Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Signal OK for HD self-install activation?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   gtheel

gtheel

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:57 AM

To make a long story short, I'm trying to self-install a Slimline-3 because the HSP has several times refused to do an install after claiming line-of-sight issues. The dish is up and appears to be peaked pretty well, according to the signal strength meter on a borrowed HD receiver.

I am returning to D* and currently have no commitment, so before activating my service and locking in the 2-year commitment with a retail-purchased HD receiver, I wanted to get some feedback about how my signal strength looks and whether there's anything I'm overlooking.

I'm in the Atlanta area, so my HD locals come from D11 (per the latest LIL work here - great stuff!) and don't believe I need anything other than 101, D10 and D11. Here are my signal strengths:

1-8:	98	100	95	94	96	100	96	100
9-16:	96	100	96	83	97	100	94	100
17-24:	93	97	93	88	94	100	92	100
25-32:	88	100	87	94	94	100	91	100

103b (from a H21, so it's D10)
1-8:	94	94	94	94	92	93	92	94
9-16:	92	94	89	94	93	94	n/a	n/a
17-24:	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a
25-32:	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a

99a (from a H21, so it's D11)
1-8:	95	94	94	95	94	93	94	95
9-16:	94	93	94	94	94	94	n/a	n/a
17-24:	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a
25-32:	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a	n/a
Is there anything there that should make me wary about going forward with the 2-year lock in? Although we're approaching winter, the trees in the general line-of-sight still have most of their leaves, so I don't anticipate any seasonal problems.

Thanks for everyone's help. I couldn't have gotten this far without this great forum!

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#2 OFFLINE   Matman

Matman

Legend

• Registered
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:05 AM

Looks like you should be in good shape! Only "gotcha" I potentially see for you is if next spring the tree you speak of really grows in full, but since you say they still have most of their leaves and no issues, you are probably fine. Great signal strengths, good install!
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return.
~Leonardo da Vinci

#3 OFFLINE   seltech

seltech

Legend

• Registered
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:46 PM

indeed, GJ :)
H21-200 HDMI @ 1080
AU-9 slimline 3 LNB
Sony Bravia S 46"

#4 OFFLINE   smiddy

smiddy

Tain't ogre til its ogre

• Registered
  • 15,459 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:41 PM

Those look great to me man! Light it up!
Aaron 'smiddy' Smith

#5 OFFLINE   gtheel

gtheel

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 11:43 PM

Thanks, all.

Quick follow up: According to the latest LIL transponder map, my HD locals should come from 103(a) on transponders 16 and 20. When I view the signal strength screen for 103(a) on the H21, all transponders show up as n/a.

Is this something I should be worried about, or should I be OK because I have strong signals on the 103(B) CONUS transponders? Obviously, I can see D10 but I don't know whether there could be a difference between the CONUS beams and the spot beams from the same sat.

#6 OFFLINE   carl6

carl6

Hall Of Fame

• Moderators
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:09 AM

If you are receiving all of the channels you are supposed to be getting, then you don't need to worry about it.

#7 OFFLINE   gtheel

gtheel

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:05 AM

If you are receiving all of the channels you are supposed to be getting, then you don't need to worry about it.

I'm actually trying to decide whether my signal strengths after a self-install are good enough to reactivate my D* service and get locked in for 2 years. I don't think there's a way to verify channels themselves without activating service, is there?

Does D* have some kind of "money back guarantee" period after activation to avoid paying cancellation fees? My signals look good in the signal strength meter, but I don't know whether I'm willing to be a few hundred dollars on it. :)

#8 OFFLINE   jimmyv2000

jimmyv2000

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,014 posts
  • LocationManchester NH

Posted 09 December 2008 - 07:52 AM

over the last couple of months some area(Digital) locals moved to different satellites
Boston moved last month not sure about your area.
Jimmy

#9 OFFLINE   clb4g9

clb4g9

Legend

• Registered
  • 133 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 09:29 AM

I'm actually trying to decide whether my signal strengths after a self-install are good enough to reactivate my D* service and get locked in for 2 years. I don't think there's a way to verify channels themselves without activating service, is there?

