Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help me pick a new AV receiver, folks

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,554 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:31 PM

As I said:

This is a tough choice.

I suggested the Sony refurb because you get more (like HDMI's) for the buck, plus other features still not offered on many sub-$999 2008 or 2009 models. And many of the peformance problems that are included at no extra charge in every new model have been fixed.:sure:

But truthfully I don't know what I'd buy today. When I go the Yamaha site (because I like my Yamaha) and run a comparison on all the current models they list, I go nuts trying to figure out which features I might want "someday." But the RX-V1800 at $894.08 at Amazon has 4 HDMI inputs.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   russdog

russdog

Godfather

• Registered
  • 453 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:19 PM

Do any of these provide HDMI pass-through without the receiver turned on?
I ask because I often want just normal TV, and only use the good sound for certain things.

#23 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:54 PM

I doubt it russdog.

You could always hook your cable/satellite box to your TV with secondary connections.

Why would you not want to use your sound system for everything though? I've never used the speakers on my living room set. Heck, we even watch Dora in surround sound.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#24 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,459 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:09 PM

The Denon will allow you to pass-thru, but it has to be on, due to the switching circuitry. I've done this in the past just to test the Sharp TV crackling noise, the Denon doesn't present it audio wise, where the Sharp TV does if I pass-thru.
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#25 OFFLINE   dave29

dave29

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,903 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:13 PM

Fo me it was not even a consideration when buying the receiver since I will never use the feature.

agreed

#26 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:43 PM

I second the Onkyo 606. I've got one of these and I'd say it's goy the same type of bang for the buck as the HL67A750 - also has 4 HDMI inputs.

Will this accept and pass the Hr2x's 1080p signal?

#27 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,938 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:22 PM

All my hardware is kinda old: Sony STR-DE675 receiver, neither of which have HDMI.

Since I'm going to be buying so many new components I guess I might as well buy new speakers, too. I have a set of Polk Audio speakers that are decent, but I might as well upgrade everything to 7.1.

If it's in great shape, I wouldn't mind you giving me your Sony receiver. :grin:

But, why would you want to replace the speakers? Aren't Polk Audio excellent speakers? And, I don't believe speakers wear out.

"In an effort to increase your cable and satellite bills beyond the point of affordability and to further pad the pockets of our executives..."
Check out my list of links.

#28 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:26 PM

Will this accept and pass the Hr2x's 1080p signal?

With the TV and receiver off. but the HR20 on i turned on the TV and had a message "check signal cable" so I'd say no, the receiver muyst be on.
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#29 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:29 PM

But, why would you want to replace the speakers? Aren't Polk Audio excellent speakers? And, I don't believe speakers wear out.

Depends on the polk speakers. I wouldn't call THESE excellent. I wouldn't even call them decent.

#30 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:34 PM

i suggest the onkyo 606 or 706. here is the 706
http://www.jdoqocy.c...146500-10521304http://www.newegg.co...N82E16882120107

Or even the 806 if you want the largest number of HDMI inputs I've ever seen on an A/V unit!

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#31 OFFLINE   Ken S

Ken S

RIP

• Registered
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 08:51 PM

I've been very happy to date with my Denon 4306. However the web interface is a bit rudimentary and the documentation is horrendous.

The feature set is quite nice and has also improved with the more recent models. iPod control, internet radio, etc.

#32 OFFLINE   farmermike

farmermike

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:34 PM

Some of these suggestions are ok, but I'd go with Onkyo as IMHO Sony recievers suck and are overpriced. In fact the newer version of my reciver the Onkyo TX-SR706 is on sale at Crutchfield.com or Newegg.com for around $599 or less and is THX certified. The SR606 is even cheaper and both have HDMI passthrough and upconversion on the 706 model.

Just checked newegg.com:

Onkyo TXS706B $549

Onkyo TXS806 $649 free ship on both

Seems like cheap prices on both. Does the 806 have enough additional features to justify the extra $100?

I have no objection to Onkyo, I've just kind of been a Sony fan for years, although I'm going Samsung for my new TV. I'm not wedded to any particular brand, but the reviews I've read of the new higher end Sony ES series receivers have been very, very glowing.

#33 OFFLINE   farmermike

farmermike

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:38 PM

Look at the PS3 for Bluray... Upconverting with the PS3 is great for SD dvds.

Look at B&W speakers... Expensive, but beautiful sound.

