Jump to content


Welcome to DBSTalk


Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends
 
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sealing up outdoor connections


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

    Legend

  • Registered
  • 233 posts
Joined: Sep 17, 2008

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:55 PM

When i had my install in june, I mounted my dish and ran all NEW RG6 cable from the dish to my central location (with a grounding block mounted in a metal box at the entry point to the house), then to each of my receivers. Doing this i knew i would have all new cable and only two breaks in the lines for possible loss. My dish was peaked (getting all 95% and above) everything was all ready for the contractor to come and only have to hook up the receivers, activate and leave......

Well, the contractor shows up.... hooks up all my receivers, activate them and they all work great! still getting 95% and above on all transponders. i am a happy customer (for now):)

Then, the contractor says that he needs to go up to the roof to peak the dish then, he will be out of my hair so i can enjoy my new setup:confused:

I asked him why? my lowest is 95%.....

he then explains that "Its D*'s policy that they MUST PEAK THE DISH TO THE MAXIMUM SIGNAL" and if they don't D* fines them $200 or more :lol: :lol:

Knowing this is TOTAL BS, i decided that if he really wants to crawl up on a wet rubber roof in a rainstorm on a 4 story building well, power to him... but, i tell him first that i have brand new cable and i DONT want any cuts in the lines..

Going up to the roof this weekend i come to find that he not only cut one line but, ALL FOUR LINES!!!! :mad: he then used crimp style ends and barrel connectors to join the lines back together:mad:

I have since replaced the ends with compression fitting and clean up the barrel connectors but, my question is... how can i seal up those connections (make em water proof)... would simply taking off the connections and putting a nice layer of the tape plumbers use on the threads of pipe work??? and other tips?

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch
Living Room: R16-300
Master Bedroom: D12-500
Kids Bedroom: D12-500


Proudly Non Comcastic since 2007

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   69hokie

69hokie

    Icon

  • Registered
  • 716 posts
Joined: Sep 23, 2006

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:01 PM

I used a silicone sealer to coat my exterior connectors. I think GE makes it and I got it at Home Depot.
Wayne
Go Virginia Tech....and "Hoo"ever is playing UVa!

My Setup

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

    Hall Of Fame

  • Registered
  • 8,969 posts
Joined: Nov 13, 2007

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:40 PM

Silicone Dielectric Grease. Google, get a small tube (you may find this in automotive stores too), squirt a small drop into each connector. It will take up all of the internal space and give moisture no place to enter. Torque the connectors to 30 inch/lbs. (but only finger-tight on the LNB).

#4 OFFLINE   firefighter4evr

firefighter4evr

    Legend

  • Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 233 posts
Joined: Sep 17, 2008

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:49 PM

Silicone Dielectric Grease. Google, get a small tube (you may find this in automotive stores too), squirt a small drop into each connector. It will take up all of the internal space and give moisture no place to enter. Torque the connectors to 30 inch/lbs. (but only finger-tight on the LNB).


Yeah, i think thats the crap they try to sell ya every time you buy new spark plug wires... in fact i may have some :) thanks

My Setup

Slimline 3-LNB Dish
WB68 Muti-Switch
Living Room: R16-300
Master Bedroom: D12-500
Kids Bedroom: D12-500


Proudly Non Comcastic since 2007




Protected By... spam firewall...And...