Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help me pick a new AV receiver, folks

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   farmermike

farmermike

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:36 AM

Better amp.
Superior video processing.
Better version of Audyssey processing.

Whether the diff is worth it to you is a different matter.

ps: You can't adequately judge the quality of either the video processing or the amp just by reading manufacturer spec-sheets.

Thanks for the info, but it's a moot point now. I made my buy and it's Sony:

Samsung HL67A750
Sony STR-DA4400ES
Sony PS3 Playstation (instead of a standalone Bluray player)

Decided to hang into my Polk speakers for now because I can't decide which way to go in that department. Heard about Orb Audio and they look interesting, but there's no way you can hear them unless you live in NY or LA and you can only buy them online.
Was thinking about Mirage Nanosats, but I might go all in on the Orbs. Gotta think some more and do more research.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 23 December 2008 - 11:40 AM

OK, how long until someone pops in to say, "You made a horrible decision!", "Sony? Dude, wrong choice!" etc.

:D

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#63 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 23 December 2008 - 02:42 PM

I can't deny that the Elite SC-05 is a fine receiver. However, if you don't need all the extra inputs and outputs, the Yamaha RX-V863 is an excellent choice at a little over half the price.

Well, I don't care about all the inputs as I wouldn't use most of them. To me it's about the audio. That Yamaha (almost any Yamaha with the possible exception of the RX-Z7) would never be able to compete with the ICE amps in the new pio's (05/07). There's a reason that Yamaha is half the price.

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#64 OFFLINE   farmermike

farmermike

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 06:56 PM

OK, how long until someone pops in to say, "You made a horrible decision!", "Sony? Dude, wrong choice!" etc.:D

Won't bother me. I have yet to read one bad review of the upper end ES series receivers. CNet was absolutely crazy about them. I've had my Sony STR-DE675 since September 2001 and it has performed flawlessly. I have no complaints.

All the reviews say the Sony graphical interface is superb and the kind of software every receiver maker should emulate. Seems silly to spend $1K on a box and have to fight with text menus and a DOS-like interface. There's more to these receivers than just the tech specs. User friendliness is a major issue.

Now I just have to figure out what to do about speakers. Orbs? Mirage Nanosats? Klipsch RF-10 system? Aperion Intimus 4T? Can't decide. I wanted to spend less than a grand on them, but it doesn't look like that's going to be possible, especially since I want 4 surrounds and a new subwoofer so I can do 7.1 the right way.

#65 OFFLINE   farmermike

farmermike

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 09:31 PM

Won't bother me. I have yet to read one bad review of the upper end ES series receivers. CNet was absolutely crazy about them. I've had my Sony STR-DE675 since September 2001 and it has performed flawlessly. I have no complaints.

All the reviews say the Sony graphical interface is superb and the kind of software every receiver maker should emulate. Seems silly to spend $1K on a box and have to fight with text menus and a DOS-like interface. There's more to these receivers than just the tech specs. User friendliness is a major issue.

Now I just have to figure out what to do about speakers. Orbs? Mirage Nanosats? Klipsch RF-10 system? Aperion Intimus 4T? Can't decide. I wanted to spend less than a grand on them, but it doesn't look like that's going to be possible, especially since I want 4 surrounds and a new subwoofer so I can do 7.1 the right way.

Answering my own question tonite. Just bought PolkAudio RM85 surround system and added two more RM7 surrounds and a PSW125 subwoofer.

So I'm done with all my home theater shopping. And I managed to keep it under $5K, including TV stand and HDMI cables. All I have to buy is new speaker wire, connectors and 4 stands for my surrounds. Whew, glad that's done.

#66 OFFLINE   Lord Vader

Lord Vader

Special Member

• Registered
  • 8,356 posts
  • LocationGalactic Empire

Posted 24 December 2008 - 02:37 AM

I'm certainly not criticizing him for getting that model. I was just surprised he did because of its price. I DO love the fact that it has tons of HDMI inputs!

FAITH: I find the lack of it disturbing.

Opinions are my own but should be those of all Americans, who would be much better off intellectually, psychologically, and emotionally if that were the case.

#67 OFFLINE   ShawnL25

ShawnL25

Icon

• Registered
  • 570 posts

Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:39 PM

Three pages and no one has suggested HK
I love mine. Get the HK AVR 354

It does everything and is easy to use / setup.

