Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Discounted subs?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   pigskins

pigskins

Legend

• Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:39 AM

I read onanother site that XM is offering some seriously discounted subs. Not sure if I am allowed to post a link here to the other site's thread or quote the prices tho.
D* customer since 1996, when new customers had to PAY for equipment

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 09:05 PM

I read onanother site that XM is offering some seriously discounted subs. Not sure if I am allowed to post a link here to the other site's thread or quote the prices tho.

I wouldn't see why DBSTalk would mind you at least just giving prices, if they didn't want you to do a link. DBSTalk is great about giving and getting information :sunsmile: If you feel there may be a problem, just PM one of the Mods and ask what you can post about this. I feel it is something people should know about.

EDIT: I think I remembered something about this issue now. I think you just need to credit the website. Now I don't know where you got your information so I'll just say it was the ABC website. So your post would say that you found the information on the ABC website and then you would post your link. But please check with a Mod because this has been a while back and I could be wrong or things may have changed.

#3 OFFLINE   pigskins

pigskins

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 146 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:26 AM

Well, apparently people are calling and getting 5 months for $20 or a year for $77, just by asking. Some threatened to cancel, others just call and ask for a lower rate. No word on Sirius, and this is XM only, can't get Best of Sirius on top of this rate.
D* customer since 1996, when new customers had to PAY for equipment

#4 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:27 PM

Well, apparently people are calling and getting 5 months for $20 or a year for $77, just by asking. Some threatened to cancel, others just call and ask for a lower rate. No word on Sirius, and this is XM only, can't get Best of Sirius on top of this rate.

I think they are just trying to keep people listening and paying at least something while they try to get things turned around. If they can get something done about the debt, then who knows they may be able to bring some of the programming that people like and was cancelled back.
But the problem is (and I don't say this to talk about anyone because at first I did the very same thing) people are just getting mad and bailing out on Sat. Radio. And that is one bailout that isn't going to help a company :( I think those price are very good indeed :) I think the Sirius side of the company probably didn't get hit as hard with all the cancellations that the XM side has been hit with. Because it was those XM music channels that really got gutted. But I really now believe that cancelling is only going to kill Sat. Radio. They are already under a ton of debt and if subs keep leaving there is no way the company can get things turned around. And I don't like Mel, but I don't believe with subs cancelling right and left and all that debt that there is anyone that would want to come in and try to save the company. I hope I'm wrong about that!

#5 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:01 PM

We bought a new car for my wife back in July and it came with XM installed with a 3-month trial. Since they had merged, I called to ask about "stacking" the XM on my account, but they wouldn't do it. Also, at that time, they had not merged the music channels, and we really likes Sirius better. Since this was a Nissan, I found I could do a direct swap-out for Sirius, so I did. XM calls us several times a week trying to get us to activate the original radio. I've told them at least ten times that I swapped it for Sirius, but they keep calling! They even offered a year at half-price. It does sound like they are desperate for revenue.

#6 OFFLINE   Dolly

Dolly

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:39 PM

We bought a new car for my wife back in July and it came with XM installed with a 3-month trial. Since they had merged, I called to ask about "stacking" the XM on my account, but they wouldn't do it. Also, at that time, they had not merged the music channels, and we really likes Sirius better. Since this was a Nissan, I found I could do a direct swap-out for Sirius, so I did. XM calls us several times a week trying to get us to activate the original radio. I've told them at least ten times that I swapped it for Sirius, but they keep calling! They even offered a year at half-price. It does sound like they are desperate for revenue.

And that shows how crazy this merger really is :rolleyes: Sirius and XM are now SUPPOSED to be ONE company. So it shouldn't bother the XM people that you went with Sirius--it is the same company. Now if you had told them you went back to FM Radio that would be a different story. But it is like XM somehow never got the message about the merger and the fact it was Sirius that did the buying :( XM and Sirius shouldn't be fighting each other now that is only hurting the combined company. And the company should be doing more things to show a combined company. They could at least merge the websites. How much could that cost? It seems to me it would be cheaper to have and run only one website. Sure the website would have to have two different sections, but look how many different sections DBSTalk has. And DBSTalk is a great website :sunsmile:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...