Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Do you use the mouse with your right or left hand?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 08:42 AM

I've been using a mouse since 1990. My first mouse driven computer was the Amiga A-500. Ever since then I have been using my right hand. Over the past year or so, I've been getting pain in my wrist (probably Carpal Tunnel but I'm too afraid to go to the doctor to find out). I have now switched to my left hand.

Ever since 1990, I have spent many hours on the computer both at home and at work so it's understandable that this has happened. What is very interesting is that switching to my left hand was not all that difficult and Windows makes it easy by allowing users to switch the mouse buttons around in the control panel.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Jacob S

Jacob S

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 09:18 AM

I use my right hand since I am right handed.

#3 OFFLINE   TopCat99

TopCat99

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 09:49 AM

Right hand does the mouse, touchpad, and if I'm unfortunate enough to work on an antique wiht the joystick thingamabobber, it gets right pointer finger.

A bit off topic, but is anyone else like this: I'm perfectly coordinated/ambidextrous when it comes to typing, but I can't do really anything else (at least not well) with my left hand. You should see me try to dial a rotary phone with the left one :lol:
Cable? We don't need no stinkin' cable!

#4 OFFLINE   firephoto

firephoto

Icon

• Registered
  • 863 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 10:01 AM

I saw this awhile back, it keeps you from having to twist your wrist.
http://www.handshakemouse.com/
There's this one too.
http://www.quillmouse.com/
http://www.extremete...,1034216,00.asp (a review)

I use my left hand with the track-point on my laptop quite a bit because it's on my left side and it works ok, I have the logitech mx500 and have it at the keyboard level which is just above knee level when I'm sitting. It's not too uncomfortable and the ergo keyboard helps too.

#5 OFFLINE   RichW

RichW

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 10:11 AM

I used to be left-handed but I got shot in the left side and my left arm and hand are somewhat disabled. So I had to learn to become right-handed. This was in the late 60's (before mice). So now I use the right hand for mousing but every once in a while, my brain or whatever want me to use my left hand again.

#6 OFFLINE   Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz

Day Sleeper

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,845 posts
  • LocationSacramento, CA

Posted 22 June 2003 - 10:32 AM

Right hand--especially at this time. The mouse I have both at work and at home is an optical mouse from Microsoft that also has button for going forward and back in browsing... very handy.
"In many ways, this opera does fulfil my often quoted description of what most operas is about. The tenor is trying to sleep with the soprano, and the baritone is trying to stop them." - Sean Bianco, KXPR At The Opera
Check out my list of links.

#7 OFFLINE   music_beans

music_beans

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 11:16 AM

I am so right-handed.
Do you DVR?

#8 OFFLINE   UpOnTheMountain

UpOnTheMountain

Legend/Supporter

• Registered
  • 219 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 11:46 AM

I've been using a mouse since the mid-eighties, and using a computer nearly every day since then (actually started using computers around 1980).
I have never actually considered switching to my left hand. I'm not sure if my system could handle the change :-) But it is interesting that you were able to make the change so easily.
Has it slowed you down very much?

#9 OFFLINE   Mike123abc

Mike123abc

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 2,818 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 11:54 AM

I could probably do left handed without much problem. I am mostly right handed, but I do a lot with my left too. But, now I am addicted to the side buttons on the Microsoft mouse. By default they do forward and back when in Internet Explorer. So, my thumb is busy too when reading net sites like this one. I have not seen a left handed version of that mouse.

#10 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Topic Starter
  • Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 01:03 PM

Has it slowed you down very much?

A little bit at first but it seems that once my brain realized it needed to make new neuralgic pathways, I'm pretty much as fast as my right hand now.

#11 OFFLINE   Bogy

Bogy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,229 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 05:44 PM

At my last church my secretary was still using an old xt clone when I got there. We finally got a donation of a computer built within the past (at that time) five years. Then came the hard part, getting her to use the new one. For the first time she had to use a mouse. She insisted on using her left hand. I suggested that the right hand might work better, and it did, but she would go right back to using the left hand, and it wasn't because it worked better.

I use my right hand. Because of arthritis in my right forefinger due to a knife going through it some years ago I can't see using that finger to click.
(I of course meant my left forefinger.)

#12 OFFLINE   waydwolf

waydwolf

Icon

• Registered
  • 847 posts

Posted 22 June 2003 - 05:47 PM

Hmmm, let me see.

Right Hand: mouse, eating knives, firearms, sword, baseball bat, hand tools

Left Hand: forks, spoons, fighting knives, electronics remotes, pens and pencils

Both Hands: keyboards

Strangest thing is that I couldn't learn to keyboard by the touch method for anything and drove my HS typing teacher berzerk repeatedly. But now I do it without thinking about it and frequently while not even looking at the screen, like watching television and transcribing what is going on for friends.
http://groups.yahoo....linginstallers/

Proud Supporter of any initiative to bring High Definition adult programming to cable and satellite

#13 OFFLINE   W1CPO

W1CPO

Mentor/Supporter

• Registered
  • 38 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 23 June 2003 - 05:41 AM

A bit off topic, but is anyone else like this: I'm perfectly coordinated/ambidextrous when it comes to typing, but I can't do really anything else (at least not well) with my left hand. You should see me try to dial a rotary phone with the left one :lol:

I use my right hand only. And I have the same problem as avove... well, I guess I can hold a golf club in left hand!
Les

#14 OFFLINE   Rick_EE

Rick_EE

Godfather

• Registered
  • 498 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 06:41 AM

It depends on the web site that I am on. Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   rbonzer

rbonzer

Legend

• Registered
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 01:25 PM

I use my right hand, but I write with my left. I find this to be quite effective, since I can write stuff down while I'm scrolling/clicking on things. I used to be more left-handed, but if you ever have to eat sitting in a booth with an opposite handed person (my brother), its pretty hard not to switch. I find that right handed people are usually pretty lame with their left. I always get a kick out of seeing right handed people eat steak. They hold their fork in their left hand, knife in their right to cut. Then they have to put their knife down, and transfer their fork back into their right to eat the piece. Ok, not everyone does that, but I've seen enough people who do.

#16 OFFLINE   RichW

RichW

Hall Of Fame/Supporter

• Gold Members
  • 6,526 posts

Posted 23 June 2003 - 02:04 PM

In Europe, most people, including right-handers eat with the fork always in their left hand. In some cosmopolitan places like NYC you will also see people eating this way.

Now in my part of the country, many people eat with chopsticks while others simply eat with their fingers! :)

spam firewall