#68 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:44 PM

Three pages and no one has suggested HK
I love mine. Get the HK AVR 354

It does everything and is easy to use / setup.

1. No video passthrough.
2. Underpowered.
3. EZSET (one of the worst of the auto calibrations)
4. Audio synch issues with the PS3 via HDMI
5. Clips BTB/WTW
6. Random speaker level bug.
7. Sound loss issues when changing channels/FF, which needs a source change to correct.

#69 OFFLINE   rotohead

rotohead

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:32 PM

I vote for the Denon 3808 w/Audyssey. Great features and I love the Rhapsody subscription. Sound quality is exceptional. Only shortcoming I find with it is only one HDMI output. If you hate when commercials are much louder than regular programming then Audyssey is the answer.

#70 OFFLINE   shedberg

shedberg

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 02:43 PM

What do you guys think of the Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K as a decent AVR?

#71 OFFLINE   Sirshagg

Sirshagg

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 03:33 PM

If you hate when commercials are much louder than regular programming then Audyssey is the answer.

What are these commercials of which you speak? :D
Who is this "Vod Kanockers" that you speak of?

#72 OFFLINE   rotohead

rotohead

Legend

• Registered
  • 227 posts
  • LocationReno, NV

Posted 02 January 2009 - 07:05 PM

What are these commercials of which you speak? :D

Jezz, I get it...my sister continues to point out there is a 'mute' button.

I watch 90% sports, LIVE, don't care to much for Idol or Dance programming. I also can't time shift even just a little bit if I know the event is live. Can't do it.
I'm just saying, for what it does, Audyssey worked for me, aging, hard of hearing viewer tired of diving for the remote everytime something changes. Audyssey maybe isn't for the purist but it is working better than I expected for me.

#73 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:30 PM

What do you guys think of the Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K as a decent AVR?

I'm a big Pioneer fan, but in that price range, I'd get the Onkyo TX-SR706 (might cost you $100 - $150 more, depending). I think it's a much better receiver in terms of sound and features. It's also a Recommended Buy from Sound and Vision Magazine.

#74 OFFLINE   jimstolz76

jimstolz76

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:43 PM

CNet doesn't have any official reviews of the 806, but there's one user review that's a bit frightening:

"Good sound, lots of connectivity, but video problems."
by imperito on November 14, 2008

Pros: The sound is great, driving my Aperion speakers. The video conversion is convenient, I can put everything on HDMI. Configuration isn't too difficult, nice to see a menu on the TV.
Cons: When displaying 1080p video from my Xbox 360, I see blue dots on the screen during dark scenes, even with the HDMI mode set to "Through". I don't think it is doing real pass through of the video. Doesn't happen on a 720p signal.
Summary: I like the sound, and the connectivity. The video on 720p is fine.

But the problem with 1080p video is very distracting,the whole screen would sparkle with blue dots during fade to black transitions. I had to switch to using 720p.

99% sure that is a bad HDMI cable and nothing else.

#75 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,497 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:58 PM

99% sure that is a bad HDMI cable and nothing else.

Actually that's an issue that some Onkyo's have with gaming machines via HDMI (PS3/XBOX). You can usually correct it by going into the OSD menu and turning off immediate display.

You can also avoid the issue by choosing 720p or 1080i. It only happens when gaming (not watching Blu Ray via the PS3).

There's a thread about it on avforums

#76 OFFLINE   barryb

barryb

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,937 posts

Posted 02 January 2009 - 09:59 PM

I have been more than satisfied with my Pioneer equipment.
Barry
MY SETUP
You can usually find me helping out in the Quiet Room on Friday chat night.

#77 OFFLINE   shedberg

shedberg

Icon

• Registered
  • 522 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:05 PM

I'm a big Pioneer fan, but in that price range, I'd get the Onkyo TX-SR706 (might cost you $100 - $150 more, depending). I think it's a much better receiver in terms of sound and features. It's also a Recommended Buy from Sound and Vision Magazine.

Thanks Stew!

#78 OFFLINE   KG4MVP

KG4MVP

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 04:02 PM

I install Onkyo and Intergra receivers almost daily and they by far are the best bang for the buck. We as a company dropped Sony a few years ago because there quality went to crap. We use B&K for our high end systems but they are a little on the spendy side. I can't stress enough to you how easy the onkyo are to set up and use and the sound IS very good for it's price point.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...