Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Choice of installation companies? Mid-MI

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   PTown

PTown

Legend

• Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:05 AM

I will cliff's the story for you.

Old roommate calls Directv and wants service installed, gets great deal through work, Directv sets time+date, so far so good.
Contractor comes out and immediately says he cant do it. Roommate asks why, blah blah blah "It's just impossible, it can't be done", no explanation why, no LOS checks, nothing. Old roommate explains I(being me) had dish network subbed (61.5/110/119 sats) when I lived there. Contractor doesn't care, contractor leaves after several more excuses.
Hmm... why does he leave? I have a feeling it was because it was 18 degrees outside and he didn't feel like getting up on the roof and working.

Now, my question is, when calling for an installation can you request X company not come out again and another one be sent?
(I wouldn't want that guy out there again anyways, if hes too lazy even check LOS I can only imagine the magic he works with the rest of the install)
Assuming there is more than 1 installation company, are there any alternatives or is it always going to be the same and you just hope its not a 1 man show?

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:18 AM

North America is a big place........where are you?

Joe

#3 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:54 PM

Request a different installer. The first guy obviously didn't want the job anyway. Don't worry too much about anything else.

The bottom line is that many installers are constantly over-booked, so they know that they won't be able to do a couple of the jobs they've been assigned. Since they get paid by the job, it makes sense for them to cherry-pick and only do the easy jobs. So, big or difficult jobs, or jobs far away, will get passed over.

Is it right? Not for the customer, but given the conditions the installers work under, it is understandable. The answer would be to hire more installers, or do a better job of keeping the ones they get, but that would mean paying them better and treating them better, and the HSPs have no intention on cutting into their hefty profit margins just to do that. There's always more desparate suckers waiting for a job...

#4 OFFLINE   Birdman79

Birdman79

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 01:26 PM

Request a different installer. The first guy obviously didn't want the job anyway. Don't worry too much about anything else.

The bottom line is that many installers are constantly over-booked, so they know that they won't be able to do a couple of the jobs they've been assigned. Since they get paid by the job, it makes sense for them to cherry-pick and only do the easy jobs. So, big or difficult jobs, or jobs far away, will get passed over.

Is it right? Not for the customer, but given the conditions the installers work under, it is understandable. The answer would be to hire more installers, or do a better job of keeping the ones they get, but that would mean paying them better and treating them better, and the HSPs have no intention on cutting into their hefty profit margins just to do that. There's always more desparate suckers waiting for a job...

What ever he ^^^ said,you can also call DTV and have them send a different tech,or a supervisor to check LOS.

#5 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:43 PM

What ever he ^^^ said,you can also call DTV and have them send a different tech,or a supervisor to check LOS.

Not everywhere,

Out in the boonies you get what you get. Even in the big lighted-road places it can be tough.

Joe

#6 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:03 PM

Now, my question is, when calling for an installation can you request X company not come out again and another one be sent?

Nope, if you go through D* to order you get the local HSP. Check yellow pages for local retailers.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#7 OFFLINE   PTown

PTown

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 02:46 AM

Great answers so far thanks guy. I think the answer here would be to request the same installer not be sent again. It was obvious he was not interested in doing the job, even though it is an incredibly simple and straight forward install.

Joe: Yes I agree, but I included the location in my post title mid-michigan (midland/bay city/saginaw) :D

Anyone have any recommendations for this area?

#8 OFFLINE   jefbal99

jefbal99

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,838 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:59 AM

Mid-Michigan Micro Tech out of Grand Rapids completed my install in Lansing. They were great installers, very knowledgeable and professional.

I would ask for a different installer to come back out.
Receiving Equipment: AU9 Slimline w/Zinwell WB68 & SWM 8 | Winegard MS-2000 w/PS-1503 Power Injector
Living Room: HR22-100 w/AM-21 | Samsung HL-S4266W (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV | Pioneer HTS-GS1 5.1 | Yamaha DV-S6160 (Component/Digital Coaxial)
Bedroom: H21-200 w/AM-21 | Westinghouse LVM-42w2 (HDMI) | Ethernet MRV
Home Theatre: HR20-100 | Sanyo PLV-Z60 (Component/Optical) | Flexio 16:9 100" Screen | Ethernet MRV |Yamaha YHT-690 | XBox 360 (Component) | Harmony 880

#9 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:26 PM

Great answers so far thanks guy. I think the answer here would be to request the same installer not be sent again. It was obvious he was not interested in doing the job, even though it is an incredibly simple and straight forward install.

Joe: Yes I agree, but I included the location in my post title mid-michigan (midland/bay city/saginaw) :D

Anyone have any recommendations for this area?

Ptown,
I've been to MI.........nice flat place. The roads run north to south and east to west in grids. I managed to miss the snow.

So, anyhow, what you have to do to dump the low skill dudes is call DTV and cancel the order. Then find a local retailer (like the one posted above by jefbal99) and place the order through him.

The deals are about the same. If you can't get a competent guy on the next do-over that is how it is done. I'll look around..........many folks that could help you no longer do DTV installations.

Joe

#10 OFFLINE   bababooey

bababooey

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 10:13 PM

Does any one know who does the installations in the Chicago Suburbs. I would like to have my dish relocated.

#11 OFFLINE   PTown

PTown

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 199 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 01:00 AM

Thank you for the great responses gentlemen. I will pass this info along to my buddy and follow up here as soon as possible.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...