 PM

See post #52 on page 3 of my OTA Antenna thread below.

Signal strength is not nearly important as the absence of multipath and corrected inverse bit error rate of the ATSC signal in the actual conditions of use. My tests identified antennas that had significant disadvantages affecting performance, and a couple that worked fairly well in one specific set of conditions. Good luck on your testing.

#5 OFFLINE   BillRadio

BillRadio

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 12:18 AM

I think it could be a useful test if you followed some kind of control and comparison. For example, the actual signal indoors would be affected greatly by reflections and absoption, so the antenna should be moved into enough positions to establish a "range" of measurements. Antenna A could show a range of, say, -50 to -75db, Antenna B varies from -55 to -80db, etc. The control would be that the 'range' of highs and lows were measured across the same line of movement.

It's perfect for your own circumstances, but it would be hard to replicate in another environment.

#6 OFFLINE   tvjay

tvjay

Godfather

• Registered
  • 293 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 04:02 PM

How does the meter work? I have been looking for a review but can't seem to find one.
HDTV: Sony Bravia KDL-40W4100
DirecTV Receiver: HR22-100 (manufactured 9/8/09)
DirecTV Dish: AU9-S Slimline

spam firewall