Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

H20/SWM8 Problem

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik

Legend

• Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:22 PM

I have a SWM8 installation (with an OTA antenna) and an H20 that has lost its mind. When I try to force a firmware download -- either using a legacy port or a swm8 port, it hangs at 99% and goes no further (using 0-2-4-6-8). Is there a way to bring this receiver back to life, and, if not, what's a decent receiver for a SWM8 installation? I'd prefer one with OTA capability, but that's not mandatory, though it would be nice.

TIA for help and/or shopping advice. Right now, the H20 is dead in the water.

Stan
Stanley Kritzik

Slimline feeds an SWM-8, diplexed with an OTA Square Shooter SS2000, using a Sonora AD14 active diplexer, plus a Sonora LA141R amplifier and a 4-way splitter (3 used).
Results distributed to two H20 receivers plus an HR21-Pro feeding three Sharp Aquos LCD screens, the largest being a 57" unit. Diplexers used for all receivers to split off OTA signals. HR21-Pro has an AM21 OTA receiver, and feeds into a Sony STR DA5200ES receiver. Also connected is a Sony Blu Ray player.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:33 PM

Any H2x receiver will work with SWM, but only the H20 has OTA. The H21/23 have no OTA support; you have to use your TV's internal tuner. The only H20s are refurbs, and there's no guarentee that you'll get one, but if you ask, you may be able to get them to send one out IF there are some available.

Unless you have to have OTA, I'd go with the H23, or even better, upgrade to a DVR.

#3 OFFLINE   Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 09:49 AM

Any H2x receiver will work with SWM, but only the H20 has OTA. The H21/23 have no OTA support; you have to use your TV's internal tuner. The only H20s are refurbs, and there's no guarentee that you'll get one, but if you ask, you may be able to get them to send one out IF there are some available.

Unless you have to have OTA, I'd go with the H23, or even better, upgrade to a DVR.

I have the protection option in my contract, so I could bounce it back to D*. I'd guess, of course, that I wouldn't get an H20 as a replacement, so I'd lose the OTA facility. Also, since I did a self-install, I'd probably get someone out who never saw a SWM8, and I'm not about to waste my life on this. My expensive option is to get an HR21/23 plus an AM21 for OTA, but that's going to be painful.

I'd love to find an H20 -- that's what I did once with Solid Signal, but I think they are gone, now.

Stan
Stanley Kritzik

Slimline feeds an SWM-8, diplexed with an OTA Square Shooter SS2000, using a Sonora AD14 active diplexer, plus a Sonora LA141R amplifier and a 4-way splitter (3 used).
Results distributed to two H20 receivers plus an HR21-Pro feeding three Sharp Aquos LCD screens, the largest being a 57" unit. Diplexers used for all receivers to split off OTA signals. HR21-Pro has an AM21 OTA receiver, and feeds into a Sony STR DA5200ES receiver. Also connected is a Sony Blu Ray player.

#4 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 10:31 AM

Also, H20-600s have a known problem with their power supply and are being replaced for free as needed.

#5 OFFLINE   rudeney

rudeney

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,266 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:30 AM

it sounds like this H20 has been working fine with the SWM8, but just to make sure, was this IRD up to date on firmware before connecting it to the SWM8? H20's needed a minimum software version to talk to the SWM.

See THIS post

If not, then you might try connecting it to a legacy port and doing the download.

#6 OFFLINE   clb4g9

clb4g9

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 11:43 AM

I have the protection option in my contract, so I could bounce it back to D*. I'd guess, of course, that I wouldn't get an H20 as a replacement, so I'd lose the OTA facility. Also, since I did a self-install, I'd probably get someone out who never saw a SWM8, and I'm not about to waste my life on this. My expensive option is to get an HR21/23 plus an AM21 for OTA, but that's going to be painful.

I'd love to find an H20 -- that's what I did once with Solid Signal, but I think they are gone, now.

Stan

If you have the protection plan, it might be worth a call to see if they will throw in the AM21, since that, along with an H21 or H23, would replace what you've got now. I would hope they would take care of you....

#7 OFFLINE   j2fast

j2fast

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:03 PM

If you have the protection plan, it might be worth a call to see if they will throw in the AM21, since that, along with an H21 or H23, would replace what you've got now. I would hope they would take care of you....

Unless this was changed recently the AM21 doesn't work with the H21 or 23 at this time; it only works with the HR21, 22, & 23.

As far as the H20's and SWM go they (the H20's) can be problematic. Some folks have had good luck and others no luck at all. Personally my 2 H20's usually update with no problems but I still have several problems with them not displaying channels randomly or being very slow to display some channels. If you can live without OTA until the AM21 work with the newer H series boxes then getting a newer H2x box may be your best bet if others can't provide a better solution.
ID10T or PEBCAK, there can be more than one...

My Current Setup

#8 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:21 PM

there have been multiple problems reported with the h20 and swm, especially with software downloads. some have got their h20 to download off of the legacy ports. i have traded 2 of the 4 of my h20's in for h21's. h21 works great with swm, the h20's have always been very "touchy".

