Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

SWM LNB - Raleigh, NC

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ChuckBoozer

ChuckBoozer

Mentor

• Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:27 PM

Recently moved to Raleigh, NC and will be getting my new dish installed next Saturday.

My house is pre-wired and I would definitely prefer not to run additional coax to my 2 HD DVR's. Anyone in the Raleigh area know if SWM LNB's are standard on new installations?

Thanks,
Chuck

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,304 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:36 PM

SWM3's are pretty much standard on all new HD installs in the Raleigh/Durham DMA.

#3 OFFLINE   ChuckBoozer

ChuckBoozer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:41 PM

SWM3's are pretty much standard on all new HD installs in the Raleigh/Durham DMA.

Thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like I should be OK, although I will still probably call the installation company prior to my appt. Do you have any familiarity with MASTEC?

#4 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:46 PM

Work for them.

#5 OFFLINE   opie168

opie168

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:49 PM

I live in Raleigh myself and unfortunately Had my install at my home about 6months ago right when the SWM LNB was being trained on around here. Now I know for a fact that at the least all the D* "In house Techs" are installing these for people as a standard.
An "In-house Tech" was out at my place for an install in someone else's home and i spoke with the guy for awhile and he couldn't say enough how much he loved installing the new dish's since they dont have to run all the extra cable and it just makes everything much easier.
Now he was a "In house Tech" (ones that drive the D* Van's) but i dont know about the regular subcontracted out installers that are in the area. For them i'd assume itd depend on if they had any 5lnb dish's left in their stock as I'd assume they'd want to get reid of all old equipment first...

#6 OFFLINE   ChuckBoozer

ChuckBoozer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 07:51 PM

Work for them.

OK - good enough for me! :)

Sound like I should be in good shape, although I was concerned when the Direct TV rep. mentioned that she did not think it would be a SWM installation (referenced installation of a 6x8 multiswitch).

#7 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:01 PM

We can change the work orders as we see fit, structured wiring, they said it was free customer, all SWM compatible equipment, equals SWM.

#8 OFFLINE   ChuckBoozer

ChuckBoozer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 08:05 PM

We can change the work orders as we see fit, structured wiring, they said it was free customer, all SWM compatible equipment, equals SWM.

Good to know - thanks so much for the responses!

#9 OFFLINE   neocharles

neocharles

Legend

• Registered
  • 145 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 11:00 PM

So we already have service in my house, and they ran the 2 wires for the downstairs HD DVR, and just tapped into the wire that was ran to my room upstairs for the HD box, but now I am interested in an HD-DVR... It would be near impossible to easily run another line to my room... so what would the best route be for me to take?
Living Room: HR21-100 via HDMI to Sony KDF-50E2000 Utilizing direct RJ11
Bedroom: H21-100 via Component to Samsung LN32A330
Networked: Yes; Both Units Connected via WGA600N

#10 OFFLINE   opie168

opie168

• Registered
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 05:39 AM

ChuckBoozer
-You get your install done yet? If not could you grab your installers # if he seems pretty good as mine has left D8 and am in need of a new personal contact in the area and hate having to go through the loops and much rather pay the guy outa pocket a lil cash on top of him grabbin my work order just to feel more confident the work gets done right.
Also, itd be nice to know if he could scoop up a HR23 box if i ordered a new one.

#11 OFFLINE   ChuckBoozer

ChuckBoozer

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 December 2008 - 08:09 AM

ChuckBoozer
-You get your install done yet? If not could you grab your installers # if he seems pretty good as mine has left D8 and am in need of a new personal contact in the area and hate having to go through the loops and much rather pay the guy outa pocket a lil cash on top of him grabbin my work order just to feel more confident the work gets done right.
Also, itd be nice to know if he could scoop up a HR23 box if i ordered a new one.

My install is schedueld for this Saturday. I'll let you know how it goes.

#12 OFFLINE   ShrikeT

ShrikeT

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:34 AM

I live in Morrisville and had my DirecTV originally installed back in June with no SWM. They had to run 2 wires up the side of my house and a drill a hole through my living room wall. Anyway, I recently wanted to add a new DVR in my bedroom and did not want them to install it the same way. So I inquired about the SWM and they told me they would not to do it for upgrades, only new installs. I ended up ordering the equipment and installing it myself. Probably for the best in the end since they told me the earliest they could get out here was December 27th and my original experience with their techs was poor. Anyway, it sounds like if you're getting a new install, you should be in good shape.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...