Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What's a router and ethernet adapter???

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ItsMe

ItsMe

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:46 AM

I have a DSL modem connected to my PC. My satellite receiver is across the room. What do I need to do to get DOD connected? A router or ethernet adapter, and what the heck are they?
Thanks from a non tech-savvy person.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 ONLINE   oldschoolecw

oldschoolecw

HarpoonIPA

• Registered
  • 1,476 posts
  • LocationHalifax, MA

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:12 AM

Check out this link http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=99327

LG Cinema Screen 47LM7600
Pioneer VSX-1120
X1 unit and yes it's Comcastic
Comcast Triple Play

#3 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:21 AM

I have a DSL modem connected to my PC. My satellite receiver is across the room. What do I need to do to get DOD connected? A router or ethernet adapter, and what the heck are they?

A router is a device that will take the single ethernet connection from your DSL modem and allow you to connect multiple ethernet devices and share the single internet connection. These come in many shapes in sizes, the most common in the home network configuration is called a wireless router. It provides the same function as a standard router and also adds a wireless interface to access to the home network and internet connection from various wireless devices such as latops, blackberries, etc.
By 'ethernet adpater', I assume you mean a 'Wireless adapter'. This would be used in the case where you have an ethernet capable device (such as a DirecTV HD DVR) but cannot get a network cable to it. By attaching a wireless adapter you can connect the 'non-wireless' device to the network using the wireless network conection provided by the router.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#4 OFFLINE   mauijiminar

mauijiminar

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:55 AM

I have my receiver connected to a wired router behind my TV. If you can I would connect the receiver with a wired internet and not a wirlessless adapter if you can. Internet pluged into the reciever is so much faster than a wireless trust me. I used a wireless connection with my PS3 and it was so slow comapred to the wired connection. I know it is harder to do by running cables thru walls and attic but if you can I would.

#5 OFFLINE   bobnielsen

bobnielsen

Éminence grise

• DBSTalk Club
  • 7,946 posts
  • LocationBainbridge Island, WA

Posted 07 December 2008 - 01:52 PM

Another option is powerline networking. In this case an adapter is connected to the router and plugged into an electrical socket and another adapter is connected in the same way to your router. The signal is conducted over your house wiring. Directv sells these devices, rated for 85 Mbps, for $25 each, which is a better price than comparible units. Under a few circumstances (outlets connected to different circuit breaker panels), don't always work, but they are a simple solution and are typically plug and play.

If possible, a direct wired cable is your best (and least expensive) choice.

#6 OFFLINE   BattleScott

BattleScott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:02 PM

I have my receiver connected to a wired router behind my TV. If you can I would connect the receiver with a wired internet and not a wirlessless adapter if you can. Internet pluged into the reciever is so much faster than a wireless trust me. I used a wireless connection with my PS3 and it was so slow comapred to the wired connection. I know it is harder to do by running cables thru walls and attic but if you can I would.

You must have either a real SLOW wireless or a real FAST internet. Any 802.11g or faster wireless link has more than enough thruput to outrun most residential internet connections. I get identical results on bandwidth tests via wireless laptop or wired desktop.
HR24-500 / AM-21 / WGA54AG
42" Pannasonic Plasma
HR22-100 / 26" LG LCD
Slimline 5-LNB

#7 OFFLINE   ItsMe

ItsMe

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:56 AM

Another option is powerline networking. In this case an adapter is connected to the router and plugged into an electrical socket and another adapter is connected in the same way to your router. The signal is conducted over your house wiring. Directv sells these devices, rated for 85 Mbps, for $25 each, which is a better price than comparible units. Under a few circumstances (outlets connected to different circuit breaker panels), don't always work, but they are a simple solution and are typically plug and play.

If possible, a direct wired cable is your best (and least expensive) choice.

So I would need to buy a router, connect it to my modem, and then connect the router to the powerline adapter; then, plug the satellite receiver into another poweline adapter....right?

There seems to be a lot of controversy about wireless, I'm not sure if it would be cost effective to go that way.

So I'm looking at shelling out $25 each for powerline adapters and ??$$ for a router....is DOD worth it?

#8 OFFLINE   ItsMe

ItsMe

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:01 AM

Check out this link

Wow, Oldschool: Dude! Not any of that stuff made sense to me.

#9 OFFLINE   mobandit

mobandit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:07 AM

So I would need to buy a router, connect it to my modem, and then connect the router to the powerline adapter; then, plug the satellite receiver into another poweline adapter....right?

There seems to be a lot of controversy about wireless, I'm not sure if it would be cost effective to go that way.

So I'm looking at shelling out $25 each for powerline adapters and ??$$ for a router....is DOD worth it?

It's only worth it if it's what you want? If you're going to use it, then it is worth it...if you're not....

A router can be had for as little as $40-50. I always recommend a router for a broadband internet connection, as it also (normally) has a built-in "firewall." The firewall is a means of providing some security for your computers, without the firewall your computer is (potentially) directly accessible from the Internet...by a hacker.

ETCM (SS/SW), USN (RET)
22 years, 4 months, 9 days

#10 OFFLINE   bonscott87

bonscott87

Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07

• Registered
  • 9,809 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:46 AM

I think you can buy a networking package directly from DirecTV that would have everything you need.

Otherwise you can simply buy a router, plug your DSL modem into the rounter and then plug your computer into the router as well as your satellite receiver. That's about as simple as I can make it. :)

spam firewall