#9 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:22 PM

Unless this was changed recently the AM21 doesn't work with the H21 or 23 at this time; it only works with the HR21, 22, & 23.

you are correct...... the current national software does not support the am21 on the h21,23

#10 OFFLINE   Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:28 PM

it sounds like this H20 has been working fine with the SWM8, but just to make sure, was this IRD up to date on firmware before connecting it to the SWM8? H20's needed a minimum software version to talk to the SWM.

See THIS post

If not, then you might try connecting it to a legacy port and doing the download.

The H20 did work -- then it had "who knows what" and stopped working, just recently. So, I did connect it to a legacy port -- tried to force a reload (0-2-4-6-8) -- and it hung at 99%. As I recall, when I got the unit from Solid Signal, that's how I got it going in the first place, because the firmware was down-level. So, I'm going to give it one more "legacy" shot, and see what happens. Is there, by chance, a way to reload the original firmware, such as power off for five minutes, or an RBR with the button held in for a minute (I've heard speculation regarding both of those activities, but I have no specific knowledge.)

Thanks for all the good advice and suggestions.

Stan
Stanley Kritzik

#11 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

The H20 did work -- then it had "who knows what" and stopped working, just recently. So, I did connect it to a legacy port -- tried to force a reload (0-2-4-6-8) -- and it hung at 99%. As I recall, when I got the unit from Solid Signal, that's how I got it going in the first place, because the firmware was down-level. So, I'm going to give it one more "legacy" shot, and see what happens. Is there, by chance, a way to reload the original firmware, such as power off for five minutes, or an RBR with the button held in for a minute (I've heard speculation regarding both of those activities, but I have no specific knowledge.)

Thanks for all the good advice and suggestions.

Stan

there is no way to download the original software that i know of, just the national release....

#12 OFFLINE   Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

there have been multiple problems reported with the h20 and swm, especially with software downloads. some have got their h20 to download off of the legacy ports. i have traded 2 of the 4 of my h20's in for h21's. h21 works great with swm, the h20's have always been very "touchy".

Thanks, Dave. One of my H20's just performs 100%, but the other is yuk. What some of us (with OTA issues) really need, of course, is a current technology plain old receiver with SWM8 capability and OTA either built-in or via an AM21.

I'm glad this is unit #3 that we don't use a lot!

Stan
Stanley Kritzik

#13 OFFLINE   MarkN

MarkN

Legend

• Registered
  • 258 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:40 PM

you are correct...... the current national software does not support the am21 on the h21,23

anyone know when the am21 will support the h21 ect...?

#14 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:53 PM

Thanks, Dave. One of my H20's just performs 100%, but the other is yuk. What some of us (with OTA issues) really need, of course, is a current technology plain old receiver with SWM8 capability and OTA either built-in or via an AM21.

I'm glad this is unit #3 that we don't use a lot!

Stan

yeah, i use OTA as well, but i will just wait until it is supported on the h21,23 and add an am21 then. the h21 is just stable on a swm setup and a h20 is not...:)

#15 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,887 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 12:53 PM

anyone know when the am21 will support the h21 ect...?

i dont know for sure

#16 OFFLINE   clb4g9

clb4g9

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:53 PM

Well that was definitely a brain malfunction....thanks for the correction :D Hopefully the H21/23 will have AM21 compatibility soon. I have never seen the back of one of those---I assume the back panel has the proper connections to support the AM21 and it's just a software issue?

#17 OFFLINE   j2fast

j2fast

Godfather

• Registered
  • 395 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 12:59 AM

Well that was definitely a brain malfunction....thanks for the correction :D Hopefully the H21/23 will have AM21 compatibility soon. I have never seen the back of one of those---I assume the back panel has the proper connections to support the AM21 and it's just a software issue?

The AM21 uses the USB port to connect to the receiver. So yep, all we're waiting for is D* add the functionality to the firmware of the H21/23's.
ID10T or PEBCAK, there can be more than one...

My Current Setup

#18 OFFLINE   Stanley Kritzik

Stanley Kritzik

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 248 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:50 AM

Well, the H20 came back to life -- at least partially. I unplugged it for a day, and then plugged it back in -- legacy port. Up came some "stuff", and it showed 407E firmware. So, I switched over to a SWM port w/o antenna diplexed in, and it worked! It remembered my local zip code and had the locals via satellite, it had the likes of 202HD, etc. So far so good.

However, when I added the antenna diplexer and asked for OTA locals, entered my zip code, etc., it said it couldn't find anything. If I remember correctly, I think I'll have to pretend to move -- use a different zip code -- and then flip back. I can't try it now, 'cause I'm out of town for a few days and I don't want to screw things up for our house sitter, but when I'm back, I'll try whatever. If anyone has an OTA idea to try -- OTA works on two other receivers -- I'll gladly accept some help.

Now, why, for days, I had the "99% hang up", and it's in the clear today, well, that is one of life's mysteries to me. Thanks for all the advice, and I/we sure wish D* would get a current generation receiver with OTA capability.

Stan
Stanley Kritzik

Protected By... spam firewall...And...