Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

New DirecTV Sales Method?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   dnelms

dnelms

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:17 PM

My son bought an HDTV for his room, so I called DTV to see what the price on a HD-DVR would be. They said they could go down to $145, which I said was fine. Plus $19.95 shipping. Ok, all was still well. Then she said there would be a $99 installation fee even though it was shipping to my house and we already have one HD setup that DTV did the installation. So no one was coming out and but I was going to be charged a fee? But then her next suggestion caught me off guard. She said you can avoid these fees by going to Best Buy or Circuit City and just buying the unit. So has DTV determined it's better to let the existing customer go thru the box stores rather than DTV for receiver upgrade?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:31 PM

Since almost a year ago, upgrades (not direct replacements) have a $99 installation fee. Despite what the CSR said, you pay EITHER a shipping fee OR an installation fee, not both.

The receivers at Costco/Best Buy/Circiut City are for folks who can and are willing to do their own upgrade, because if you lease it there, either you must do the installation yourself, including any dish/switch/cabling needed, or you have to call DirecTV and pay for installation anyway, so there isn't really any advantage other than you can ensure you get a specific model.

Generally, you're going to need the Slimline dish and 2 cables from the dish/switch going to the HD-DVR. You haven't us what equipment you currently have and how it is connected, so we can't give you any advice beyond what I've just told you.

Always remember that there are thousands and thousands of CSRs, all with different levels of training and experience, and call-center turn-over is high everywhere, so don't be surprised if the CSRs don't always have the correct information. If you ask here, you have a much better chance of getting the right answer.

#3 OFFLINE   dnelms

dnelms

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:45 PM

As I said in my original post, I have a current HD setup. I just had it doen a year ago (been with DTV since 1998). That was the first one I actually had DTV install, I had done all the rest myself. I got everything in place. All I need to do is swap out the receivers. But as I type this, one thing occurs to me, I think the model at Best But was a HR-22, does it come with the BBC's or will I have to get DTV to send them? I think it's just the HR23 where they are built in, correct?

#4 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,033 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:05 PM

dnelms,
How many receivers/DVRs do you have total? What model numbers are they? Will the new HD DVR replace an existing receiver or an existing DVR (if so, which)? How many coax cables are coming from your dish to a ground block outside your house? Are any of them unused (not cross connected to a coax going inside)? Are you able to run a coax line yourself if necessary?

#5 OFFLINE   dnelms

dnelms

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:35 PM

all is working well. He bought the box and we've got everything working as should be.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...