Does D* have some kind of "money back guarantee" period after activation to avoid paying cancellation fees? My signals look good in the signal strength meter, but I don't know whether I'm willing to be a few hundred dollars on it. :)

If the transponder says n/a then the information you had regarding your local spotbeam is probably outdated.....do you have any friends in your local area with DirecTV? You could always borrow their receiver and test it out at your house to verify everything is aligned correctly, although with your signal strengths there shouldn't be any reason why you wouldn't get all of the channels.

#10 OFFLINE   akgarrett62

akgarrett62

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:12 PM

To make a long story short, I'm trying to self-install a Slimline-3 because the HSP has several times refused to do an install after claiming line-of-sight issues. The dish is up and appears to be peaked pretty well, according to the signal strength meter on a borrowed HD receiver.

Nice job on the install. Did you use a meter to align it first before hooking it to the receiver...if so, what kind of meter did you use?

I'm gonna be doing a similar self-install so that's why I ask. thanks.

#11 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 04:24 PM

If your signal strengths are good, you'll get the channels. I guess one thing you could try is calling a CSR about activation, and asking them if they can send programming to you before you commit.

BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#12 OFFLINE   gtheel

gtheel

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 08:30 PM

Nice job on the install. Did you use a meter to align it first before hooking it to the receiver...if so, what kind of meter did you use?

I'm gonna be doing a similar self-install so that's why I ask. thanks.

I only used the signal strength meters in my old DirecTivo and a borrowed H21.

I have an old SD dish up already, so I knew about where to point the Slimline-3. I used the sun siting technique to figure out where I could mount the dish to see the 99/101/103 in my heavily wooded area. (Unfortunately, that may not work this time of year.)

http://www.dbstalk.c...ead.php?t=63277

Once I mounted it and peaked the 101 using the DirecTivo (make sure the mast is plumb), I used the tilt settings for the Slimline-3 on DishPointer to set the tilt.

http://dishpointer.com/

Based on several comments here on the board, I learned that if the 101 is well aligned, the tilt setting from DishPointer is usually good enough for the Slimline-3. (I don't know whether that's true if you also need to see the 110 and 119 with a Slimline-5 - you may need to fine tune it using the instructions in the manual.) That is what happened for me. I used the H21 to verify that the initial tilt setting gave me the 99 and 103 signal strengths I posted above.

Hope that helps!

#13 OFFLINE   2dogz

2dogz

Godfather

• Registered
  • 499 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 11:16 PM

Be sure to ask about any of their "welcome back" incentives/discounts/freebees to see if you can cash in on any deals.

Directv since 1997
2x HR21-100 2x HR22-100 1x HR20-700R
Sony Sat T60 Tivo Still Truckin'
AU9 WB616 OTA: Channel Master CM4221

#14 OFFLINE   akgarrett62

akgarrett62

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 08:33 AM

On The Slimline3 and SWM3, do you have to worry about any LNB "skew" ? I don't know much about that, so didn't know if you have to worry any about it or not.

#15 OFFLINE   Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus

You make it, We break it

• Registered
  • 4,722 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:40 PM

Assuming the SL3 is has the same adjustments as the 5LNB SLimline, there are 3 adjustments - Elevation, Azimuth (side to side), and Tilt (rotation of the dish [like a steering wheel])
BIG BLUE FOR LIFE

#16 OFFLINE   gtheel

gtheel

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

Assuming the SL3 is has the same adjustments as the 5LNB SLimline, there are 3 adjustments - Elevation, Azimuth (side to side), and Tilt (rotation of the dish [like a steering wheel])

Also, I think what D* calls "tilt" is the same as what DishPointer calls "skew"

Protected By... spam firewall...And...