Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

RG6 Cable from the dish LNB

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   DJPellegrino

DJPellegrino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:15 PM

I plan on installing a SWM8 near the dish. I would like to put it in some sort of box mounted to the brick to keep the elements off of it. (Just personal preference)

I will need to cut some of the existing RG6 cable from the Dish's LNB multiswitch to length and install new compression fittings. No problem there however, one of the RG6 lines from the LNB multiswitch is too short and I will need to make another.

My question is, are there any issues with just removing the LNB to gain access to the cable and replace it? Issues such as alignment? What else should I look for in removing the LNB?
Thanks...

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   dshu82

dshu82

Icon

• Registered
  • 682 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:26 PM

Should be no issue. Make sure the rest of your bolts are tight. The LNB is only held on by two small screws, so if dish doesn't move you are good.
D* customer since 1997

#3 OFFLINE   jwd45244

jwd45244

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:26 PM

I plan on installing a SWM8 near the dish. I would like to put it in some sort of box mounted to the brick to keep the elements off of it. (Just personal preference)

I will need to cut some of the existing RG6 cable from the Dish's LNB multiswitch to length and install new compression fittings. No problem there however, one of the RG6 lines from the LNB multiswitch is too short and I will need to make another.

My question is, are there any issues with just removing the LNB to gain access to the cable and replace it? Issues such as alignment? What else should I look for in removing the LNB?
Thanks...

The LNB is attached with 2 screws. Don't loose them and don't bump the LNB arm and you should be just fine.
-- Jim D.
DirecTV sub. since 1998
Slimline w/ SWM LNB---- (mounted on CommDeck) ----> SWM Power Inserter -----> CM4002IFD Diplexer
Winegard OTA Antenna ------------------> CM7777 OTA Amplifier ----------------> CM4002IFD Diplexer
CM4002IFD Diplexer ----> STS-4 splitter ----> HR20-700 - Vizio VO32L, HR20-700 - SDTV, HR21-200 (w/ AM21) - Vizio VX42L, HR21-200 - SDTV; CM4001IFD as splitting diplexer on all legs; All networked

#4 OFFLINE   rkicklighter

rkicklighter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 83 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 03:39 PM

The LNB is attached with 2 screws. Don't loose them and don't bump the LNB arm and you should be just fine.

And they are very easy to lose.......been there, done that!:confused:
D* subscriber since 1994
Slimline with WB68
LR, HR21-700 Networked, HDMI, AM21
Panny PT-56DLX76,Onkyo TX-SR806 w/ all Polk Audio
MBR, HR21-200 Networked, HDMI to 37" Vizio
GBR, Basic SD, Phillips 32" CRT
Tversity for Music and Photos

#5 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:19 PM

Thanks...

full enclosures for swms are not recommended. the SWM is weatherproof, if you do do an enclosure be sure there is plenty of vents
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#6 OFFLINE   DJPellegrino

DJPellegrino

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 04:51 PM

full enclosures for swms are not recommended. the SWM is weatherproof, if you do do an enclosure be sure there is plenty of vents

I assume that is due to heat buildup?, I wanted to enclose in the same enclosure the 2-way splitter. The only way to vent it would be to put holes in the bottom of the enclosure.

#7 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 05 December 2008 - 05:31 PM

I assume that is due to heat buildup?, I wanted to enclose in the same enclosure the 2-way splitter. The only way to vent it would be to put holes in the bottom of the enclosure.

The heat buildup on a swm is horrible
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#8 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

Legend

• Registered
  • 233 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 06:43 AM

If you are worried about keeping the weather off it, i would simply mount it inside some place if possible.

Personally, i have an old panel box mounted in the wall next to my electrical panel box where i keep my muti-switch and my phone and Ethernet hubs. If there would ever come time where i would wanna add swm.. theres room for that in there too:D

I also rigged up a cooling system in there with some little fans to push out the heat if needed:biggthump

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch
Living Room: R16-300
Master Bedroom: D12-500
Kids Bedroom: D12-500

Proudly Non Comcastic since 2007

#9 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:13 AM

Does the SWM8 have to have all four outputs from the LNB connected to work properly?

#10 OFFLINE   terron

terron

AllStar

• Registered
  • 93 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:32 AM

Does the SWM8 have to have all four outputs from the LNB connected to work properly?

yep

#11 OFFLINE   DJPellegrino

DJPellegrino

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 468 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:50 AM

If you are worried about keeping the weather off it, i would simply mount it inside some place if possible.

Personally, i have an old panel box mounted in the wall next to my electrical panel box where i keep my muti-switch and my phone and Ethernet hubs. If there would ever come time where i would wanna add swm.. theres room for that in there too:D

I also rigged up a cooling system in there with some little fans to push out the heat if needed:biggthump

...just personal preference to keep things looking organized and neat.
Mounting inside is not an option in my setup.

I was hoping to find an inexpensive box like the cable companies use.

#12 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,837 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:25 AM

I was hoping to find an inexpensive box like the cable companies use.

You've made a grievously poor assumption that those boxes are inexpensive. The smallest ones run about $60 and when housing devices that generate lots of heat, you need to use larger boxes.

You should not box up the SWM. You should try something else to hide it that doesn't involve enclosing it or otherwise reducing its ability to dissipate heat.

#13 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:42 AM

Putting a SWM inside of an enclosure is going to be expensive, because WHEN it burns out, you'll have to buy a new one (DirecTV won't cover them for residential installs, since they don't supply them for that purpose in the first place.)

An enclosure is just buying trouble that you don't need.

#14 OFFLINE   peano

peano

Icon

• Registered
  • 747 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:49 AM

yep

Thats what I thought. So putting it inside is not an option for me. I have only one RG6 coming in.

spam firewall