Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HDMI Switch ruined my HDMI output?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Bobwhite

Bobwhite

AllStar

• Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:40 AM

Here is what happened does this make sense?

I tried to setup a linksys media center extender to my directv setup, but the ethernet cables were both defective, so it didn't work. In doing so I ran the hdmi cables through a monoprice hdx-401e hdmi splitter. I was able to see my directv signal without problem, but it kept cutting out, because the hdmi cable was a little bit long. So while adjusting my receiver in the stand, it completely lost signal. Now I can't get any hdmi signal at all, I think it bent the hdmi output on the hr21. I switched out my bedroom receiver to this location and everything worked fine on the bedroom receiver, but this receiver gets a black screen that says "check signal cable". The receiver turns on and I have done all the reboot stuff, but I get no signal at all. Just a black screen.

Did the hdmi switch toast the hdmi output, or did I just bend it with the long cable. I'm going to check the s video output and see if the receiver still works at all. I think it will.

I assume all hdmi cables are the same size as far as the plug size. I usually get all mine from monoprice. I'm scared to hookup this switch again if that is the culprit that shorted things out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:45 AM

Most likely the long, heavy cable bent it. Lots of folks use the Monoprice switches, but HDMI connectors are NOT very robust, and the connector in the receiver is only surface-soldiered IIRC.

#3 OFFLINE   Bobwhite

Bobwhite

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 79 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:40 AM

Most likely the long, heavy cable bent it. Lots of folks use the Monoprice switches, but HDMI connectors are NOT very robust, and the connector in the receiver is only surface-soldiered IIRC.

Thank you so much, you confirmed my fears, I bent it because the cable was to long, and the receiver works fine through the s video, so it least it works, but now I need to buy another one.

#4 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:09 PM

Thank you so much, you confirmed my fears, I bent it because the cable was to long, and the receiver works fine through the s video, so it least it works, but now I need to buy another one.

No you don't....

Remember the HR2x series of receivers are typically leased. Call them up and they will send out a replacement for you at a flat 19.99 shipping charge (and they send a recovery kit with prepaid shipping label to return the broken unit). Depending on who you get on the phone, you may even be able to get them to waive the shipping fee to no charge at all.

#5 OFFLINE   Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,399 posts
  • LocationLong Island

Posted 10 December 2008 - 02:26 PM

In order to prevent the same thing from happening to the replacement receiver, you should consider purchasing one of these HDMI Port Savers from Monoprice.

They are short male/female HDMI cables that are meant to relieve the pressure that is put on HDMI ports when using a heavy stiff HDMI cable to connect to the TV. If the HDMI port in the TV is parallel with the screen, rather than being a vertical port, you might want to consider getting one for the TV end of the connection too.

spam firewall