Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

5 LNB Slim Line Dish Install Help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   maine-directv

maine-directv

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:56 PM

Hi,

Looking for some tips, advice, etc. for installing a Slim Line 5 LNB dish. If anyone has done this or if there are any good write-ups I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 10,814 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:01 PM

Go to the bottom of this page, there are two videos to watch.

http://www.solidsign...ROD=AU9-SL5-SWM

This link is about the older AT9 dish, but much applies also.

http://www.solidsign...tall_videos.asp

#3 OFFLINE   maine-directv

maine-directv

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 04:50 PM

thanks. sounds much more complicated than i had anticipated however it does offer some nice features over my old setup.

#4 OFFLINE   clb4g9

clb4g9

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:24 PM

It's not as bad as you might think, although the first time you install one of these it can be a bit daunting.....download the manual there after you watch the video and follow the directions quite closely and you'll be fine. Are you using a handheld signal meter or the signal meters in your receiver?

#5 OFFLINE   peevy

peevy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:11 PM

Forget the 5 lnb,, get the new Slimline 3 or swm 3. You can just fine tune the 101 and be done with it.

#6 OFFLINE   jhillestad

jhillestad

Godfather

• Registered
  • 425 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:19 PM

Forget the 5 lnb,, get the new Slimline 3 or swm 3. You can just fine tune the 101 and be done with it.

Same dish different lnb so I think you still need to fine tune (dither) the main advantage is just one cable run....

#7 OFFLINE   Greyshadow2007

Greyshadow2007

Legend

• Registered
  • 246 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:07 AM

Same dish different lnb so I think you still need to fine tune (dither) the main advantage is just one cable run....

I think he was referring to the Slimline3 or the SL3S (Slimline 3 with SWM.) Either LNB should not require any fine-tuning beyond peaking 101 (99/103 should fall into place based on pre-set tilt at the back assembly.) The reflector and back assembly should be identical between the Slimline3 and Slimline5, though.
-) They are listening... don't stop complaining... just do it constructively...
-) Be true to yourself and be good to one another... this is a community, not a barroom...
-) Keep the CE alive by participating... giving feedback... giving ideas

-Earl Bonovich

#8 OFFLINE   Matman

Matman

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:23 AM

I did mine on my own, and I am certainly NOT the handiest guy around. (my wife will vouch). Its not as hard as it looks, here is what I did (basic instructions):

Watch the install videos to get an idea of what you are up against

Go to www.dishpointer.com and make sure where you want to mount the dish will actually be able to get some signal. Note the dish settings as well (direction, elevation and tilt)

Mount the mast. Make sure it is LEVEl and PLUMB, or you are gonna have the added headache of all those earlier mentioned settings being off. The mount includes a bubble level, but I recommed using an external one, that bubly one is only so accurate.

One the mast is level and plumb, add the monopoles to either side and mount them. (These are needed to keep the dish steady)

Run your cables if not already done. Connect to dish.

Mount the dish.

Set the elevation and tilt to the right settings.

Have someone sit in front of your TV who can read the signal meters. I used our cordless phone to communicate with this per (ours will intercom to each other) but many others have used cell phones.

Using the signal meters, get the 101 sat sighted in and as high signals as you can.

Using a combination of dithering and/or trial and error, get the 103 and 99 sats aligned in. (Use the fine tuning nuts for this, a little bit goes a LONG way). Remember, the higher you can get the 99 and 103, the more resistant to rain/snow fade your signal will be. (99 and 103 are your HD stuff, which precip kills the quickest)

I found that once those 3 (101, 103 and 99) were in correctly, the other sats (119 and 110 I think, doing this from memory at work) had good signal levels and aside from guide stuff, don't do anything in my market so I didn't stress)

Once you are all sighted in, make sure you TIGHTEN everything down, if you forget a fine tuning bolt or two, the first good wind is gonna have you back up with your dish. (I speak from personal experience in this one, amazing how much a dish will move if you don't tighten things!)

Put your tools away, and take your signal meter reader out for a beer/dinner, because they have spent the last 30 min listening to you say "what does it say now? How about now? now? " and are probably really sick of ya. =)

Sit back and bask in the D* glory!

There are more details instructions out there, and this is really a basic guide, but should give you an idea of what you are up against. The aligning part isn't that hard, the video's kinda make it look worse then it really is. Just be patient and remember to make LITTLE adjustments, a 1/4 turn on those fine tuning bolts is usually PLENTY to make the signal go from 60% to 85%.....

Good luck, this forum is great if you run into problems!!!!!
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
~Leonardo da Vinci

#9 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:48 PM

I think he was referring to the Slimline3 or the SL3S (Slimline 3 with SWM.) Either LNB should not require any fine-tuning beyond peaking 101 (99/103 should fall into place based on pre-set tilt at the back assembly.) The reflector and back assembly should be identical between the Slimline3 and Slimline5, though.

The ONLY step that is skipped when using an SL3 vs. an SL5 is loosening the tilt and peaking 119. Everything else, including the dithering to fine-tune 99/103, applies to both.

spam firewall