Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Water Proofing Connections

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 08 December 2008 - 02:55 PM

What's the best way to waterproof coaxial connections outside?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 03:21 PM

dielectric grease
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#3 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:00 PM

Drip loops, wrench tightened connectors.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#4 OFFLINE   pduggan

pduggan

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:02 PM

My installer recommended silicone caulking. That's what he used at the cable entrances.

So far, no problems.

#5 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:10 PM

My installer recommended silicone caulking. That's what he used at the cable entrances.

So far, no problems.

That's correct for sealing holes in the wall, but not for sealing the coax connectors themselves.

Silicone Dielectric Grease is what you want to use. It is non-drying. You squirt a small drop, about half the size of a pea, into the connector before screwing it on.

#6 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:11 PM

Where would I get that? Hardware store?

#7 OFFLINE   Mertzen

Mertzen

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,682 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:16 PM

Where would I get that? Hardware store?

Most likely not at the major ones. Look for BOSS 440 dielectric compound.
No longer doing DBS work, but missing every moment of it.

#8 OFFLINE   say-what

say-what

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,647 posts
  • LocationNew Orleans

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:20 PM

solid signal has it

#9 OFFLINE   curt8403

curt8403

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,481 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:28 PM

solid signal has it

autozone also has it, as they use it on light bulbs in cars/
I am no longer connected with Directv or any other satellite provider

#10 OFFLINE   bsprague

bsprague

Legend

• Registered
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 04:45 PM

Marine supplies like West Marine and Boaters world have it. Boats get lots of corrosion!

Bill, a DirecTV customer since 1999
--Condo: Slimline AU9, HR21-100 > Panasonic 42” Plasma with Bose CineMate, HR24-200> Sony KDL-55HX800 LED & 3D with Sony Soundbar HT-CT150, Wii
--Motorhome: 2004 40' Beaver, ISC 350 Cummins, KVH R5 - in motion, R15-500 > 30" Sharp Aquos LCD

#11 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 05:15 PM

Marine supplies like West Marine and Boaters world have it. Boats get lots of corrosion!

Had to redo every wire nut, bulb, and solderless terminal on my boat. Used good old cable grease.....no problems again..........Should not be relied upon as the only source of birth control or STD protection.

Don't ask.

Joe

#12 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:42 PM

I've been using GE II Silicone caulk for over 30 years on my home TV and ham radio connectors, and professional installations at radio/TV broadcast stations and satellite teleports for over 30 years and never had one problem. Some may note that GE II hasn't been around that long... true, and GE II is better than the original.

Your connections will withstand rain, snow, ice, wind, and remain flexible and sound in extreme heat and cold. The drawback is once you've sealed up a connector it's very difficult (but not impossible) to undo. This is really for truly permanent installations. Make sure your connections are tight and dry before sealing them up. But the stuff is great, and provides mechanical strength as well.

You've got to use GE II Silicone caulk, not one of the other brands. Clear is best.

#13 OFFLINE   joe diamond

joe diamond

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:30 PM

I've been using GE II Silicone caulk for over 30 years on my home TV and ham radio connectors, and professional installations at radio/TV broadcast stations and satellite teleports for over 30 years and never had one problem. Some may note that GE II hasn't been around that long... true, and GE II is better than the original.

Your connections will withstand rain, snow, ice, wind, and remain flexible and sound in extreme heat and cold. The drawback is once you've sealed up a connector it's very difficult (but not impossible) to undo. This is really for truly permanent installations. Make sure your connections are tight and dry before sealing them up. But the stuff is great, and provides mechanical strength as well.

You've got to use GE II Silicone caulk, not one of the other brands. Clear is best.

Scott,

I'm going to get me a tube of that stuff for just-in-case. When I run into sealed fittings (probably GE II) I just cut all the wire and fittings and start over. Sometimes you have to disconnect AND reconnect stuff. Cable grease (dielectric lubricant) works fine for this.

But sometimes you have to seal an underground cut cable. The correct procedure is to dig it all up. The ok fix is to cut fittings on the damaged ends and barrel them together--then make a puddle of caulk in a plastic bag and jamb the repair into the caulk. GE II will be it fer me.

Joe

#14 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 06:26 AM

It's true, opening up a connector sealed this way is very difficult. I've had some luck "splitting" the seal with a razor blade and pealing away the caulk. That works OK for unscrewing an F connector (or an N or UHF connector) but it does leave a mess of cured caulk clinging to everything.

I did use GE II for an underground cable repair. A radio station had a coax line running underground from a satellite dish and the local utility company found it with their backhoe. I spliced in a new section and covered the barreled splices with GE II. After they cured I re-buried it. That was back in 1990 or so and it still works.

I've not had the same results with DAP. Stick with GE II.

#15 OFFLINE   BattleZone

BattleZone

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 8,969 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:02 PM

For most applications, using a "permanent" solution like GE II isn't warranted or advisable. Technology moves too fast, and things need serviced. Silicone grease will offer the same protection but will allow servicing.

#16 OFFLINE   pm7600

pm7600

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 December 2008 - 04:07 AM

I've used a dialectric grease for the inside of the connectors and Coax-Seal for the outside of the connectors. It looks like electrical tape but thicker and soft, and seals around the outside really well.

My dish is on the heavy rain side of my house, and I've not had any problems so far (5+ years).

spam firewall