I've been looking into the PS3 and even though I don't have much interest in game consoles, it's a helluva deal and the reviews of its Bluray performance are very good.

I've never heard of B&W speakers. B&O, yes, but not B&W.

BTW, why are you sorry you didn't buy a plasma?

#34 OFFLINE   farmermike

farmermike

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:42 PM

I don't disagree with that... My Onkyo runs hot too. But it hasn't been a big issue for me.

When you say hot, how hot do you mean? I have one of those typical open-backed cabinets with a glass door. I really wouldn't want to put it on top of the cabinet because I have the ViP 722 up there and that runs a little warm, too (although not nearly so warm as the HR20 I used to use).

If these Onkyos run too hot to put in any cabinet that's a definite non-starter for me.

#35 OFFLINE   farmermike

farmermike

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:47 PM

I'll be surprised if you hear anything negative about the Onkyo receivers from anyone who's had them. I've used Sony and Onkyo receivers.

Well - I have an 875. The current 876 is almost identical.

It runs so hot that it will eventually go into shutdown if placed inside any kind of cabinet, even one with open sides. Same thing will happen if you have anything stacked on top of it. I had to place it out in the open, on top of the cabinet, to get enough cooling.

And I'm not the only one with this problem. Read the many threads on the issue.

Is there a fix for this? I have a typical open-backed cabinet with a glass door that I have all my components in except for the ViP722, which sits on top. I think I'd like to keep it there because it runs a little warm, although not nearly as warm as the HR20 I used to use (that actually ran HOT).

i'd hate to have to rule out Onkyo entirely because of this issue, but putting it on top of the cabinet is a non-starter for me.

#36 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:52 PM

Seems like cheap prices on both. Does the 806 have enough additional features to justify the extra $100?

That's up to you. the 806 has more power (130W compared to 100W), extra THX processing and certification, a detachable power cord and a couple of other things.

You can compare them directly at onkyousa.com

#37 OFFLINE   Christopher Gould

Christopher Gould

Icon

• Registered
  • 828 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 07:53 PM

sony STR DA2400 ES not that expensive but does everything i need it to do plus a 5 year warranty

#38 OFFLINE   farmermike

farmermike

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

I'll be surprised if you hear anything negative about the Onkyo receivers from anyone who's had them. I've used Sony and Onkyo receivers.

Well - I have an 875. The current 876 is almost identical.

It runs so hot that it will eventually go into shutdown if placed inside any kind of cabinet, even one with open sides. Same thing will happen if you have anything stacked on top of it. I had to place it out in the open, on top of the cabinet, to get enough cooling.

And I'm not the only one with this problem. Read the many threads on the issue.

It does sound nice, I'll grant you that.

Keith

CNet doesn't have any official reviews of the 806, but there's one user review that's a bit frightening:

"Good sound, lots of connectivity, but video problems."
by imperito on November 14, 2008

Pros: The sound is great, driving my Aperion speakers. The video conversion is convenient, I can put everything on HDMI. Configuration isn't too difficult, nice to see a menu on the TV.
Cons: When displaying 1080p video from my Xbox 360, I see blue dots on the screen during dark scenes, even with the HDMI mode set to "Through". I don't think it is doing real pass through of the video. Doesn't happen on a 720p signal.
Summary: I like the sound, and the connectivity. The video on 720p is fine.

But the problem with 1080p video is very distracting,the whole screen would sparkle with blue dots during fade to black transitions. I had to switch to using 720p.

#39 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Is there a fix for this? I have a typical open-backed cabinet with a glass door that I have all my components in except for the ViP722, which sits on top. I think I'd like to keep it there because it runs a little warm, although not nearly as warm as the HR20 I used to use (that actually ran HOT).

i'd hate to have to rule out Onkyo entirely because of this issue, but putting it on top of the cabinet is a non-starter for me.

You could get a usb powered fan or a laptop cooling pad for it, if it's a concern.

#40 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:10 PM

Just checked newegg.com:

Onkyo TXS706B $549

Onkyo TXS806 $649 free ship on both

I have no objection to Onkyo, I've just kind of been a Sony fan for years, although I'm going Samsung for my new TV. I'm not wedded to any particular brand, but the reviews I've read of the new higher end Sony ES series receivers have been very, very glowing.

My old man got the 806 for $596 on Amazon (no tax, no shipping), so that NewEgg price above is a bit high.

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...